PO SOON: Touché Amoré-Lament

2 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

It just looks like when you have a bad opaque color C/C combo. I’ve worked on records that’ve come out like this, and have more than a few too(I try to stay away from things I know are going to turn out this way). I bet there’s more of an outline of the black, beyond the “haze”, if it were held to the light. But I’m still of the mind that someone royally(no pun) fucked up in the ordering or translating process. Happens a lot. 

Whats getting me, is the weird outlining black, as if it were an Aside/Bside effect going on too. Which again, I think you and I actually were having a bit of a discussion about it, the newest Protomartyr record turned out, even though it was supposed to be C/C and eventually was.

Yeah, there was some variety with that Protomartyr at least.  And even if it didn’t totally resemble the mockup at least you could kind of see what they were going for on the weaker copies.  Are you suspecting that this Revolver variant of Lament may have some subtle “layer” effects going on when held up to the light?  That wouldn’t totally surprise me, but I’m also thinking the mixtures / instructions were totally botched – for all intents and purposes, I think it’s basically the “aqua blue” (indie) variant.  I’m sure it sounds fine but I canceled that same indie variant for $20 to wait longer and pay $10 extra for... this.  It may have some variation when held up to the light, but yeah... if color-in-color variants are going this sideways these days, I’m probably gonna’ avoid them to.  I’ve had pretty consistent luck with them turning out amazing – probably among my favorite variants when done right – but this one is a little... eh.  For me, I don’t think I’d be half as letdown if this was still its own, unique variant, you know?  I’d gladly take it for what it is.  But that aforementioned price increase and wait time to have something that is almost identical to the versions my friends have had for 3 weeks now?  Eh.  At least it’s having me feel way, way less guilty about snagging that deluxe in addition.

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, there was some variety with that Protomartyr at least.  And even if it didn’t totally resemble the mockup at least you could kind of see what they were going for on the weaker copies.  

It was is there were two completely different variants among one solid pressing. One looked as if it were a Aside/Bside(which is the only effect I’ve seen where colors border the outer ridges of the record, like this one) w the colors reversed and a basic C/C, some better than others. Unless Domino did do something weird for the EU orders. But what I’m saying is the plant, more than likely the same plant, could be doing the same thing here.

9 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Are you suspecting that this Revolver variant of Lament may have some subtle “layer” effects going on when held up to the light?  That wouldn’t totally surprise me, but I’m also thinking the mixtures / instructions were totally botched – for all intents and purposes, I think it’s basically the “aqua blue” (indie) variant.

No, what I’m saying is this is what happens when you take two opaque colors and use a C/C effect, it usually doesn’t work out and the inside color will hardly peak through, but you can see that it’s there, if you look at it in the light. The outside color dominates too much and it only makes a faze effect, a lot of the time. The layering or whatever isn’t intentional. I wasn’t aware that there was another “Aqua” variant and it was opaque. From the mock, and with my years of knowledge working in and collecting, I’d assume “Aqua” would be translucent, which it

definitely should’ve and more than likely was supposed to be. Colors and their names are always changing and it does get confusing, but plants do make it simple for you to differentiate and you to know what you’re ordering, even though it is annoying they use terms like “Aqua” for translucent and opaque colors. But yeah, someone, somewhere fucked up. Or whoever was in charge thought the opaque/opaque would work out. Anyone in charge of operations at Epitaph should better than that. 

22 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

It may have some variation when held up to the light, but yeah... if color-in-color variants are going this sideways these days, I’m probably gonna’ avoid them to.  I’ve had pretty consistent luck with them turning out amazing – probably among my favorite variants when done right – but this one is a little... eh.  For me, I don’t think I’d be half as letdown if this was still its own, unique variant, you know?  I’d gladly take it for what it is.  But that aforementioned price increase and wait time to have something that is almost identical to the versions my friends have had for 3 weeks now?  Eh.  At least it’s having me feel way, way less guilty about snagging that deluxe in addition.

That’s just what it is. The owner of the label I used to work for learned early on that, ALMOST, any two opaque colors are not going to mix well in a C/C effect and you gotta let bands know that can’t be an option. I learned from that, and didn’t make that an option when I took over. Took that into my collecting too. Most of the C/C variants I have are rad though. Just gotta know what you’re doing. Everything it worth, the mock up and description made

perfect sense, I totally understand why people would be upset. But now k owing there was another variant with the same description, but opaque, does, again, make me think someone did fuck up, and it makes it a bigger issue.

23 minutes ago, Iggy_Pilot said:

The Discogs submission has some pictures now, too:

Side A

Side B

Yeah! That crazy Color In Color/AsideBside effect happening. I don’t know what the fuck is going on. I sound like a fucking crazy idiot, I’m sorry. Too many years of collecting/not as many years working in records, this type of shit is what drives me wild haha.

There’s going to be some wilder variations going on, once everyone starts getting theirs. Still not what everyone expected, but should be interesting.

Edited by MyEnemy

33 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, there was some variety with that Protomartyr at least.  And even if it didn’t totally resemble the mockup at least you could kind of see what they were going for on the weaker copies.  Are you suspecting that this Revolver variant of Lament may have some subtle “layer” effects going on when held up to the light?  That wouldn’t totally surprise me, but I’m also thinking the mixtures / instructions were totally botched – for all intents and purposes, I think it’s basically the “aqua blue” (indie) variant.  I’m sure it sounds fine but I canceled that same indie variant for $20 to wait longer and pay $10 extra for... this.  It may have some variation when held up to the light, but yeah... if color-in-color variants are going this sideways these days, I’m probably gonna’ avoid them to.  I’ve had pretty consistent luck with them turning out amazing – probably among my favorite variants when done right – but this one is a little... eh.  For me, I don’t think I’d be half as letdown if this was still its own, unique variant, you know?  I’d gladly take it for what it is.  But that aforementioned price increase and wait time to have something that is almost identical to the versions my friends have had for 3 weeks now?  Eh.  At least it’s having me feel way, way less guilty about snagging that deluxe in addition.

Color in color only seems to work when the base color is a clear or translucent 

On my variant that I posted earlier — and apologies for the lighting — there is nothing noteworthy when held up to the light. 

On the A side, there is a subtle black burst around the label, as well as the black on the perimeter, but overall my copy is almost entirely that aqua color. 

It’s a big disappointment, but I think mine looks less... bizarre that the others that have been posted. 

Edited by sealed

9 hours ago, tdogg241 said:

Aren't test pressings primarily for sound evaluation?  I have a hard time believing a band that does as many variants as TA does a test run for each variant.

Also, the machine operators have probably never seen a mockup of what the finished product is intended to look like.  Checking the specificity of the variant is not part of their QA process.

I don't believe for a second that the pressing plant was unfamiliar with the mockups. I'm pretty sure the possible color combinations (and likely the photoshopped mockups themselves) usually come from the pressing plant. Plants use multi-colored vinyl "pucks" to achieve multicolored pressings. They know what it should look like. (You might notice that indie punk band 7"s from the same eras often have the same similar colors combos/marbles/splatters, from URP or the like. They choose from what's available)

It is not an issue of the labels/artists dreaming up things that are impossible. Pressing plants would not accept orders for things that can't be done. This is a clear example of someone not caring about the final product. Maybe the blue should have been transparent, maybe the pucks were just badly mixed; who knows.

Whether or not a true "test pressing" is made, low-numbered pressings are usually made one at a time; just 500 copies were almost definitely done by one single stamper. It would have been obvious if the first one came out wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love the album and will be keeping mine. But considering I paid like $10 extra and waited longer? Kinda lame. This could have been avoided. /end rant

13 hours ago, al-naafiysh said:

I don't believe for a second that the pressing plant was unfamiliar with the mockups. I'm pretty sure the possible color combinations (and likely the photoshopped mockups themselves) usually come from the pressing plant. Plants use multi-colored vinyl "pucks" to achieve multicolored pressings. They know what it should look like. (You might notice that indie punk band 7"s from the same eras often have the same similar colors combos/marbles/splatters, from URP or the like. They choose from what's available)

It is not an issue of the labels/artists dreaming up things that are impossible. Pressing plants would not accept orders for things that can't be done. This is a clear example of someone not caring about the final product. Maybe the blue should have been transparent, maybe the pucks were just badly mixed; who knows.

Whether or not a true "test pressing" is made, low-numbered pressings are usually made one at a time; just 500 copies were almost definitely done by one single stamper. It would have been obvious if the first one came out wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love the album and will be keeping mine. But considering I paid like $10 extra and waited longer? Kinda lame. This could have been avoided. /end rant

Bands and labels are the ones creating their own mock ups. So no one at the plant knows what a band or labels mock up is going to be, just what the effect should be. Plants give you stock image menu of colors and effects they are able to produce at the moment. These all change depending on what plant or what’s available to them. 

Again, as someone who’s dealt with this firsthand this was most likely what happened A) manager of operations, in charge of this release, at Epitaph either 1: Had the band ask for this they thought this was going to work. They should know better. 2: Getting their colors mixed up when sending in order sheet. Intended translucent but sent in opaque. 3: Completely getting the mock up wrong when sending it to Revolver to post, OR getting the description wrong when sending it to Revolver(which is basically the same thing as A)2). B ) Pressing plant got the colors mixed up on the order sheet and went with the wrong colors for this pressing, someone at Epitaph/King’s Road/Revolver didn’t check the records to see if they were the right variant before sending them out. This happens sometimes. Plants fuck up, as a label, you make sure to catch these things before they go out, and use your best judgment on how to proceed with the 500 records you didn’t ask for. But for the most part anyone working at a pressing plant is doing what they’re told. It’s not their fault if something comes out particularly crappy, especially in this case, ESPECIALLY if this is what was intended to be the variant, that’s the fault of whoever wanted the variant in the first place(more than likely the band) and whoever was in charge of ordering it(someone at Epitaph) who should’ve known better and not let it happen. Someone working at pressing plant is trying to do their job, in a FUCKING PANDEMIC, to give you these little discs you collect that play music you like on it. They do a great fucking job at it too(some will disagree, shove it up your ass. You’re the type of person that shits on the USPS too)! Anyways...

Understandably, people are going to be upset, no matter what. I will say this, it is the job of the label or someone at the label to make sure these things don’t happen, and if they do, to catch these things before anything goes out to

the public, and if that happens then make it a point to figure out what the hell actually did go wrong, find what/where the problem is and take credit for the fuck up or at least acknowledge it and do something about it. Personally I would say keep posting and tagging the band, Epitaph and King’s Road(I’m assuming that’s still who sent out the Revolver variant? Correct me if I’m wrong. Chances are they were just sent to Revolver’s fulfillment company, wherein the main quality control issue can really lie and they just sent them out without checking if the colors were correct) and just see what’s up. Email Epitaph and Touché and try and get some answers.

Edited by MyEnemy

Looking at the mock up, now, knowing that there was another opaque aqua variant, I’m just going to guess they(band) thought this was going to work, when whoever is in charge(label manager) should’ve known that it most definitely wasn’t going to.

It does look like it can and most definitely should be translucent on the mock, but it definitely also looks opaque. 😑

I’m just here to be an impartial person trying to help figure out this conundrum with the best of my ability and knowledge. 🤷‍♀️

On 10/30/2020 at 8:44 AM, Shelby American said:

Imagine complaining about splatter consistency all the time and then pretending like you don't care while still giving away how much you care by mentioning splatter when this isn't a splatter problem.

we get it, you’re still mad and crying because I called you out for having no life.
Please continue to confirm this for us, it’s quite entertaining (and mildly disturbing)

PS how’s that revolver variant treating you? 🤣

Edited by ethereal

It’s a bummer but these things happen. Legit if you send an email to a label or band asking why the mock-up was cooler than the finished product then you are a weenie. 
Also, the band already replied to that guy on Twitter saying basically that exact thing...

it’s sick to do the avengers guy meme and crack other jokes on the board but beyond that just deal with it. Spin the record or put it on your shelf forever or sell it or get real mad and smash it. Who gives a fuck?

Can we get back to talking about the music and forget about the way variants look for a second? 

I have to say, I completely understand the “collectibility” of vinyl and how it’s compelling and exciting, but it’s really upsetting to see a mishap of a variant pressing make people upset enough to complain and send emails about being upset about a variant. 

But then again, I guess those same people who complain and whine about variants will fall out of vinyl in due time and move on to the next “cool” thing so, to each their own, I suppose. 

19 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I think MyEnemy may be suggesting an e-mail just to confirm suspicions.  Not to necessarily whine, seek reimbursement, or shame anyone.

Exactly. Not any of those things at all. But like the variant everyone thought they were getting, some sort of transparency.

On 11/1/2020 at 4:07 PM, ethereal said:

we get it, you’re still mad and crying because I called you out for having no life.
Please continue to confirm this for us, it’s quite entertaining (and mildly disturbing)

PS how’s that revolver variant treating you? 🤣

I think I've been pretty steady trolling your stupidity ever since that group buy meltdown you had. Nothing to do with anything you've said to me, I just know you're easily mad and honestly feel joy getting a reaction from you and only you my love. Its funny, no deeper meaning. Keep using your insecurities as insults though you're fooling everyone lol

On 11/3/2020 at 6:48 PM, Shelby American said:

I think I've been pretty steady trolling your stupidity ever since that group buy meltdown you had. Nothing to do with anything you've said to me, I just know you're easily mad and honestly feel joy getting a reaction from you and only you my love. Its funny, no deeper meaning. Keep using your insecurities as insults though you're fooling everyone lol

okay, miss pro troll 1000 who uses this excuse when her feelings get toooo hurt lmao thx for the paragraph loser.

My Revolver copy just shipped! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

now make yourself useful and post a pic of your stupid ass revolver variant so we can all laugh at you more.
time to get this thread back on track!

Edited by ethereal

51 minutes ago, counterfiction said:

I haven't posted here in 9 years but I'm glad to see the community hasn't changed much.

Also, my copy ended up being about 95% blue with a very slight black haze around the center logo.  Super confusing.

You haven't missed much. Same old shit.

Mine sounds similar. The opposite side has a bit of black haze coming out from under the label, almost looks like overspray from spray paint. I'm bummed it didn't turn out like the mock up because it was easily my favorite variant, but oh well. It sounds great, and I'm stoked to have it anyways.

11 hours ago, counterfiction said:

I haven't posted here in 9 years but I'm glad to see the community hasn't changed much.

Also, my copy ended up being about 95% blue with a very slight black haze around the center logo.  Super confusing.

This thread be bringing out some OGs