Discogs Shipping/Billing Policy Change

From Discogs staff:

Hey there,

We’re stepping up our commitment to the marketplace and working on making it a better venue for buying and selling music online. We made an announcement on the blog today about updates we’re making to the Discogs Marketplace over the next few months. These improvements are based on conversations with buyers and sellers, marketplace trends, and analytics on how buyers use Discogs.

The key takeaways are that Shipping Policies will become a requirement for all sellers by October 1, 2020. This is to ensure all listings in the marketplace will be displayed with the shipping costs, creating as much transparency as possible for buyers on the full costs of their order. Here’s more information on getting Shipping Policies set up.

The second is that we’ll be moving away from the invoicing process - you’ll no longer have to invoice your buyers and you’ll no longer receive an invoice from us. Payment from the buyer will be split at checkout, so you get paid straight away minus fees and taxes. We’re consolidating our payment methods and launching a deeper integration with PayPal which we’ll also be transitioned to by October 1, 2020.

Here’s a link to the blog post with a few more details: https://blog.discogs.com/en/were-updating-the-discogs-marketplace-for-the-2020s/

We’ll have more news, updates and product improvements coming to Shipping Policies and the checkout process coming up over the next few weeks.

All the best

It won't really affect me but it looks like there are many issues and unanswered questions for many sellers.

They're going apeshit on the Discogs Forum.

Edit to expand title

Edited by Smellman

33 minutes ago, robes said:

The invoice/fees thing is ok, but the required shipping policy will be a nightmare, especially for international shipping.

Yeah, I sold something over the weekend where the system “auto-charged” them $22.50 for a single LP.  Got to the post office and it was $24.50.  I really didn’t pad anything up for extra weight, and I wasn’t going to turn around and ask the buyer for $2 extra, but long-term I could see it being a nuisance.

Is the shipping policy mainly affecting people who do international shipments?  I haven't shipped anything internationally since the PO raised their rates 3 to 4 years ago, so I'm not aware of the prices at this point.  I do know it's not cheap shipping overseas from the US.  As Derek pointed out, $24.50 is pricey for a single lp and seems unexpectedly high.  A $2 loss, while not huge, is annoying.  It's pretty basic to set up a shipping policy for domestic US shipments with the staggered pricing of Media Mail.  Hopefully there are no major increases to Media Mail shipment costs in the immediate future.

50 minutes ago, robes said:

The invoice/fees thing is ok, but the required shipping policy will be a nightmare, especially for international shipping.

Yup, I had just restarted using international shipping on discogs but once this policy goes into affect I'll be sticking to US orders only. Having to calculate the weight/prices for each and every country for each size of order just isn't worth the headache, especially with how often the rates seem to change.

Maybe I’m in the minority, but all of this seems like an improvement to me, or that it will make things easier. 

im down with them changing the invoicing process so people have to pay right away. That’s easier as a seller; you won’t have to wait days for payment, and it’s easier as a buyer since you won’t have to wait days for an invoice. I already have my shipping policy set up, it didn’t take long. All my shipping is international, at this point I’ve got a standard rate 

Edited by Han Solo

Fortunately I seldom sell internationally these days, but after 3-4 times you’re looking at being $10 out of pocket, give or take, and that’s just dumb even if it’s spread out over a year.  Getting a scale is not exactly practical.  In the past I usually warn the buyer that it’s steep, and ask them to pay something like $26 upfront and then partial-refund them the difference.  There’s a bit of trust that goes with that but I’ve never squeezed pennies out of a sale and just about everyone is willing to go that route.  Especially since it means I can get their record out the next day, vs. using a day and a trip just to weigh their order for an exact quote.  Not sure if that will work for everyone but you may want to consider it if you haven’t.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Fortunately I seldom sell internationally these days, but after 3-4 times you’re looking at being $10 out of pocket, give or take, and that’s just dumb even if it’s spread out over a year.  Getting a scale is not exactly practical.  In the past I usually warn the buyer that it’s steep, and ask them to pay something like $26 upfront and then partial-refund them the difference.  There’s a bit of trust that goes with that but I’ve never squeezed pennies out of a sale and just about everyone is willing to go that route.  Especially since it means I can get their record out the next day, vs. using a day and a trip just to weigh their order for an exact quote.  Not sure if that will work for everyone but you may want to consider it if you haven’t.

I just added this to my policy - all international is $28 which is roughly what Australia/China/Japan cost to ship an LP and said I'd refund the difference if your country is less.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, I sold something over the weekend where the system “auto-charged” them $22.50 for a single LP.  Got to the post office and it was $24.50.  I really didn’t pad anything up for extra weight, and I wasn’t going to turn around and ask the buyer for $2 extra, but long-term I could see it being a nuisance.

If it auto charged that means you have your shipping policy set that way. Change it to whatever you want or don't have one so you can can invoice them after they place the order (until their new policy change starts, of course). Also, just guesstimate the weight and use discogs shipping or Pirate Ship's simple export rate or paypal... or anything but go to the post office! Unless you don't have a printer at home you're throwing away money doing that. 

International rates go by 1/2 lb then 2lb. Up to 2 LPs will fall under 2lb so just put 2lb. They don't check or care if you put the exact correct weight. If you had used discogs or PayPal instead of going to the post office that shipment would have cost you $21.42. With Pirate Ship is goes down to $17.95. And for domestic, Media goes by the pound. I don't have a scale and I ship shit all the time with no issues.

2 hours ago, Han Solo said:

Maybe I’m in the minority, but all of this seems like an improvement to me, or that it will make things easier. 

im down with them changing the invoicing process so people have to pay right away. That’s easier as a seller; you won’t have to wait days for payment, and it’s easier as a buyer since you won’t have to wait days for an invoice. I already have my shipping policy set up, it didn’t take long. All my shipping is international, at this point I’ve got a standard rate 

I'd agree. Just this month I waited 7 days for payment before I canceled the order...

I dont ship international either because it's always been a hassle and never ends well, so I have always had a flat rate for any record any number and just deal with it. Pay print and ship through paypal.

14 hours ago, pizza face said:

I suck and don't ship internationally. My flat rate fee is $5. Media mail is usually like $3-4 but I package with care so the rest is a handling fee I guess. 

Completely agree. However, I don’t think you suck. I don’t ship international cause it’s expensive, prices change, customs is a pain (which varies per country), and the timeline is always a “guess”. I’m also tired of ordering records just to have someone charge me $6+ for shipping. I get the price of a mailer / packaging, time, gas to the post, but I’d rather them build that into the record price. Kinda like the whole:

Item: $100 done. 
Same Item: $90 + $5 shipping ... whaaaa! 

I just hope this helps with the normalizing / consistency of shipping prices. I got charged $5 for a 7” the other day. The guy folded up a thick piece of cardboard and duct taped it shut. 😕

Edited by Dave Grohl
Spelling

4 hours ago, morfiend said:

Yup, I had just restarted using international shipping on discogs but once this policy goes into affect I'll be sticking to US orders only. Having to calculate the weight/prices for each and every country for each size of order just isn't worth the headache, especially with how often the rates seem to change.

Heres a tip: Canada/Mexico is the same. Europe/Asia/Africa is the same. Australia/New Zealand is the same. All you need to do is set up 4 regional policies including domestic. Do it by grams in brackets of 900. The rest writes itself

3 minutes ago, se7enstitches said:

Heres a tip: Canada/Mexico is the same. Europe/Asia/Africa is the same. Australia/New Zealand is the same. All you need to do is set up 4 regional policies including domestic. Do it by grams in brackets of 900. The rest writes itself

This isn’t true as of July 1st, they fractured the zone pricing greatly when USPS renegotiated  their Universal Postal Union (UPU) rates since they were upset with China getting such a good deal to ship to the US.

It’s not massively different but I’ve noticed the USPS First Class rate for a LP to Europe can now be anywhere from approximately $21 to $27 so that’s over a $5 spread to that one region alone.

17 hours ago, mike said:

If it auto charged that means you have your shipping policy set that way. Change it to whatever you want or don't have one so you can can invoice them after they place the order (until their new policy change starts, of course). Also, just guesstimate the weight and use discogs shipping or Pirate Ship's simple export rate or paypal... or anything but go to the post office! Unless you don't have a printer at home you're throwing away money doing that. 

International rates go by 1/2 lb then 2lb. Up to 2 LPs will fall under 2lb so just put 2lb. They don't check or care if you put the exact correct weight. If you had used discogs or PayPal instead of going to the post office that shipment would have cost you $21.42. With Pirate Ship is goes down to $17.95. And for domestic, Media goes by the pound. I don't have a scale and I ship shit all the time with no issues.

Tell me more about Pirate Ship? Upfront costs? What do I need? What's the catch!?

15 hours ago, se7enstitches said:

Ive had my shipping brackets set up for years so luckily this one will whiff by me. Also thats great news about not getting billed and instead getting your net profits right away. 

I didn't read the whole thing. How's that going to work? They're going to directly pay discogs and then discogs will send you the net? Will be interesting to see how this goes, but glad that hopefully I won't be paying a 3% fee on taxes anymore.

Just now, billya said:

I guess I am the one person who will miss invoices. It's great to be able to have the money in hand and then pay the invoice with a rewards credit card to get some free miles/points.

I'm with you on this. It was like Discogs was basically giving you a free 30-day loan in the amount of the fees/taxes, then you got even more back if you paid them with a rewards credit card like you're saying.

(It's no wonder they're ending that!)