PO NOW: DEFTONES- Ohms (9/25)

To those who've listened: do you feel like the singles were pretty odd or weak choices?  So many other cuts on this album scratched that classic Deftones itch, but under a fresh lens or with a slightly new twist.  I'm willing to accept that the singles will grow on me, but the real meat and potatoes is somewhere around the middle through the back half for me.

6 hours ago, bartsisgod said:

So i've had the album on repeat whilst at work and unfortunately the album is very average for me, really hope its a grower but so far it has just been forgettable mediocre background music

So you listened to it in the background while working and labeled it as background music? 

I don't understand how people can listen to music in the background and then give a review on it. Try listening for real and then sharing your opinion. 

1 minute ago, ntslash said:

So you listened to it in the background while working and labeled it as background music? 

I don't understand how people can listen to music in the background and then give a review on it. Try listening for real and then sharing your opinion. 

That's a fair take.  For what it's worth, I listened to this album while multi-tasking with work-related stuff, but nothing too distracting.  (I tend to tune out music altogether when I'm writing an e-mail or holding a discussion over IM.)  Had it at a consistently high volume on some decent desktop speakers a few feet away.  I don't know if it's 10/10 material but it's way better than forgettable background noise after 1 listen.  Eager to hear how it holds up.

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

To those who've listened: do you feel like the singles were pretty odd or weak choices?  So many other cuts on this album scratched that classic Deftones itch, but under a fresh lens or with a slightly new twist.  I'm willing to accept that the singles will grow on me, but the real meat and potatoes is somewhere around the middle through the back half for me.

I feel like choosing the closing track as the first single was a weird choice, especially how it doesn’t really fall in place with the rest of the record. Great closer though, but I prefer Genesis. Great track. 

All in all, fantastic record. So glad Stephen was really back in the fold, you can hear him all over the writing throughout. 

Heavy self/titled and SNW vibes IMO. 

1 hour ago, negavinyl said:

Anyone who ordered from their website get shipping confirmation? I ordered the deluxe with Zine so it’s u likely mine is coming anytime soon but I have an order on the way from Gnarlywood and I’m not sure what record or artist it is. 🤷‍♂️

I do too! I was wondering the same thing when I got that considering all the delay emails people were claiming to receive but I never got one. 

This post is mostly for Derek.

Although I liked it on first listen (probably would have put it in the top half of the discog), Gore is now probably my second least favourate album, Adrenaline takes the bottom spot.  Both with a couple of songs I like, but I get bored.  Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are my favourites.

Ohms, imho, takes all of the best elements of Saturday Night Wrist and Diamond Eyes.  This is top-shelf Deftones for me, I'll need more time to digest, but I'm almost certain this is in my top three.

While I have trouble putting it in my top three just yet, I think it has potential. There is a great deal of replayability with it and I am more immediately blown away by this record than I have by most of their previous releases. I definitely don't understand any initial resistance to Ohms.

3 hours ago, daegor said:

This post is mostly for Derek.

Although I liked it on first listen (probably would have put it in the top half of the discog), Gore is now probably my second least favourate album, Adrenaline takes the bottom spot.  Both with a couple of songs I like, but I get bored.  Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are my favourites.

Ohms, imho, takes all of the best elements of Saturday Night Wrist and Diamond Eyes.  This is top-shelf Deftones for me, I'll need more time to digest, but I'm almost certain this is in my top three.

I largely agree with this. I didn't really care for Gore. I'm enjoying Ohms. It was an edge I wasn't expecting.