Burger Records

I was looking over the IG page that exposed them a few days ago during my break at work. I've never been a fan of the label or any of its bands. Just reading what the victims have been sharing is upsetting. Such a shitty scene over there. Shoutout to these people for coming forward and exposing them.

7 minutes ago, jrodan said:

can we get this thread moved? this isn't record related and should be in the Everything Else section if anywhere.

fuck this stupid label.

While I’m not into the label and could care less if the thread is moved, this should also serve as a notice that if you’re into the label and recently ordered something, you may not get it because their web shop and everything else business related is done.  So yeah, it is record related in that sense.

4 minutes ago, ZeroNowhere said:

While I’m not into the label and could care less if the thread is moved, this should also serve as a notice that if you’re into the label and recently ordered something, you may not get it because their web shop and everything else business related is done.  So yeah, it is record related in that sense.

a fool and their money are often parted and whatnot. ;) 

I've always been on the fence about this label. I'd heard some stories, but not like what is coming out. I know some people will barf out "cancel culture" bullshit, but I am glad people are standing up to abusers of any kind. I feel like I'm hearing a new story almost every day about someone being a complete piece of shit. No one is a saint, but every story I've read sounds justified.

I just received my replacement copy of The Reflectors record just in the nick of time. I generally can't stand most bands on Burger but The Reflectors (who thankfully have nothing to do with anything related to these stories) just put out a great debut album a month ago. I hope they're able to find a new label to reissue the album because it would be a shame if it got lost in in the shuffle.

As for all the folks stepping forward, I hope they're able to heal from what they experienced.

20 hours ago, MyckelJay said:

I was looking over the IG page that exposed them a few days ago during my break at work. I've never been a fan of the label or any of its bands. Just reading what the victims have been sharing is upsetting. Such a shitty scene over there. Shoutout to these people for coming forward and exposing them.

Can you share the instagram? Would like to read it over.

28 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

Can you share the instagram? Would like to read it over.

Not the IG page but I found Brooklyn Vegan had the best writeup I'd seen of this whole mess, giving a broad overview and also lots of links to reactions from bands on the label:

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/burger-records-shuts-down-for-good/

18 hours ago, se7enstitches said:

wasnt Ryan Adams on this label?

A lot of people were "on this label" depending on how you want to define it, including about 7/8ths of the American garage/jangle/fuzz/beach rock scene, but yeah they did put out a bunch of material from one of his side projects: https://www.discogs.com/artist/2732185-The-Shit-3

Hard to say this whole thing is surprising in retrospect. Virtually everything in this label's orbit gave off powerful "27-year old burnouts who go to high school parties" energy.

2 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

A lot of people were "on this label" depending on how you want to define it, including about 7/8ths of the American garage/jangle/fuzz/beach rock scene, but yeah they did put out a bunch of material from one of his side projects: https://www.discogs.com/artist/2732185-The-Shit-3

Hard to say this whole thing is surprising in retrospect. Virtually everything in this label's orbit gave off powerful "27-year old burnouts who go to high school parties" energy.

the perv vibe is extremely strong in this scene for sure. always been with beach and yacht music. Its the sounds of Epstein Style. I brought up Adams specifically because he had pedo smoke in the media not too long ago but it seems like it got buried. Maybe not after this. 

Just now, se7enstitches said:

I brought up Adams specifically because he had pedo smoke in the media not too long ago but it seems like it got buried. Maybe not after this. 

Ah he's just been laying low, although he did put out an open letter in the Daily Mail(?) earlier this month with the standard oh I'm sober now, sorry to anyone I may have hurt, I've been working on some new material blah blah blah. And of course he put out the statement without actually attempting to privately make amends with any of the women he did hurt!

https://www.stereogum.com/2090466/mandy-moore-karen-elson-response-ryan-adams-apology/news/

Ok so heres an interesting quote from Nobunny's statement:

"When I was a freshman in HS a member of arguably the most popular punk band from Chicago ever used to come to my school after class and buy my friends and I booze and sleep with my teenage female friends. It seemed perfectly normal. It shouldn’t have been then and it shouldn't be now."

During this time (i assume 2000s) I remember the most popular pop punk groups in this city.......hmmmmm I cant wait to see how this snowballs. I was dating a girl in 2004 when we were both barely 20 and she told me about a singer who she hooked up with while underage but at the time I just let it go and she never brought it up again. 

28 minutes ago, se7enstitches said:
"When I was a freshman in HS a member of arguably the most popular punk band from Chicago ever used to come to my school after class and buy my friends and I booze and sleep with my teenage female friends.”

I was thinking about this yesterday. Ben Weasel or Jeff Pezzati. Could

be anyone though.

Edited by MyEnemy

11 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

For someone who seems to pay attention to what’s going on, this seems weird. Out of touch much?

Didn't think it sounded weird at all, I stopped getting Burger Records years ago and fell out of most of that scene when the Nashville branch fell around bands like Natural Child and Cy Barkley.  Was just trying to be more informed from a direct source.  But ooof, NoBunny.  That guy never seemed right to me.

9 minutes ago, GhostTrail said:

I could see someone viewing Alkaline Trio as "arguably the most popular pop punk band" from this city.

Yeah youre probably right. I wasnt sure what the ceiling was on popularity that still can leave you considered "from" a city, but yeah AT is probably the biggest here whose members are still non millionaire regular people. Ive heard rumors but nothing ever confirmed by anyone and my circles dont run close enough. In general I think its kind of weird for adult people to continue to play music thats mostly attractive to tweens-teens. Should be a red flag in itself...

Edited by se7enstitches