Jump to content
mysundown1305

Best Deal You've Ever Gotten / Best Sale You've Ever Made

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I got a sealed original copy of Blind Melon - Soup for $8 a few years before it was reissued and I sold it for $250 (regret it now)

 

I had two copies of Government Plates I bought for $14 each at the record store I worked at with my employee discount and sold one on ebay buy it now for $100 the same day and kept the other one until I really needed the cash and sold that one for $250 (Biggest regret ever)

Edited by CatsNJazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

In 2000 or 2001 i was bored and drove over to “the old mall” which by then was mostly offices.   But in the 80s and early 90s it was a great place to hang out.  Really busy place.   
 

Only two stores were still open, one being the old record store.  They had some great vinyl.  Rare Pearl Jam records, other 90s alternative.  Bought everything i could afford.  

Edited by bear801

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weirdest find was a NM/NM Tool Aenima US OP on a flea market last year. Seller deemed it a bootleg and asked 20 bucks. Sold it for more than that a couple month ago. Also saw a Lateralus Promo picture disc flying around the back office of the record store I worked at at the time and was told to take it home if I wanted to. Also, not a Tool fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I got you all beat :)

 

A couple years ago I was browsing OfferUp, when I came across a seller who was asking absolutely insane prices for her vintage 7” singles (ie - she wanted $50 for common 45’s that aren’t even worth $1). I assumed it would be a waste of time looking through her ads, but as I’ve come to learn over the past 15 years,  if someone has no idea what they’re selling, they may actually underprice an item out of sheer ignorance.

 

A few minutes into browsing her sales, I ran across an odd looking Lynyrd Skynyrd 7”, which had the band name misspelled as “Lynard Skynard.” She was asking $40 for it. Out of curiosity, I decided to look it up on Discogs. It had sold once in 2015 for $12, but only 7 people had it... and 210 people wanted it. That’s when my spidey senses started tingling!

 

After doing some research, it turns out that “Lynard Skynard” was the original band name... when the group was still in high school! The 7” in question was their first recorded demo. Only a few hundred were made, and they were passed out to friends and family, and sold at their earliest hometown shows.

 

I decided to buy it immediately, sight unseen. Trying to contain my excitement without tipping off the seller of its value, I pleaded with her to make sure that it was well protected during shipping, and sent in a sturdy box. She agreed, and the wait began.

 

About 2 weeks later, I was at work when I received a notification that it had been delivered. The moment the boss yelled “Lunch Break,” I jumped into my car and sped home. Opening the mailbox, my heart absolutely sunk: She sent it in a padded envelope, with no stiffeners.  “No fucking way this thing survived,” I thought, as I pulled it out. However, it still felt solid. I opened it up, and... the vinyl was in nearly perfect condition. No scratches, glossy sheen, and almost new in appearance. 


Within a week, I sold it for $1,500. And yes, that’s the actual sold listing.

 

Not a bad $40 investment, huh? :)

Edited by cannonfunk
clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ohhhh, a whole bunch. Endserenading for $3 in 2002, sold it for more, but not what it was going for in 2009 more. Brand New - Deja for $9, Underoath - TOCS and DTGL for $8 & $10, War All The Time $8, Fall Out Boy - FUTCT $9; all from the same local store, I now live two blocks from. FOB - TTTYG Camo as a gift, but they only spent $80 on it. Deftones - Adrenaline pic disc $1. ISIS box set $150. Type O Negative box(OG) $110. Jane Doe (OG Black) $7 years after it was out and should’ve been on the wall at Amoeba. Boys Night Out - Trainwreck $30. The Promise Ring/Texas Is The Reason 7” (White) $2. Sealed copy of Fantastic Planet in 2013 for $25. The National - Cherry Tree 10” $8. The Unicorns LP (OG Pink) $15. Three Cheers(OG sealed) $10, there were two copies, I’m fucking dumb for not getting both. And was given a copy of the Crumb 2xEP 12” on pink w/ blue splatter a few years ago. Don’t know how many there are or how much it’s “worth”, it’s not even on Discogs, but I know I could get a shit ton if I were to sell it. Could go on for hours haha.

Edited by MyEnemy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ZeroNowhere said:

No, you don’t.  
 

A few weeks ago a lady gave me 100+ insanely good records, over 1,000 awesome CD’s, and a like new Nitty Gritty Mini Pro 2 record cleaning machine.  If I didn’t take it, 1-800 Got Junk would have.

I mean... you do have to try and get rid of 1000 CDs though. 😐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found Thrice TAITA first press for $4 in a clearance bin


worked at Hot Topic while they were still doing vinyl so I was able to get a lot of it discounted on top of it being in clearance. 

Thrice TAI first press in a hot topic clearance bin at a random mall in Idaho for $20
Underoath - DTGL first press on clearance

Say Anything IARB first press on clearance

 

Traded Brand New deja Entendu RSD press that I paid $20 for a copy of Glassjaw The Coloring  Book EP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the best as far as new stuff would still be that insane go hastings ebay sale. I got a ton of Grateful Dead box sets for about $15 each.

 

I've had some nice goofwill/garage sale finds.  Got a bunch of first presses of the chronic, hello nasty, 2001 for $4.

 

Found a grateful dead American beauty mofi for $2.

 

Got some lead belly boxes and albums for a buck a piece from goodwill.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2020 at 11:40 AM, cannonfunk said:

I got you all beat :)

 

A couple years ago I was browsing OfferUp, when I came across a seller who was asking absolutely insane prices for her vintage 7” singles (ie - she wanted $50 for common 45’s that aren’t even worth $1). I assumed it would be a waste of time looking through her ads, but as I’ve come to learn over the past 15 years,  if someone has no idea what they’re selling, they may actually underprice an item out of sheer ignorance.

 

A few minutes into browsing her sales, I ran across an odd looking Lynyrd Skynyrd 7”, which had the band name misspelled as “Lynard Skynard.” She was asking $40 for it. Out of curiosity, I decided to look it up on Discogs. It had sold once in 2015 for $12, but only 7 people had it... and 210 people wanted it. That’s when my spidey senses started tingling!

 

After doing some research, it turns out that “Lynard Skynard” was the original band name... when the group was still in high school! The 7” in question was their first recorded demo. Only a few hundred were made, and they were passed out to friends and family, and sold at their earliest hometown shows.

 

I decided to buy it immediately, sight unseen. Trying to contain my excitement without tipping off the seller of its value, I pleaded with her to make sure that it was well protected during shipping, and sent in a sturdy box. She agreed, and the wait began.

 

About 2 weeks later, I was at work when I received a notification that it had been delivered. The moment the boss yelled “Lunch Break,” I jumped into my car and sped home. Opening the mailbox, my heart absolutely sunk: She sent it in a padded envelope, with no stiffeners.  “No fucking way this thing survived,” I thought, as I pulled it out. However, it still felt solid. I opened it up, and... the vinyl was in nearly perfect condition. No scratches, glossy sheen, and almost new in appearance. 


Within a week, I sold it for $1,500. And yes, that’s the actual sold listing.

 

Not a bad $40 investment, huh? :)

Wild.  I feel like I've made some nice sales over the years... but never within a week's time, and certainly not at that large of a profit.  Thanks for sharing.

 

On 7/17/2020 at 12:03 PM, ZeroNowhere said:

No, you don’t.

Not everything has to be a competition on the internet.  Consider framing your posts in a different light sometime.  Cannonfunk shared a cool story that he started with a playful statement.  His response begins and ends with a smiling emoticon.  He's not beating his chest or trying to flex on all of us.  Starting a reply with "No, you don't." comes off as unnecessarily abrasive.  [vs. "Think I may have you beat, actually..." or "Not shabby at all.  But I can give you a run for your money..."]

 

Between this and you taking actual offense to the phrase "come at me" – used in jest, and aimed at no one in particular – I feel like you're maybe just bad at interpreting dialogue on the internet.  Not every discussion has to be a pissing match.  Not everyone is out to get you.  I'm not sure if you just enjoy rolling up your sleeves and pretending to be a tough guy online, or if your true demeanor is equally toxic when you step away from the keyboard... but it's bad news either way.  This part of my post was made to illustrate how others may perceive you as a dick – I don't expect you to actually take any of it to heart.  You are more than welcome to do your usual laugh-react, reply with something snide, and stew over it for the remainder of the day.  You've proven to be nothing if not a creature of habit and I don't expect that'd deviate from your tried-and-true rebuttals.

 

But I'm just saying that it was a cool experience that Cannonfunk shared.  I'm glad he posted it.  This thread isn't the Mortal Kombat tournament of flippers or profitable sales.  Instead of calling you a dick and triggering you to rage all afternoon, I'm explaining how and why you come across the way you do on the boards.

 

And as an aside, I would personally be impressed if you could net $1,460 from your stash of donated CDs.  Hardly calling it impossible.  Just stating that I'd be taken aback if you edged out the kind of profit that Cannonfunk scored.  I don't know if anyone in this thread will come close to that, realistically.  But as a reminder: there is no need to take it as a competitive challenge.  There's no way you'll EVER sell anything for the kind of profit that King Cannonfunk has set lol how's it feel to be a LOSER just roll over and take it you clearly know dick about landing a sale online lmao FLAWLESS VICTORY up in this thread haha get fucked you rookie-ass flipper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Sold: Wintersleep - untitled 1st press for $400 on Discogs a few months before they announced a repress

Did you know the repress was coming or was it just intuition?  I used to feel really scuzzy about listing certain variants or earlier presses when I caught wind of a reissue coming up.  But unless I need to own a 1st press for whatever reason, I've become very comfortable in "upgrading" to expanded editions or a better press, and pocketing the change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Did you know the repress was coming or was it just intuition?  I used to feel really scuzzy about listing certain variants or earlier presses when I caught wind of a reissue coming up.  But unless I need to own a 1st press for whatever reason, I've become very comfortable in "upgrading" to expanded editions or a better press, and pocketing the change.

Neither, I didn’t even have it for sale. I had it in my “collection” and the guy DM’d me asking if he could buy if for $400. While I loved that record I couldn’t turn down that offer. I was shocked when the PayPal came though. I bought my PM8004 with that cash. And then gladly bought the repress a few months later to my surprise

Edited by Tommy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Neither, I didn’t even have it for sale. I had it in my “collection” and the guy DM’d me asking if he could buy if for $400. While I loved that record I couldn’t turn down that offer. I was shocked when the PayPal came though. I bought my PM8004 with that cash. And then gladly bought the repress a few months later to my surprise

Damn, that couldn't have worked out better for you.  I'd love a $400 sale to fall into my lap like that.  I wonder if your buyer loses sleep over the initiative he took... that's got to sting a little bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Reshiram said:

Same. This applies to most of my hip-hop collection. Blonde is definitely in its own league though.

Pretty much. I bought Childish Gambino's Because The Internet for $30 and sold it like 2 months later for $270. It's come down since then, but I don't understand why hip-hip/rap is so volitile like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×