PO: illuminati hotties - FREE I.H: This Is Not the One You've Been Waiting For

Official store has black vinyl, first 300 pre-orders come with a zine:

https://illuminatihotties.shop.redstarmerch.com/product/XZLPIH01/free-ih-black-vinyl

Found a red/cream (/500) variant here:

https://bsmrocks.com/collections/illuminati-hotties/products/illuminati-hotties-free-i-h-this-is-not-the-one-youve-been-waiting-for-lp

Edited by discoinfiltrator07

17 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Went up last week. Sarah had white/clear w/ red streak variant(/200?), that sold out in one day.

Yeah? That sucks I want a colored variant but don't like order from BSM  (just shipping).

I really liked her last release. Unfortunately never got it on vinyl because Tiny Engines was doing that weird things where they released cassettes and then months later the vinyl. 

25 minutes ago, rooks said:

just when you think you've cringed it all.

This “mixtape” has plenty of really cheesy shit (especially that lead single) with a couple solid tracks. This release is essentially a “fuck you” to Tiny Engines (they get royalties as part of IH deal to get out of their contract). Hopefully the true LP2 that is already in the can and being released eventually will have less goofy shit.

3 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

This release is essentially a “fuck you” to Tiny Engines (they get royalties as part of IH deal to get out of their contract).

Im still VERY curious to know what exactly went down and what’s still going on. Not that it’s anyone else’s business, it definitely isn’t mine. 

58 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Im still VERY curious to know what exactly went down and what’s still going on. Not that it’s anyone else’s business, it definitely isn’t mine. 

I kinda want to know as well. They seem pretty dead? Last release was digital only and announced in November 2019. Definitely not their previous pace on releases. The ones that are there seem like their just trying to wind down and move on. I'm also still curious what's going on with the Hotelier. Like they announced their new thing that I thought was interesting idea to have a "collective" and reveal all the profits brought it, but I haven't seen any posts on their earning yet.

1 hour ago, dantheriver said:

This “mixtape” has plenty of really cheesy shit (especially that lead single) with a couple solid tracks. This release is essentially a “fuck you” to Tiny Engines (they get royalties as part of IH deal to get out of their contract). Hopefully the true LP2 that is already in the can and being released eventually will have less goofy shit.

It's a hell of a lot of fun with some real catchy hooks and a blend of unexpected influences for what was previously an upbeat indie pop band, so it's definitely been in heavy rotation the last couple'a days for me.

23 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

I kinda want to know as well. They seem pretty dead? 

So you have no idea what’s up? Here’s a little... 

As for The Hotelier, Christian always seems to be a private/low key kind of guy. I’m sure they’ll share something.

Edited by MyEnemy

Tiny Engines was accused of spending royalties earned from bigger bands (Adult Mom) on streaming services to pay for costs of signing smaller bands and everyone attacked Tiny Engines and tried to cancel them for it. It's like they don't know how extremely small indie labels work? SST did it for years and so did so many other labels. And IH bailed on their contract and fucked themselves out of money just to appear like they were standing up against 'the man' or whatever and they released this record to 'get back' at Tiny Engines for them putting out their previous album and giving them a lot of exposure. It's pretty ass backwards scene politics in my opinion, Tiny Engines has been one of my favorite labels for awhile and I feel like the amount of heat they got was unwarranted 

Edited by CatsNJazz

2 hours ago, DecayToDeath said:

It's a hell of a lot of fun with some real catchy hooks and a blend of unexpected influences for what was previously an upbeat indie pop band, so it's definitely been in heavy rotation the last couple'a days for me.

I’ve only played it once, could tell there were some earworms and got some frenetic energy akin to early Dismemberment Plan from some of that stuff. I’m sure I’ll wind up liking more of it with more listens. 

12 minutes ago, CatsNJazz said:

Tiny Engines was accused of spending royalties earned from bigger bands (Adult Mom) on streaming services to pay for costs of signing smaller bands and everyone attacked Tiny Engines and tried to cancel them for it. It's like they don't know how extremely small indie labels work? SST did it for years and so did so many other labels. And IH bailed on their contract and fucked themselves out of money just to appear like they were standing up against 'the man' or whatever and they released this record to 'get back' at Tiny Engines for them putting out their previous album and giving them a lot of exposure. It's pretty ass backwards scene politics in my opinion, Tiny Engines has been one of my favorite labels for awhile and I feel like the amount of heat they got was unwarranted 

Pretty sure I saw an interview with Chuck or Will where they did admit to getting in over their heads with the in house promotion and accounting. When you owe money to someone it doesn’t matter if you also want to try and kick off the career of another band you believe in.

I’m also a HUGE TE fan, I think I have almost every piece of physical media they’ve ever released. It sucked to see all this go down and I’m still hoping they can make any current bands happy with their arrangement and March forward, but things don’t look great.

On 7/17/2020 at 7:14 PM, CatsNJazz said:

And IH bailed on their contract and fucked themselves out of money just to appear like they were standing up against 'the man' or whatever and they released this record to 'get back' at Tiny Engines for them putting out their previous album and giving them a lot of exposure.

More specifically: IH wanted to release a new album without it being tied to TE, and no matter how they went about it - TE was guaranteed a cut of the profits from the new record even if they did not release or put any funding into it - which is actually surprising for an indie label to have such binding terms when they let other artists have their masters back. The band was unhappy with that, so they released this in the meantime as a part of their contract and also as a fun release. TE still gets what they wanted, and this is IH's best selling release to date. It's essentially the Frank Ocean "endless" situation.

This album is cool for something they wrote very fast while sorting out this situation. Sarah is an incredible engineer and song writer.

Edited by corey.

7 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

Yeah? That sucks I want a colored variant but don't like order from BSM  (just shipping).

Shipping from BSM is only like $5.12 if it's not tracked. Also worth noting - this is a one time limited edition pressing. There's less than 100 copies of the black variant in the band's store and probably not many left at BSM. And as mentioned, the clear w/ red smoke (variant I choose!) is sold out.

Also I did the artwork for this is and the packaging is nice! Reverse board matte jackets, printed inner sleeves, and there's a sticker on the shrink wrap covering Sarah's eyes like an old school mug shot.

Edited by corey.

A follow up on the Adult Mom & Tiny Engines dispute

https://indyweek.com/music/news/adult-mom-accuses-tiny-engine-breach-of-contract/

"Update: Adult Mom declared a small win on Monday, announcing on Twitter that they're getting the master recordings back for their records Soft Spots and Momentary Lapse of Happily. The label also agreed to disclose the royalties earned from their music."

On 7/17/2020 at 4:14 PM, CatsNJazz said:

Tiny Engines was accused of spending royalties earned from bigger bands (Adult Mom) on streaming services to pay for costs of signing smaller bands and everyone attacked Tiny Engines and tried to cancel them for it. It's like they don't know how extremely small indie labels work? SST did it for years and so did so many other labels. 

How did that work out for SST? Oh, that's right, most of their biggest bands jumped ship and sued to get their master recordings and unpaid royalties.

While yes, you're right that labels use money earned from bigger bands/past albums to sign new bands and release new albums, they do still have to have money to pay those bigger bands. If TE couldn't pay Adult Mom $8k in royalties for three years there's either some serious financial mismanagement going on or they vastly overestimated their ability to handle and support the number of bands they signed. That TE allegedly called Adult Mom ungrateful and blamed them for potentially hurting smaller bands on the label when they spoke up makes it clear that they have more problems than just managing money. 

Edited by ex lion tamer

20 hours ago, corey. said:

Shipping from BSM is only like $5.12 if it's not tracked. Also worth noting - this is a one time limited edition pressing. There's less than 100 copies of the black variant in the band's store and probably not many left at BSM. And as mentioned, the clear w/ red smoke (variant I choose!) is sold out.

Also I did the artwork for this is and the packaging is nice! Reverse board matte jackets, printed inner sleeves, and there's a sticker on the shrink wrap covering Sarah's eyes like an old school mug shot.

Yeah, shipping to Canada was only around $6. We can't even ship within our own country for that cheap. 

On 7/17/2020 at 2:41 PM, MCDELTAT said:

The cost for the UK version red/cream shipped to the US was a couple bucks less than the US white/clear/red variant was. Not just the shipping (which was like $12 or something for the US version, no media mail, and like $6 for the UK version shipped to the US), but the actual record was $22 UK vs. $25 US.  I lol'd and ordered the shit out of the UK one.

• 9 months later...

Not vinyl related (yet) but she has a new track out "MMMOOOAAAAAYAYA". She apparently signed with Hopeless Records and formed her own imprint under them "Snack Shack Tracks".

I like the song, was a little surprised that she continued to use this style, I honestly thought FREE I.H. was kinda just a joke/meme that turned out to be good.