PO SOON: Touché Amoré-Lament

2 hours ago, Chrundle The Great said:

few catchy melodies here and there but they're far outweighed by bland filler and big yikes lyrics like the entire opening of the last track "A Forecast", where the only conclusion I can draw is he's complaining about not getting calls on the anniversary of his [mom's?] death (strange form of grief), and then in the next breath says some of his still living families members are "dead to him" because they differ from him politically. Like, grow up, man. There's other examples, but i'm one that can be turned off from a project by just a few shallow lyrics, so that's on me.

The beginning of A Forecast really really feels like Jeremy's best attempt at something Matt Berninger would write. If you know the song Not In Kansas from the most recent National album, it sounds very much like that. He's a huge National fan (as am I), so it didn't put me off too much, but I can see it coming out of left field and being a big wtf moment in the album

Not only that, but I mean... when you commit an entire record to the dynamic you had with your parent or loved one, the documentation of their death, and how it's changed you as a person in the aftermath – where do you go from there?  How do you follow that up?  Do you release another album grieving your mom's death, with additional reflection?  Seems like that'd be phoning it in, hard.  I read that Jeremy really struggled when he sat down to write a followup to Stage Four.  (Understandably so.)  There was allegedly a lot of dwelling and reflection before he arrived at the conclusion that it's acceptable to just go for it, and pen an album that's simply him and his headspace in the current year.  That's what we got.  It's obviously not as poignant or profound as Stage Four... and it makes sense if you feel Lament is an inherently "shallow" listen by comparison, lyrically.  As someone who's not filtered by lyrics – 90% of the time at least – I personally have few qualms, even if moments can be perceived as "whiny" or whatever.  Even if you think the intro to A Forecast is painfully self-centered or wallowing, or find yourself triggered by Jeremy's political nods, I think all of it melts away the moment the full band dives in like a clap of thunder.  It's probably one of my favorite moments on the record, to be honest.

Interesting sidebar on that closer, by the way –

Screen-Shot-2020-10-09-at-12-45-31-pm.pn

Anyway, any "cringe" lyrics aside, I think the musicianship on the album is sublime.  That's what personally keeps me coming back.  I feel like they ramped it up on Stage Four, especially with memorable guitar lines.  And that upward trend is alive and well on Lament if you ask me.  Drumming is top-notch, and there are several moments where the bass hits all the right spots.  Even on first listen I found myself impressed with some of the dips and instrumental breaks on several songs.  Between that and no shortage of strong vocal hooks, I foresee way more replay value in Lament than their earlier albums, for me.  I think they're on a hell of a trajectory.

~ I will sing this song because I am so sad and so others can feel my pain that I bury deep inside for so long in plain view - oh the misery woe is life ~

gets pretty old....  as @Chrundle The Great said, nothing memorable.

if I wanted blatantly emo self-deprecating ethos, there’s bands that do this way better imo. I think all this “spokesperson for sorrow” shit got to Jeremy’s head.

35 minutes ago, Shelby American said:

Track-marked amoeba lands craft; cartwheel of scratches
Dress the tapeworm as pet
Tentacles smirk please; flinched the cocooned meat
Infra-recon forget?

lolz yeah, but Cedric's lyrics don't make me think he's a bad person like some of these new Touche ones do. Cedric's stage antics and interviews make me think he's a bad person.

Imagine thinking Jeremy, who by all accounts seems like one of the kindest dudes in this scene, is a “bad person” because he wrote lyrics about being bummed his closest friends emotionally let him down a few times. And about how he doesn’t want anything to do with his MAGA relatives. Imagine.

Edited by dantheriver

3 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Imagine thinking Jeremy, who by all accounts seems like one of the kindest dudes in this scene, is a “bad person” because he wrote lyrics about being bummed his closest friends emotionally let him down a few times. And about how he doesn’t want anything to do with his MAGA relatives. Imagine.

2WoeIsMe4me

7 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

its more that if you consider your relatives "dead to you" (his words) if they don't agree with your political ideology, then yeah i think you're probably not a good person. spicy take these days, i get it.

10 minutes ago, Chrundle The Great said:

its more that if you consider your relatives "dead to you" (his words) if they don't agree with your political ideology, then yeah i think you're probably not a good person. spicy take these days, i get it.

Alright, maybe a little dramatic – no mistake there – but it seems incredibly shortsighted to dismiss an entire album and band's output because "singer wrote bad lyric.  Singer man selfish.  Selfish bad singer man."

11 minutes ago, Chrundle The Great said:

Anybody still on team Trump at this point would be fuckin dead to me too. Easy enough to screw up and “give him a chance” 4 years ago but people who are still with that guy at this point seem way more like the bad people to me.

And of course you know it’s a song lyric so could very well be hyperbole...

1 hour ago, dantheriver said:

Anybody still on team Trump at this point would be fuckin dead to me too. Easy enough to screw up and “give him a chance” 4 years ago but people who are still with that guy at this point seem way more like the bad people to me.

And of course you know it’s a song lyric so could very well be hyperbole...

Its funny how people are targeting this one line when it's one of the ones that hit closest to home for me. I have distanced myself from all friends or relatives who still support the GOP. They're not dead, but they're no longer a cancer in my life. 

1 hour ago, thejesseb said:

Not sure if its been mentioned but /300 record release variant during their livestream Monday.

spacer.png

Gonna need to grab that, I've got the alt covers for Dead Horse and PTSBBAM, so I for sure need this. Still trying to track down the alt cover of Stage Four :(

Absolutely love the new record, and maybe I’m the minority here, but does anyone else think the production is just a tad bit off? Been jamming on a road trip n the album doesn’t hit as hard as any of their other recordings. Really had to crank up the volume to get the full effect. Wish it was just a bit louder and had more of a “punch” to it. Maybe that’s just me tho?

1 hour ago, dantheriver said:

Anybody still on team Trump at this point would be fuckin dead to me too.

1 hour ago, Buffbloom said:

I have distanced myself from all friends or relatives who still support the GOP. They're not dead, but they're no longer a cancer in my life. 

Never been a Trump guy myself, but I think it takes great hubris to assume you've reached a point of political enlightenment to not even speak to your own family members or friends if they disagree with you. it means you must be confident you know all relevant information on the subject, and there is no room for discussion with those who don't see it your way, or even why they don't. it goes further than that because it assumes these people also have no value in your life. I think that would be a sad way to live, unless this is all hyperbole and you don't mean what you're saying.

try to remove yourself from the specific GOP/Trump iteration and look at it objectively, because it is a lack of empathy, by definition. and isn't empathy what family's all about?

pseudo-philosophical rant over, have a great weekend everybody

2 hours ago, Chrundle The Great said:

Never been a Trump guy myself, but I think it takes great hubris to assume you've reached a point of political enlightenment to not even speak to your own family members or friends if they disagree with you. it means you must be confident you know all relevant information on the subject, and there is no room for discussion with those who don't see it your way, or even why they don't. it goes further than that because it assumes these people also have no value in your life. I think that would be a sad way to live, unless this is all hyperbole and you don't mean what you're saying.

try to remove yourself from the specific GOP/Trump iteration and look at it objectively, because it is a lack of empathy, by definition. and isn't empathy what family's all about?

pseudo-philosophical rant over, have a great weekend everybody

Spoken like someone who hasn’t seen family members reveal themselves as unrepentant pieces of subhuman shit over the last four years.

album is great

6 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Spoken like someone who hasn’t seen family members reveal themselves as unrepentant pieces of subhuman shit over the last four years.

album is great

Seeing your aunt and uncle defend the cop that killed George Floyd hits a little different than when they say they're anti-abortion.

Lament definitely exceeded my expectations, there are no "skippable" tracks, imo