PO SOON: Touché Amoré-Lament

29 minutes ago, NoWorthyIcons said:

I'm good. I just hope I can least sell such a fuck up of a variant back at cost, tbh.

Or you could just listen to it. even though you don’t like the way the variant turned out, something tells me the music on it is the same 

If your issue is you now own like 6 copies of the same record, that’s your own fault 

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

10 hours ago, NoWorthyIcons said:

If my sealed copy of a /500 press is worth less than what it was when I bought it because of this fuck up, I might send out an email. Not that it would change anything, but I guess doing something is better than nothing.

Yeah, don't be the "Karen" of record buyers. Writing a strongly worded email about a variant color not coming out like the picture is ridiculous. It's just what happens when you buy wacky variants. You'll be fine.

10 hours ago, NoWorthyIcons said:

If my sealed copy of a /500 press is worth less than what it was when I bought it because of this fuck up, I might send out an email. Not that it would change anything, but I guess doing something is better than nothing.

Be sure to cc Touche on that email so you can let them know you don’t care about the actual music either.

37 minutes ago, ethereal said:

Brb going to count the splatters on all my variants to make sure they are all achieving maximum market value 

Imagine complaining about splatter consistency all the time and then pretending like you don't care while still giving away how much you care by mentioning splatter when this isn't a splatter problem.

I often forget that people buy 10 copies of one record and don't play any of them. However, I have no intention of ordering the kids off my lawn. Yeah, labels figured out long ago they'd make more money with variants. I know I'm old school - and at this point just plain old - but I'd rather have 10 different pieces of music than 10 copies of a single album. I should be more respectful however of the ol' motto: different strokes for different folks. 

Real quick, guys... as fun as it is to circle-jerk and shit on an easy target, I'd like to go on record as saying NoWorthyIcons is a good dude, and hardly a "Karen" with vinyl.  I've known him for years – as an online acquaintance, anyway – and homie hasn't flipped a single record in his life.  Not even sure if he's sold one, to be honest with you.  Just this year he's started to really get back into the world of vinyl and collecting newer releases he's slept on – he's been out of the loop for a little bit.  I don't want to speak entirely on his behalf, but before 2020 I don't think he was in a position where he was ordering new releases or being subjected to the classic "mockup vs. end product" dilemma we're all used to.

But I can confirm he bought two copies of Lament, tops.  A splatter variant he's just "okay" with - but is considering selling? - and this Revolver color-way.  I can also confirm he's just as nerdy and particular as most of us are about the way our vinyl turns out.  Pretty understandable when you're passionate about the music on the record and settling for one copy.  Lord knows I do the same.  I have 100% sold off a pre-order because I was disappointed with the way it turned out, just to fund a different variant that suits my preferences better.  Yeah, it all sounds the same at the end of the day.  (More or less, anyway.)  There's nothing wrong with caring about the way your collection looks, though.  Vinyl itself is a pretty tangible medium; it's really the only excusable format to care that much about.

I ended up grabbing a deluxe copy of Lament a week or two after I placed my Revolver order.  I only need 1 copy, truly, but I kept the Revolver order because I figured the merge could end up making for a really cool variant.  If I didn't have the deluxe, I would actually sell off my sealed Revolver (at cost) and buy an electric blue or that Euro splatter.  Both variants are more appealing to me despite sounding identical.  And at the end of the day, as someone who doesn't own 6+ copies of this thing, I want to be jazzed when I go to listen to the 1 copy on my shelf.  There's no crime in that.  I enjoy tracking down cool variants for just about every album I'm fond enough to buy; there is very little black vinyl or "bleh" variants on my shelf, proportionate to appealing variants I own.  That's been my MO for a decade now and I have no regrets.  Not gonna' knock anyone who feels similarly.

And finally, I highly doubt NoWorthyIcons would actually e-mail a label or distro to complain about a variant or demand a discount in the process.  Not gonna' speak for him, or anything like that... but those who ordered the Revolver variant paid extra (it was like ~$30 shipped, wasn't it?), waited longer to receive it, and ended up with something way different than described.  Which, yeah, it happens.  If you've been buying pre-orders for years, you're used to it and may shrug it off.  If you're newer to that disappointment, then maybe it leaves you pretty salty.  I'm somewhere in the middle – not surprised, but still annoyed.  Not furious or anything but strongly considering selling it, in all honesty.  Call it petty or whatever you want.  It is what it is.  I just think it's unfair to accuse someone – who has been a positive influence to many threads and discussions on VC – as some kind of uptight, "vinyl portfolio" Karen when it's not the case.

My wordy 2¢.  Appreciate anyone who took the time to read it.

Edited by Derek™

I don't know the dude, but when you start talking about a variant coming out different than a mock-up as possibly being "newsworthy" and dragging a pressing plant through the mud, AND writing an email about your disappointment, it's time to take an edible or crack a beer, cuz you're doing too much.

6 hours ago, jerseydave77 said:

Where this thread went in the past 24 hours is a throwback reminder of why I quit coming around for a long time. These aren't freaking pokemon cards. 

But we missed you!!

...I still have an RFC shirt you sold me many moons ago... 

Edited by AdventureIsOutThere

7 hours ago, jerseydave77 said:

Where this thread went in the past 24 hours is a throwback reminder of why I quit coming around for a long time. These aren't freaking pokemon cards. 

Can I get my /500 pressing PSA graded, hoping for a Mint 10. Maybe get an acrylic frame for it too.

I think we're all guilty of being picky, I can't be the only one who's traded a variant I already own just to get the same one that turned out better.

Edited by jkteddy77

On 10/29/2020 at 8:55 PM, al-naafiysh said:

But don't they do a test one first? Something like a vinyl blob turning out totally wrong seems much easier to quickly spot and fix than a flawed stamper or poor mastering. From my limited understanding, the machines aren't usually unattended

Aren't test pressings primarily for sound evaluation?  I have a hard time believing a band that does as many variants as TA does a test run for each variant.

Also, the machine operators have probably never seen a mockup of what the finished product is intended to look like.  Checking the specificity of the variant is not part of their QA process.

Plants, and I’m assuming and hoping press operators know what a mix, or effect, is supposed to look like. Labels, or whatever is the manger in charge of ordering, orders based on that. Color(s), and effect. The plant/press operators just go off that. The problem here lies in, somewhere along the line, someone ordered or something got fucked up, and instead of translucent aqua, which I’m sure this was intended to be, got turned into sort of Electric Blue. 

Also, as I’ve seen with some Color In Color pressings this year, if anyone remembers the Protomartyr record among others, the C/C effect has turned into more of an C/C meets Aside/Bside. That looks exactly like what’s going on here. Who’s fault is that? Is there a fault? Or for whatever reason, kind of like the Protomartyr records, the plant started with the solid color and Aside/Bside effect, and ended with the translucent C/C? In any case, there are 500+ of these, most of these records, more than likely, aren’t all going to look like that. 

Edited by MyEnemy

Jokes aside that is probably the worst “wait, that’s it?” variant mishap and shakeout that I’ve seen in 11 years of buying vinyl.  I’ve seen some barely-there swirls and some splatters that were truly more dribbles than anything else.  But this takes the cake.  It looks like the blue LP dipped its toe in black and said “wow, nope.  Fuck that.  I’m out.”

19 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Jokes aside that is probably the worst “wait, that’s it?” variant mishap and shakeout that I’ve seen in 11 years of buying vinyl.  I’ve seen some barely-there swirls and some splatters that were truly more dribbles than anything else.  But this takes the cake.  It looks like the blue LP dipped its toe in black and said “wow, nope.  Fuck that.  I’m out.”

It just looks like when you have a bad opaque color C/C combo. I’ve worked on records that’ve come out like this, and have more than a few too(I try to stay away from things I know are going to turn out this way). I bet there’s more of an outline of the black, beyond the “haze”, if it were held to the light. But I’m still of the mind that someone royally(no pun) fucked up in the ordering or translating process. Happens a lot. 

Whats getting me, is the weird outlining black, as if it were an Aside/Bside effect going on too. Which again, I think you and I actually were having a bit of a discussion about it, the newest Protomartyr record turned out, even though it was supposed to be C/C and eventually was.

Edited by MyEnemy