PO NOW: DEFTONES- Ohms (9/25)

1 minute ago, justin_cole12 said:

I'm in the same boat Derek. Pressing numbers and "limitedness" don't mean jack to me anymore.

Also I think I figured out why I don't love the new song just yet. Chino's delivery feels off to me..

I know you’re not overreacting, but it’s pretty comical how many people are losing their minds over this song, in a bad way.  I don’t think a lot of folks are noticing that it’s the album’s closer, and probably an odd choice for a first single.  I won’t be revisiting it until the album drops, out of principle and preference, but I didn’t recall having any major qualms with Chino’s delivery.  The track has some great riffs and rhythm but it doesn’t “go hard” and I think that’s what a lot of restless fans are after.  But the way people comment, you’d think this was the 1 song we’re getting on a 7” after 4 years.  Threatening to “give up” or “move on” from the band if they go soft on this record, haha. It’s wild.  Deftones haven’t steered us wrong before and I’m confident there will be some amazing cuts on this record to please (most) everyone.

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I know you’re not overreacting, but it’s pretty comical how many people are losing their minds over this song, in a bad way.  I don’t think a lot of folks are noticing that it’s the album’s closer, and probably an odd choice for a first single.  I won’t be revisiting it until the album drops, out of principle and preference, but I didn’t recall having any major qualms with Chino’s delivery.  The track has some great riffs and rhythm but it doesn’t “go hard” and I think that’s what a lot of restless fans are after.  But the way people comment, you’d think this was the 1 song we’re getting on a 7” after 4 years.  Threatening to “give up” or “move on” from the band if they go soft on this record, haha. It’s wild.  Deftones haven’t steered us wrong before and I’m confident there will be some amazing cuts on this record to please (most) everyone.

Yeah famdom is weird. I'm a pretty green Deftons fan though so I'm not mad at all. I'm excited for the album for sure.

Got all the reported content. Thank you for the headsup. It's been handled now. 

For transparency purposes: 1 warning point issued for abusive behavior/language and 30-day complete suspension. 

If it happens again, 100% permanent ban from VC. 

5 minutes ago, jhulud said:

For transparency purposes: 1 warning point issued for abusive behavior/language and 30-day complete suspension. 

Appreciate that being sorted out.  Sounds like he already used up the first strike so hopefully that’s good riddance.  Freshman year of highschool can be intimidating and stressful on its own, and with some states enforcing a return to campuses, I sympathize with the angst... but there’s really no excuse for that kind of extremity.  Thread has stayed chill and enjoyable for 10+ pages outside of that and I’m eager to read everyone’s hype on the album as it draws closer, and their thoughts when it finally releases.  Oh, and shipping notifications.  The best part of any PO thread.

Additional single rumored to drop 9/4, by the way.  I expect it to be a heavier cut to compliment this last one.

Just now, Fowty Dollaz said:

i can't wait to getting shipping notification! I'll be sure pm you directly Derek!

Yeah please do.  I expect this thread will move pretty fast and I dread the idea of overlooking your shipment confirmation, specifically.  Maybe I can just give you my cell # and you can text me directly.

6 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Appreciated, thank you.

1 hour ago, drewberinger said:

it's a vibe check and I'm here for it.

I haven’t had a chance to listen to the song yet, but I feel like this was definitely deliberate. They know their fan base and know that a lot of people would react a certain way if they put out a “softer” first single. I think they’ve spent their whole career being aware of who their playing to and challenging a lot of those people in all sorts of ways, without altering who they are for their fans, but also not ostracizing any of them either. Smart and very forward thinking dudes. That’s why I keep loving and coming back.

1 hour ago, chunkrock said:

I wasn't huge on the single on first listen but on second listen (way louder on better speakers) I loved it. The way it ends and this being an album closer makes me wonder if this is a single edit and if the album version might have a bigger or more drawn out ending.

It’s amazing how much a system can make or break a song for someone. 

I haven’t listened to the new song yet, but seeing as it’s the album closer, I’ll probably hold off. I’m very excited for the album though, and ordered the clear+zine copy because I’m a sucker. I’m pretty hyper after reading the recent interview with Chino as well. It’s cool to see the band so happy with that album. 

15 minutes ago, Velocity of Sound said:

Do you guys think the Indie Store Exclusive has a lower press count than the Deftones Webstore Exclusive? Thoughts? 

who knows - the last two albums to have a Webstore exclusive were numbered (KNY /1000 and Gore /3500) but that was explicitly listed in the description

I would reckon that this web store exclusive is between 3000 and 5000