PO NOW: DEFTONES- Ohms (9/25)

On 7/28/2020 at 8:34 PM, dantheriver said:

I think all their albums are either so fucking good or pretty fucking good. Can pretty much put on any deftones song other than Pink Cellphone and get excited about it, I don’t even skip that one when I play  SNW tho.

Pink Cellphone is one of Deftones’ best songs ever until it becomes far & away the worst

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

What makes it so bad?  And have you tried watching it with the video of the vape king?  That really enhanced the song to new heights for me.

Haha no I haven’t but I’ve always thought it sounded like another band’s song featuring Chino on vocals.  I was super stoked about this collab but just don’t think Jerry’s guitar compliments Chino’s voice at all & vice versa.  Oil & water situation for me.  

Don't hold me to this but the screaming face of OP's avatar was featured in a Deftones / Gojira tour poster, and apparently some inquiring minds brought it up over on r/Deftones, and got the thread deleted by moderators.  They're really cracking down on all leaks, speculation, and-or discussion on that board – laughably so – and I'm not sure if there's anything real or tangible with that "screaming art" getting pulled, but I just found it interesting.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Don't hold me to this but the screaming face of OP's avatar was featured in a Deftones / Gojira tour poster, and apparently some inquiring minds brought it up over on r/Deftones, and got the thread deleted by moderators.  They're really cracking down on all leaks, speculation, and-or discussion on that board – laughably so – and I'm not sure if there's anything real or tangible with that "screaming art" getting pulled, but I just found it interesting.

I saw that. I don't think there's anything to it either, although the similarity with the dots is striking. It would be weird to release your album art on a tour poster previous to the album dropping. However, I do like it if the art does end up being it. Supposedly Warner or a band affiliate was deleting those posts or asked for it to be, but not sure how accurate that is.

Spoilers about the album:

I was (allegedly 🙂) able to listen to 3 additional songs off the album before they got shut down last night. Same awful quality, but dear god, this might be their best record yet. Anyone disappointed in gore shouldn't have any worries. 2 songs, in particular, are peak Deftones imo. 'Genesis', which sounds like a track straight off Diamond Eyes or KNY. Very explosive ending with Chino screaming his head off. Also, 'The Spell of Mathematics' which is very experimental that goes from bursting full of energy to ethereal with 2 minutes or so of really peaceful instrumentation.  

Edited by Kanellos

3 hours ago, mrewest said:

Haha no I haven’t but I’ve always thought it sounded like another band’s song featuring Chino on vocals.  I was super stoked about this collab but just don’t think Jerry’s guitar compliments Chino’s voice at all & vice versa.  Oil & water situation for me.  

I really like the song, but I’ve always thought that the guitar solo seemed really out of place for a Deftones song, and it would be better without it. 

11 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I’m all for album hype but does anyone else feel like this shit is just dragging out unnecessarily?

I'm with you. Feels like every videogame, movie, album has this long drawn out ARG puzzle marketing gimmick. Call of Duty and Batman are currently doing it, and people are sick of it by the comments.

According to the Spotify clues, the Deftones ARG ended today, so we should be getting a single and preorders in the coming days. Really excited. 

Just now, Kanellos said:

I'm with you. Feels like every videogame, movie, album has this long drawn out ARG puzzle marketing gimmick. Call of Duty and Batman are currently doing it, and people are sick of it by the comments.

According to the Spotify clues, the Deftones ARG ended today, so we should be getting a single and preorders in the coming days. Really excited. 

Y'all don't Coheed, do ya?

57 minutes ago, drewberinger said:

they only started hyping it - the album will be here sooner than you know.

I usually hate these long drawn out teases too but the fact that Deftones are engaging in it makes me believe that they are really really really stoked on this record 

They really do seem to be excited. Especially as a cohesive unit this time. Kerrang has a fantastic new write up today about the album def worth a read: https://www.kerrang.com/features/the-secrets-behind-deftones-new-album-inside-the-studio-for-the-first-time/

On 8/15/2020 at 4:52 AM, Kanellos said:

Deftones just blacked out their social media. Deftones.com is updated and teasing OHMS (ohms is named in the URL after signup).

If you sign up for the mailing list some kind of Braille/dot puzzle is shown after. Looks like 09/25 might be the album release date too.

Backing this, the site url is https://www.deftones.com/0925 - further suggesting Sept. 25 may be the release date.

If the release date is truly 09/25/20 (per the URL and the billboard) I'd figure the first single and preorders will drop on Friday. 

Looking back at my inbox I ordered GORE just after midnight on Friday 02/05/16 and the DEFTONES mailing list email for album preorders and the Prayers / Triangles single downloads went out at 2:00PM EST that afternoon.