Best Deal You've Ever Gotten / Best Sale You've Ever Made

8 hours ago, bear801 said:

One just sold for $2300 on discogs 🤭

They only overpaid by $1400. I get that people sometimes have no options other than to pay current discogs/ buy it now prices if they  don't want to wait for something.  But paying that much for that is just dumb when it doesn't even break 1k when it goes up for auction. It also makes me wonder how often sellers fake sales on discogs. 

Edited by fish

5 hours ago, fish said:

They only overpaid by $1400. I get that people sometimes have no options other than to pay current discogs/ buy it now prices if they  don't want to wait for something.  But paying that much for that is just dumb when it doesn't even break 1k when it goes up for auction. It also makes me wonder how often sellers fake sales on discogs. 

Why would anyone fake sales? You have to pay discogs their cut whether or not you gave yourself money.

4 minutes ago, Shelby American said:

Why would anyone fake sales? You have to pay discogs their cut whether or not you gave yourself money.

I've had items I've bought there where the sales have been cancelled for various reasons (wrong pressing, item unavailable etc) still show up in the history a month or so later. While others have not. Not certain the difference but seems like there may be a loophole somehow to do it.

Edited by fish

Best deal

I stumbled in to a Hot Topic around ten years ago and noticed they had a 50% off sale vinyl section. Wound up finding The Swellers - Good For Me (clear) for $2.00 on sale, wound up being $1.00. This was right around when the record came out, clearly was marked incorrectly. I paid for that record as fast as humanly possible and scooted out of there.

1 hour ago, bear801 said:

Im pretty sure its real.  Its just that this release varies greatly by sale price.  Its not the first time its gone for $2k.  

discogs just included it in their “highest sales for July” article.  

I think this would be the 2nd time it has hit 2k. And from what I've seen the next highest 3 have only sold in the 1k-$1100 range. But this one sold for more than double what any other on discogs has sold for.

I don't necessarily doubt it as I see people with disposable income do crazy things all the time. But the prices on some of these sales are really odd. Of the 50+ sold on ebay i think all but 2 have been under 1k. One actual auction (not bin) in Jan somehow hits 2k even though there are no shortage of them selling for under 1k at the time (I'd love to see how many people actually bid over 1k on it) .  Around the same time another auction sells for $610. A week after that an auction goes for $680.  It all seems strange to me but it really is probably just some insane person buying it for their kid's birthday or something when its the only one that was available.

• 3 months later...

https://www.discogs.com/Poison-The-Well-You-Come-Before-You/release/3471111

For me, scoring a copy of the Green/White Marble variant of PTW "You Come Before You" for $19.35 CDN in Discogs back in 2016.

Also same year, finding two copies of PTW's The Tropic Rot on some Australian record store's website called Waterfront Records for $35 CDN each. 

Best deals/best sales:

--Original presses of Pearl Jam's Ten and Garbage's debut for $12 each, which I don't plan to sell.

--The 2008 press of Sara Barielles' Little Voice for $10 at a record show, before she did a repress... Put it up for $200 on Discogs a day later and it sold within hours. Probably could've priced it higher.

--The first Whiskeytown 7" (Angels EP) and their split 7" with Neko Case... Paid $2 apiece back in the 90s, sold them some years back (before Ryan got cancelled) for $200 each.

--And very old-school, but I grabbed the definitive AAA press of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road for just $25 from a nice guy on the Hoffman forum. It goes for a little more now: 
https://www.discogs.com/Elton-John-Goodbye-Yellow-Brick-Road/release/3785738

Best sale is still probably be the Beatles Mono set.... Bought for $250, sold for $1750. I'm sitting on another one still sealed in the box, not sure when I'm gonna let it go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 10:11 PM, filthyrich said:

Best deals/best sales:

--Original presses of Pearl Jam's Ten and Garbage's debut for $12 each, which I don't plan to sell.

--The 2008 press of Sara Barielles' Little Voice for $10 at a record show, before she did a repress... Put it up for $200 on Discogs a day later and it sold within hours. Probably could've priced it higher.

--The first Whiskeytown 7" (Angels EP) and their split 7" with Neko Case... Paid $2 apiece back in the 90s, sold them some years back (before Ryan got cancelled) for $200 each.

--And very old-school, but I grabbed the definitive AAA press of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road for just $25 from a nice guy on the Hoffman forum. It goes for a little more now: 
https://www.discogs.com/Elton-John-Goodbye-Yellow-Brick-Road/release/3785738

Best sale is still probably be the Beatles Mono set.... Bought for $250, sold for $1750. I'm sitting on another one still sealed in the box, not sure when I'm gonna let it go.

I can't believe how much the mono box is going for. I want it now just so I don't have to keep buying the damn albums. But I can't pay the going rate. Want to trade for cooler albums? LOL

17 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

I can't believe how much the mono box is going for. I want it now just so I don't have to keep buying the damn albums. But I can't pay the going rate. Want to trade for cooler albums? LOL

Dude for real. I’d love for it to get repressed one day so I can own it. Kinda lame how such an essential collection is so expensive. I mean, it’s the Beatles, press more.