Best Deal You've Ever Gotten / Best Sale You've Ever Made

4 hours ago, V3XED said:

Like others have said, too many things to really pick a 'best deal'...

but this did remind me I bought a "Mystery Grab Bag LP" from ETR a few years back.

Ā 

Ended up snagging a copy of Manipulator, long OOP for like $28, goes for about $150 on discoggs.Ā 

Very cool move by those guys, even though they have a bad rep around here, they got my respect.Ā 

Customer service wise, ETR dude has quickly responded the 2 times Iā€™ve needed help with an order and gladly providedĀ replacements/help. Some of the releases and the way info can beĀ presented (thinking those ā€˜tributeā€™ releases that underplay the fact that theyā€™re covers) makes me tilt my head sometimes but his support game is strong, in my experience.

Best deal I've ever gotten would have to be original pressings of Ben Folds Five's Whatever and Ever AmenĀ andĀ Autobiography....Ā  I think I spent about $40 each, both in pretty great condition.Ā  This was 5+ years before they got repressed.

Best sale I've ever made is easy: I sold a copy of the Thrice/Manchester Orchestra split for $250 on Discogs a few years back.Ā  That was bonkers.Ā  I listed it at that price as a joke, since there's only two songs on the thing, both mediocre covers.Ā  When someone actually bit, I followed through on the sale thinking there was no way they were serious about it.Ā  Turns out they were.

I got a Mono Pet Sounds 1st Press at a junk store in a defunct Outlet Mall. The store was called Treasure Hunt. The LP was VG+++ and $7 USD.

I felt like I stole that record when the teenage cashier bagged it up. I looked around like I was about to be Punk'd, but I made a beeline straight to my car like I just shoplifted it.

Ā 

I spent $10 with a guy from a Craistlist ad and got 40 records for $0.25 USD each.Ā  All US first presses. The haul included:

Beatles - '65, Rubber Soul, Revolver, SgtĀ Peppers (w/all inserts), White Album (w/All Inserts)

Billy Joel - about 10 1st press albums including the Stranger (my fave).

Several Stones albums

Assortment of other stuff.

Ā 

I also have a friend that works atĀ a music archive. They only have enough archive room to keep triplicates at most, so a couple times a year they have a (not-open-to-the-general-public) record sale. Any record is $1. I have spent a few hundred $$$$ over the years to get all sorts of goodies. $1 for All Things Must Pass (including poster). $1 for Eric Clapton Crossroads box set. All kinds of amazing things. I can usually sell one or two records each time to make up for my purchase costs.

Ā 

I love collecting records.

Ā 

Best Deal: I got a copy of Chasing Ghosts by the Amity Affliction off Deadformat for $15
Ā 

Best Sale: I bought a Lil Uzi Vert record for retail on RSD a few years back,Ā Ā and someone recentlyĀ offered me $300 for it. Wasnā€™t gonna say no to that haha, more power to him if he wanted to pay so muchĀ 

Edited by Han Solo

1 hour ago, Han Solo said:

Best Sale: I bought a Lil Uzi Vert record for retail on RSD a few years back,Ā Ā and someone recentlyĀ offered me $300 for it. Wasnā€™t gonna say no to that haha, more power to him if he wanted to pay so muchĀ 

People are going ape shit over those lately.Ā I have three of the four, and Iā€™m really considering extending this whole ā€œvacationā€ by another month and getting rid of all of them.

49 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

People are going ape shit over those lately.Ā I have three of the four, and Iā€™m really considering extending this whole ā€œvacationā€ by another month and getting rid of all of them.

Yeah! I didnā€™t expect the value to go up so high, but what do I know apparently. Go for it hahaĀ 

52 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

I knew Vs The World went for a lot but damn the other two shot up high fast. I like those albums but I donā€™t know about $300 like them....

Deftones Saturday Night Wrist Hot Topic Green on clearance for $6 with Glassjaw Ā EYEWTKAS 2xLP Orange for $5 because it was the last days of beingĀ able to include vinyl with theirĀ buy one get one for 50% store wide deals they would run. The good ol days before they figured it out . My only regret is not buying the other 3 copies of SNW

Edited by sugareggs

8 hours ago, sugareggs said:

Deftones Saturday Night Wrist Hot Topic Green on clearance for $6 with Glassjaw Ā EYEWTKAS 2xLP Orange for $5 because it was the last days of beingĀ able to include vinyl with theirĀ buy one get one for 50% store wide deals they would run. The good ol days before they figured it out . My only regret is not buying the other 3 copies of SNW

oh man the days of hot topic exclusive vinyl when they let you combine hot cash and clearance for them

2 hours ago, museummouth said:

oh man the days of hot topic exclusive vinyl when they let you combine hot cash and clearance for them

Every time I was on tour(2011 on)Ā and had time, Iā€™d look for the closest HT or UO, get on the cityĀ bus or walk, hit the fuck out of them and take advantage of spotsĀ where people didnā€™t collect or know what was going on, just yet.Ā Still bummed about the red Chvrches LP, green Sky Ferreira and countless HT pressings, though.Ā 

11 hours ago, bluethumb said:

Well this is fun! Nothing crazy but I snagged a NM copy of Hop Along, Queen Ansleis - Freshman Year for $15 on Reddit a year ago. I also grabbed anĀ OG pressing of The Fall of Troy - DoppelgƤnger for $20 sometime in 2012/2013.

Hop Along is a weird one. Prices are insane but when I saw them a little over a year ago they still had copies at the merch table for $20. It's been selling for more than that for a while now

4 hours ago, Sh100by said:

Hop Along is a weird one. Prices are insane but when I saw them a little over a year ago they still had copies at the merch table for $20. It's been selling for more than that for a while now

That's wild. To be honest I love this first Frances album but when I stumbled on it trolling through r/VinylCollectors I actually didn't know they ever pressed this and pulled the trigger immediately. A few days or so after I checked Discogs just for fun and saw it going for $75 or so.

I've been buying records since 1998 and I started selling around 2005/6. If something is really valuable, I'll probably sell it. But here's some stuff I kept:

I found a lady in a FB group selling her old records. I offered to pay her around $20 per LP, which was ludicrous. But it was Starflyer 59's Gold, Fashion Focus, Everybody Makes Mistakes and MXPX's Slowly Going The Way of the Buffalo, On the Cover 10" and Teenage Politics and most were sealed. There were other LP's and 7"s that weren't as fun. I paid her $230 or so but I basically paid $12 per LP after it was done because I had gotten a total of twenty records.

Ā 

I worked at a record store for store credit for a couple years. I got 2nd state Velvet Underground and Nico in supreme condition for $400 in store credit that I acquired while working. Since working in a store then was just fun, it was basically free.

Saves The Day - Through Being Cool (long before repressed) for $2 because I bought a collection and it was in it. Paid about $200Ā for about 100 LP collection.

My friend Hunter texted me on a random Wednesday night that he was going to look at records by me. I had my son with my that night and I didn't want to drag him out on a school night, but it wasn't that far from my place. It was this lady who was living in an efficiency and 1/5 of the room was filled with records. We spent an hour in there and I got some cool things but I finally found a 50's pressing of Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool in the wild. Paid $5.

Ā 

Stuff I sold:

I've never sold anything over 1K which is a goal I'm striving for, but I've still had some incredible luck. Bought a collection of 1,100 LP's last summer and it was the best thing I've scored. Paid $500 which was a lot of money at the time. But I got this LP. Only recently reissued and still selling $400+ (haven't sold mine yet):Ā https://www.discogs.com/Alice-Clark-Alice-Clark/release/558515
Ā 

Do you know the guy who played bass for Sun Ra? Me either, but this solo LP on ESP nets $200.
https://www.discogs.com/Ronnie-Boykins-Ronnie-Boykins/release/1171298

Ā 

This jazz record was in there. Always goes for a $100-250:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Awakening-Hear-Sense-And-Feel/release/1397979
Ā 

Southern University, an HBCU in Baton Rogue,Ā released a few LP'sĀ of their jazz band in the 70's (directed by NOLA's own Alvin Batiste) and these are highly sought after. This one was in this collection. I haven't sold it yet either because I'm hoping to track down another cover because mine is thrashed. But it should net me a few hundred even in the terrible shape it's in:
https://www.discogs.com/The-Southern-University-Jazz-Ensemble-Live-At-The-1971-American-College-Jazz-Festival/release/12158075

Other stuff -Ā 

A lady I bought some 45's off a couple years ago emailed me out of the blue to tell me she had more 45's. I was broke, broke and her description of what was there wasn't enticing. I paid her $80 for a few hundred junk 45's. But this was there and I wasn't sure if it was the bootleg at first or not. IĀ Ā sold this first Elvis Sun 45 for $700 at a record show:
https://www.discogs.com/Elvis-Presley-Thats-All-Right-Blue-Moon-Of-Kentucky/release/1204770

I also got this 45 in the collection too. I still have it but it's in my sale box. Rare NOLA funk record:
https://www.discogs.com/The-Q-Stop-This-Feeling-Thats-The-Way/release/8772458

Lastly, and what was probablyĀ initially my most defeated but ultimately rewardingĀ moment:Ā Stopped by a thrift store one morning after a meeting at work. Come upon the records and see a guy who just had opened a junk shop filling a cart with hundreds of records. I look and it's good jazz. Miles Davis and John Coltrane. But then it was random common shit like Jefferson Airplane in his basket too. I started looking through the stacks and nothing decent is left. "I just scored big time" the guy proclaimed and I grumbled to myself and congratulated him, wishing I didn't have to work a stupid real job that doesn't allow me to show up at thrift stores when they open. But flipping more, I noticed a Coleman Hawkins record that was a first pressing and at one time went for a couple hundred smackers. I thought it was weird the junk store dude didn't grab it. Any jazz collector knows The Hawk Flies High.Ā But then there were other imports and things that were decentĀ just not amazing. I figured the guy just grabbed stuff he recognized, so I kept looking. You know how you see a record and you can just tell it's a thing? Go look through enough records and it's all the same stuff forever and ever. Welp, came across this rare Brazilian jazz LP that I paid $2.12 w/ tax for and I sold it for this. Sent it to Japan with no tracking or anything in 2016 (which was dumb) and everything turned out fine (this was my BIN):
https://www.popsike.com/VictorVitor-Assis-Brasil-Desenhos-LP-Forma-FE-1017-STEREO-Brazil-1966-RARE/331956804909.html

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...