PO NOW: DEFTONES- Ohms (9/25)

2 minutes ago, Jim Steele said:

White Pony, Adrenaline, Around the Fur, s/t, Saturday Night Wrist, Diamond Eyes, Koi No Yokai, Gore. 

I definitely appreciate the newer stuff, but the first four albums is where it’s at for me. I remember being really impressed with Diamond Eyes when it came out though. 

I'm with you on this one. Maybe just because of the nostalgia, but my favorites are ATF and Adrenaline. I appreciate all of their music in some way or another, but when I think of Deftones I think of the ATF album first. 

8 minutes ago, Deathbyart said:

I almost wonder if some of those opinions is based of the person's age. As someone who saw them play in support of Adrenaline because I am old.. I can't imagine placing Gore in front. 

I was just wondering the same thing as well. I remember hearing 7 words on the local independent station near me and it blew me away. Ran out and bought the tape as soon as i could. Saw them a few times around 96-98 and they were absolutely fantastic live as well. So those first couple albums are really still my favorites. Probably followed by Diamond Eyes. But i could see someone who didn't hear Adrenaline until a bit later not liking it much compared to the later albums.

Edited by fish

12 minutes ago, Deathbyart said:

I almost wonder if some of those opinions is based of the person's age. As someone who saw them play in support of Adrenaline because I am old.. I can't imagine placing Gore in front. 

Probably. I first saw them live in 1998, so those first couple of albums have pretty much become a part of my dna. 

I will say that seeing the majority of Gore played live over the years has been a vastly different experience than listening to it digitally. My perception of the album has changed significantly, and I appreciate it way more now.

I've said it countless times; Chino can do no wrong. Every project he has been a part of has been quality. So excited for the new material. 

5 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Are we all done pretending this album is anything less than fantastic?  Not VC specifically, but I feel like a ton of people were shitting on it when it was released.  It's not their best record to date but I think it's super consistent and aged nicely.

This is how I feel about s/t. Can we stop letting the strength of White Pony negatively influence the rating of this album? If any one of their later albums had directly followed White Pony it would have suffered the same lackluster response. 

2 hours ago, Jim Steele said:

I definitely appreciate the newer stuff, but the first four albums is where it’s at for me. I remember being really impressed with Diamond Eyes when it came out though. 

I'm in the same boat – I've never disliked any of their albums but the first 4 are the strongest. And as suggested by a few, age certainly does have a lot to do with it (as it could for many long-running bands). I started listening when Around the Fur came out and it remains my favorite. I think the evolution of my taste in music has also had an impact on my enjoyment of all subsequent albums. But I feel the drop-off came after s/t – I like Saturday Night Wrist, Diamond Eyes, and Koi no yokan pretty equally, but was definitely less impressed by Gore. Or again, it could be that I haven't been the target audience for a while.

Since andrewlucas asked, here are my rankings:

Around the Fur > White Pony > Adrenaline > Deftones > Koi no yokan > Diamond Eyes > Saturday Night Wrist > Gore

Edited by jeromium

36 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

I think all their albums are either so fucking good or pretty fucking good. Can pretty much put on any deftones song other than Pink Cellphone and get excited about it, I don’t even skip that one when I play  SNW tho.

I think the parental advisory version cuts out the "residue" part fwiw

The amount of disrespect for SNW is upsetting. Did Pink Cellphone really rub that many people the wrong way that they write off the rest of the album? 

1 hour ago, Rip said:

Just gonna throw this out there:  I miss †††

Would kill for some new Crosses. The CD for it remains one of the few non digital albums I always have in rotation in my car. 

Wouldn't mind some new Team Sleep and/or a proper pressing of Team Sleep's album either. 

3 hours ago, drewberinger said:

self-titled is the most underrated record - hexagram remains the greatest album opener

s/t definitely my favorite, i play that tape constantlyyy 

4 minutes ago, dapeebs said:

Wouldn't mind some new Team Sleep and/or a proper pressing of Team Sleep's album either. 

and god i would die to spin the Team Sleep LP, hope it happens someday