PO NOW: DEFTONES- Ohms (9/25)

I typically avoid singles when they close out the album, but in all my overzealousness this morning, I swapped my VPN to access the region-locked Youtube upload before discovering what the album's track order is.  Gave it one listen earlier and here are some lingering thoughts.  Take them with a grain of salt since I didn't dive in multiple times, and it's been about an hour.

It's pretty okay.  It goes nowhere near as hard as Rubicon.  Regardless of how you feel about Gore, I think it's safe to say that album goes out with a much bigger bang.  The guitar is uplifting; almost like a celebratory conclusion to the record.  I'm not in love with the production at all but I'm hoping it has more to do with Youtube compression and playing them over my computer's built-in speakers.  (Which aren't great, but typically not

that washed out or tinny.  I played a Deftones track from my iTunes just for comparison's sake, and, yeah.  Still gonna' pre-order regardless but I agree that it's a weird choice for a single.

Not on VC, but I was reading a lot of comments from people who insisted that they'd be super disappointed if the album art ended up looking like it currently does.  I guess a lot of folks thought it would be slowly revealed or "filled in" with more details as we got closer to the official announcement.  Anyone have any thoughts on it?  It's by and far the most "unique" design when lined up with everything else in their catalog.  The only comparable cover is White Pony, I'd say, with its 2-tone color choice and iconic approach.  Wonder if that's just a coincidence or if there's more of a tie-in with Black Stallion around the corner.

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Not on VC, but I was reading a lot of comments from people who insisted that they'd be super disappointed if the album art ended up looking like it currently does.  I guess a lot of folks thought it would be slowly revealed or "filled in" with more details as we got closer to the official announcement.  Anyone have any thoughts on it?  It's by and far the most "unique" design when lined up with everything else in their catalog.  The only comparable cover is White Pony, I'd say, with its 2-tone color choice and iconic approach.  Wonder if that's just a coincidence or if there's more of a tie-in with Black Stallion around the corner.

I like it, I think its cool, its moody, its a strong statement and visually engaging. Would be 100% cool with it as the final art. 

Not LITERALLY visually similar, but gives me sort of NIN vibes. 

Also, it aligns well with the album closer lyric "stare through the haunted maze in your eyes"

Edited by V3XED

Having heard other songs off the album to provide context to the single, I'm all in. They should have led with another lead single, I agree, though. Love the production and artwork too. The artwork reminds me of Bear in Heaven's 'Beast Rest Forth Mouth' or something an LA goth rock band would put out.

Everything for me right now is leagues better than Gore.

Edited by Kanellos

3 minutes ago, Kanellos said:

Having heard other songs off the album to provide context to the single, I'm all in. They should have led with another lead single, I agree, though. Love the production and artwork too. The artwork reminds me of Bear in Heaven's 'Beast Rest Forth Mouth' or something an LA goth rock band would put out.

Everything for me right now is leagues better than Gore.

A lot of people are stoked on the production from what I’m gathering.  I’m eager to to are try the single on my usual setup later this evening, when it’s available on Spotify or Apple Music.

1 hour ago, V3XED said:

I like it, I think its cool, its moody, its a strong statement and visually engaging. Would be 100% cool with it as the final art. 

Not LITERALLY visually similar, but gives me sort of NIN vibes. 

Also, it aligns well with the album closer lyric "stare through the haunted maze in your eyes"

Anyone else bothering this Parental Advisory logo in the bottom corner? I never understood why it’s there on some records but not others in the first place or it isn’t just a removable sticker. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, solitaryreign said:

Anyone else bothering this Parental Advisory logo in the bottom corner? I never understood why it’s there on some records but not others in the first place or it isn’t just a removable sticker. 🤷‍♂️

It's a voluntary thing.  Think most of the major labels put it on there, but I'm not certain.  I don't think I've seen it on many indie label releases (if any).  Some CDs I had growing up had it as a sticker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parental_advisory

2 hours ago, solitaryreign said:

Deftones got around it on White Pony and  ATF by changing the printed lyrics. The opening line of Feiticeria is printed as stop instead of fuck, Change says lungs instead of gun, and on ATF  MX has the word magazine printed instead of pussy. 

4 minutes ago, andrewlucas said:

If this goes live tomorrow for pre orders and there’s a limited vinyl. I’m gonna need help. I’ll be on the ocean all day fishing. 
so if anyone can help me out I’d appreciate it.

Honestly, there's a very good chance that pre-orders will launch in about 5 hours and 40 minutes if you think you'll be awake.