PO NOW: DEFTONES- Ohms (9/25)

4 minutes ago, djghost1976 said:

There are 67 of the Limited Clear + Zine left here (about $60 USD shipped):  https://store.maniacsonline.com.au/collections/deftones/products/ohms-exclusive-vinyl-lp-zine

Damn... I don't know. That's not the worst price I've ever paid for a new LP. Well, maybe it is... I don't know. Now I'm struggling, yet again, to commit.

I very much appreciate the link, man. Damn it. I still don't know if I can justify it.

A sincere thank you for the link though.

14 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Damn it. I still don't know if I can justify it.

You can and you should.  It's the best Deftones album since... what?  Diamond Eyes?  KNY at the very least.  Super consistent in my books, with replay value that continues to give and give.  There's no telling how meh or worthwhile that zine may be, but it's at least worth rolling the dice on since no other version comes with it.  And that reflective cover is going to be a beaut.  $60 is only about $16 more than what we all paid for our copies stateside – shit wasn't cheap in the first place.  What else are you gonna' spend $16 on today?  Seems like a small price to pay to avoid grumbling under your breath once photos and aftermarket values start popping up.  And only 67 left?  Talk about a narrow window for a second chance.

Sorry for being such an enabler. :P

Edited by Derek™

12 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Damn... I don't know. That's not the worst price I've ever paid for a new LP. Well, maybe it is... I don't know. Now I'm struggling, yet again, to commit.

I very much appreciate the link, man. Damn it. I still don't know if I can justify it.

A sincere thank you for the link though.

They're going for around $150-200 on eBay right now, so this was doable for me (only about $15 more than what they were after shipping/tax in the Deftones stores)

Edited by djghost1976

5 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

You can and you should.  It's the best Deftones album since... what?  Diamond Eyes?  KNY at the very least.  Super consistent in my books, with replay value that continues to give and give.  There's no telling how meh or worthwhile that zine may be, but it's at least worth rolling the dice on since no other version comes with it.  And that reflective cover is going to be a beaut.  $60 is only about $16 more than what we all paid for our copies stateside – shit wasn't cheap in the first place.  What else are you gonna' spend $16 on today?  Seems like a small price to pay to avoid grumbling under your breath once photos and aftermarket values start popping up.  And only 67 left?  Talk about a narrow window for a second chance.

Sorry for being such an enabler. :P

4 minutes ago, djghost1976 said:

They're going for around $150-200 on eBay right now, so this was doable for me (only about $15 more than what they were after shipping/tax in the Deftones stores)

Ok. You guys are right. Its stupid. I have the $62 and I want the damn thing.

Thanks for helping me out with that one. I just finished placing the order.

59 minutes ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Anyone seen the signed artcard/ print that comes with that tape bundle? 

Everyone that I've seen that's received theirs said it didn't come with one. I imagine they'll ship it out separately. Just got tracking for my bundle so I guess we'll see.

Deftones UK and Bullmoose are the only orders that've shipped for me. Still waiting on Deftones US and Newbury Comics.

51 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

It's the best Deftones album since... what?  Diamond Eyes?  KNY at the very least. 

As a whole, I feel like it is the best since SNW  which only features two tracks that I find weak but not dismissively so and is an album I've only grown MORE fond of in the last few years. I already loved it and that love somehow increased after being deeply familiar with it for 14 years(?!! Fuck, I'm aging!). DE is a nice regrouping effort and contains a few of my favorite Deftones songs but multiple tracks I find so lacking that it really hurts the whole of it.  KNY again has several pieces of their greatest work but still has about 3 tracks I find disruptively lackluster. I'd say its better than DE as a whole. Gore is a weirdo and some of the major key main riffing took me a while to assimilate and the production was super-DAW-y and mechanical in ways I couldn't get into but I'd say the net result of that album's quality has it roughly equal to KNY for me. Its the obscure sounding, non-traditionally-hooky stuff that I really like about. The "anti-hooks" are MY hooks. Go fig.

This album only has the one problematic track so far and where this album is strong, it is FUCKING strong. I'd say this is the killer (and that sweet DEFICIT of filler) I was hoping for after SNW and before Chi's accident. I still really wish they could finish and release Eros. It haunts me what that album might be made of that we can't hear. Fuckin' live debuted tracks that were meant for it like "Melanie" or whatever. That shit was insane. There was one or two other debuted live tracks from that album if I remember correctly. I was hyped as shit for that. I'm not even considering "Smile" which is a nice jam though.

But anyway, this is about Ohms. Its the shit.

Edited by mcpherson123

11 minutes ago, lostcrimes said:

Got mine from bullmoose today. Sounds great. Definitely growing on me more and more.

Black or gold? Pretty much every report I've seen has been from people is with gold copies and there seems to be sound issues like noise and silibance.

Edited by mcpherson123

9 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Cool. I'm hoping the issues are not pressing wide. Maybe just some bad copies and I'm only hearing about it because its bad and that's when most people speak up.

Unfortunately there was some moments on side B that had surface noise as others have stated. Maybe a grand total of 3-4 seconds. So it's not an incredible pressing but its good enough. 

Edit: surface noise came from a tiny fragment of paper lol. Clean your records everyone. Still. Sounds good 🤷‍♂️

Edited by lostcrimes

12 minutes ago, lostcrimes said:

Unfortunately there was some moments on side B that had surface noise as others have stated. Maybe a grand total of 3-4 seconds. So it's not an incredible pressing but its good enough. 

Edit: surface noise came from a tiny fragment of paper lol. Clean your records everyone. Still. Sounds good 🤷‍♂️

Awesome news! Thank you.

4 hours ago, mrewest said:

“Link” was my favorite at first.  Now it may be “Error”.  Fuck that song bangs.  Palms-esque finish.  🤤 

Before I heard the album I had read people saying the same thing about that ending which made me stupid excited to hear it and in all of my listens today, and there were MANY, that reality never really sunk in until I went and listened specifically to that part alone with that assessment in mind and putting it under the microscope like that and truly hearing it in that way for the first time and being elated by it; it makes me realize that in all my multiple rotations of this album it still has not fully revealed itself to me. Like its so brimming with layers and depth and moments of pure musical bliss that I think my mind is too overloaded to truly appreciate each song for what it is.  Its like I'm too embedded in it to notice the full expanse of the landscape of it. 

This makes me really excited to continue the journey through this album and discover it truly like the rest of their albums. 

And good godly fuck, do I wish Palms would do more Palms albums.

29 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Before I heard the album I had read people saying the same thing about that ending which made me stupid excited to hear it and in all of my listens today, and there were MANY, that reality never really sunk in until I went and listened specifically to that part alone with that assessment in mind and putting it under the microscope like that and truly hearing it in that way for the first time and being elated by it; it makes me realize that in all my multiple rotations of this album it still has not fully revealed itself to me. Like its so brimming with layers and depth and moments of pure musical bliss that I think my mind is too overloaded to truly appreciate each song for what it is.  Its like I'm too embedded in it to notice the full expanse of the landscape of it. 

This makes me really excited to continue the journey through this album and discover it truly like the rest of their albums. 

And good godly fuck, do I wish Palms would do more Palms albums.

So it’s funny you say that because Palms never entered my mind until my brother texted me & said he heard people making that comparison.  When I listened to that song after that, I totally heard Palms.

Side note:  I heard Palms might be making another album 🤞🏻

43 minutes ago, mrewest said:

So it’s funny you say that because Palms never entered my mind until my brother texted me & said he heard people making that comparison.  When I listened to that song after that, I totally heard Palms.

Side note:  I heard Palms might be making another album 🤞🏻

Right on! Of course, that status of potential future Palms material has remained the same since roughly 2015. I just gave up hope on it. Chino mentioned something about it in a recent interview regarding Ohms and his comments didn't sound super promising. He certainly didn't hint that it was impossible but he didn't make it seem imminent either. 

Seems like there is a single cassette option. 
I was under the impression you could only get the cassettes through a bundle?

https://deftones.warnerartists.net/uk/ohms-vintage-silver-cassette.html

https://deftones.warnerartists.net/uk/ohms-slime-green-cassette.html

Edited by Velocity of Sound
Second link.

@mcpherson123 – total curiosity, but what's your hangup with Urantia?  I love that chuggy thrash riff they weave in between the slower, sweet melodies of the chorus.  The break with that sample gives me a straight SNW flashback, too.  Definitely not a weak track in my books.

If I had to cite parts of the album I'm currently not quite yet sold on... the chorus of Error ("Beyond the gates / outside the grid...") is maybe a little too sugary and soaring for me.  (Little coincidence that other lyrics point to "shiny candy" and honey.)  The bridge goes out of the stratosphere and doubles down on their melodic approach, and I quite like it... and the verses, and the outro.  And basically everything about the track except the forefront of the choruses.  I dunno.

The spacey snap outro of The Spell of Mathematics is kind of odd and I think I could live without it.  I've yet to feel inclined to reach over and skip it, but I just don't know if I really need it on the album.  I don't know.

Also gonna' stick to my guns and say that Ohms is kinda' whatever.  It's an ear-worm so I get why they released it as a single.  I think just about every other song on the album is more interesting and would've made a better single though, personally.

That's really it.  Incredibly minor qualms that aren't detracting from my ability to enjoy the album end to end.