PO NOW: DEFTONES- Ohms (9/25)

Received my clear copy today and can confirm it sounds great and this is easily top 3 in their discography for me. I also noticed the photo on the insert in this edition is a reflection of water. Whereas I’ve noticed the photo is red on the gold edition. Slight difference there. The zine is also really nice too. Also confirmed that it was the package from Gnarlywood for anyone else who received that confirmation.

What the hell is going on with the discogs release. Some users don't have the clear yet so they removed the submission. Discogs people care too much, it's definitely in people's hands and just because somebody didn't update the web mock-ups with actual pictures yet (it has only been a couple days) doesn't mean it should get removed? I get Discogs technically wants the release in hand but who fucking cares??? Especially when you can go on IG and see it exists, you can even steal a picture and post it, fuck it. Hell, we have a picture right above me.

3 minutes ago, Reshiram said:

What the hell is going on with the discogs release. Some users don't have the clear yet so they removed the submission. Discogs people care too much, it's definitely in people's hands and just because somebody didn't update the web mock-ups with actual pictures yet (it has only been a couple days) doesn't mean it should get removed? I get Discogs technically wants the release in hand but who fucking cares??? Especially when you can go on IG and see it exists, you can even steal a picture and post it, fuck it. Hell, we have a picture right above me.

They are extremely fickle sometimes.  I'd had obscure releases or listings go without album art for months – to the point where I get sick of seeing the grey placeholder and just upload the album art – and it'll immediately get removed because it's not an "actual photo" of the record.  Fuck off with that.

16 minutes ago, Reshiram said:

https://www.discogs.com/Deftones-Ohms/release/15975342

11 minutes ago, jrodan said:

weird, shows up for me.

My quote of the song title was a little misleading, I couldn’t help myself. 
the link does open, but if you hit the “edit” button you can see the listing was removed. It’s also not visible from the main masterlist of formats. 

2 minutes ago, Velocity of Sound said:

My quote of the song title was a little misleading, I couldn’t help myself. 
the link does open, but if you hit the “edit” button you can see the listing was removed. It’s also not visible from the main masterlist of formats. 

haha, well played. well i added it to my collection and have no desire to edit the listing, so hopefully it gets added to the masterlist at some point. very strange.

1 hour ago, Reshiram said:

Out of all of the insane rules I can actually get behind this one. (though not in this particular instance, obviously).

The rule is to prevent people from selling items they don't have in hand.

19 minutes ago, daegor said:

Out of all of the insane rules I can actually get behind this one. (though not in this particular instance, obviously).

The rule is to prevent people from selling items they don't have in hand.

I agree but it is a case by case basis. In this case it's stupid. 

On 9/27/2020 at 4:38 PM, Derek™ said:

@mcpherson123 – total curiosity, but what's your hangup with Urantia?  I love that chuggy thrash riff they weave in between the slower, sweet melodies of the chorus.  The break with that sample gives me a straight SNW flashback, too.  Definitely not a weak track in my books.

If I had to cite parts of the album I'm currently not quite yet sold on... the chorus of Error ("Beyond the gates / outside the grid...") is maybe a little too sugary and soaring for me.  (Little coincidence that other lyrics point to "shiny candy" and honey.)  The bridge goes out of the stratosphere and doubles down on their melodic approach, and I quite like it... and the verses, and the outro.  And basically everything about the track except the forefront of the choruses.  I dunno.

The spacey snap outro of The Spell of Mathematics is kind of odd and I think I could live without it.  I've yet to feel inclined to reach over and skip it, but I just don't know if I really need it on the album.  I don't know.

Also gonna' stick to my guns and say that Ohms is kinda' whatever.  It's an ear-worm so I get why they released it as a single.  I think just about every other song on the album is more interesting and would've made a better single though, personally.

That's really it.  Incredibly minor qualms that aren't detracting from my ability to enjoy the album end to end.

Thanks for asking, man. I love dissecting this shit.

So overall, my issues with the album are all like you said, minor qualms. Its really nothing drastic at all.

So, I first want to say that I get your hang up on the Error chorus. And yes, that song in its totality is Goddess-level gorgeous. Literally the entire second half is like a free jazz full band explosive flourish filtered through the style of Deftones at their most spacey/psychedelic but modern. Like, I can't believe how much that didn't register in my first 15 listens to the album. When I finally took the time to realize what a gem of pure musical bliss that passage is, it just floored me and totally floored me that I couldn't recognize it until message board communities hit me over the head with it.

I love your assessment of "sugary" as a potentially negative overage in music. I completely identify with that sentiment. And so its interesting that that phrase perfectly encapsulates my hangup with so much of the "mood" of Urantia. It feels fuckin' "sugary" but not just that, it has the gross misfortune of not just being sugary but also recalling some of the cheesy tonality of 80's rock/pop "sugar" like Huey Lewis or Eddie Money and I know that LITERALLY, that is a fucking stretch and I woudln't really expect ANYONE else to understand it and feel that way like I do. Its just something in that melodic structure overall that taints some aspect of the whole song for me but I DO want to ensure you that I actually do really feel myself getting over that hang up and really seeing it differently.

Now I completely get your assessment of the sugary aspect to the chorus of Error and I honestly feel that too, it just so happens that its particular flavor of sugar is one that almost always really works for me. Again its something about the melodic and harmonic structure that comes from the combination of all the timbres involved. I think what it also is, is that Urantia feels way more like a Crosses song to me, and I only really liked about 2 or 3 tracks from that project and it was a certain type of "sugary" that just hit me all the wrong ways.

For me Palms has its own types of sugar in it but it still feels more like... I don't know.. "big boy sugar" or "wise learned man sugar." The kind of sweetness that doesn't fall into your "guilty pleasure" category. Crosses felt more "guilty" and something about Urantia recalls that feeling for me. But I have to say that as a song structurally and with all the bells and whistles of those odd female voice playback samples it really does create a seriously cool atmosphere in parallel with the meat of the song which I find less favorable.

The last thing I want to say about Urantia is that I'm quite certain the lyrics tell the tale of a homicidal stalker describing his exploits in crossing some major boundaries with the subject of their predation. Seems like it ends in a murder/suicide as well. So the lyrical tale holds all of this juicy, psychotic Lynchian noir intrigue which I find very interesting but there are still those hangups about the "melodic sugar" problem which for me feels like a consistent melodicism throughout the entirety of the track with little to no resolution away from the melody structure that doesn't sit well.

Thanks for asking. I really feel like it helped me to articulate even for myself what the problem is for me.

Oh and with The Spell of Mathematics, I totally understand where you're coming from on the outro but I actually love it. In fact, with that track in particular, knowing how long it was supposed to be I was hoping that those keys were going to lead to one more round of the more aggressive motifs of the song coming back to take us out but when it was just the keys leading to This Link Is Dead, I was a bit disappointed. That said, re-listening to the song repeatedly has had me just appreciating all of the magnificent passages of it that are there and the extent to which they are repeated in the structure and I've totally resolved my need to hear them restate an aggressive passage after the keys but before it ends. Now I just really appreciate the atmosphere the keys add to the album overall.

This album is amazing and it took me a while to realize I was in love with it, but it really has taught me to stop anticipating the flow of the structures of each song by simply knowing the track lengths ahead of time and hoping they'll give me more of the part I want before I can see tracks coming to a close and I'm instead just learning to appreciate the payoff parts while they're actually happening and not trying to rewrite/restructure in my head what could have been that I was hoping for. Does that make any sense?

Also, The Spell of Mathematics is pure bliss in every single part of the structure. It might be a perfect song for me.

3 hours ago, chogmatron said:

Slightly off topic, anyone purchased a copy of the 2020 Self Titled repress? I can't find any information about it or it for sale anywhere outside of its Discogs listing - https://www.discogs.com/Deftones-Deftones/release/15882217

Yeah, I noticed that listing today. Don't know anything about it. I really hope the back catalog goes back in print in the US editions of the LP's. I need to replace my White Pony. And I just think these records should always be in print. They were all in print steadily since about 2011 when the S/T and SNW represses came out and every new album that was released since then pretty much stayed in print until about 5 months ago or so. Its weird how they all dried up but probably has something to do with Covid and potential staffing downsizing at pressing plants and vinyl resource manufacturers. 

10 hours ago, chogmatron said:

Slightly off topic, anyone purchased a copy of the 2020 Self Titled repress? I can't find any information about it or it for sale anywhere outside of its Discogs listing - https://www.discogs.com/Deftones-Deftones/release/15882217

I’m wondering if these are just warehouse finds? It appears that these are just being sold on Discogs.  CD-Warehouse is selling 15 of the 17 copies available. 

1 hour ago, Velocity of Sound said:

I’m wondering if these are just warehouse finds? It appears that these are just being sold on Discogs.  CD-Warehouse is selling 15 of the 17 copies available. 

My local shop had gotten some recently, but marked the price up so I didn't get one.  So maybe some kind of small repress for now?

Just had notification from Deftones' UK store that the Silver + Zine edition  has been delayed. 

------

"Dear,

Thanks for your recent order.

Unfortunately, we have been informed by our supplier that stock for your order  has been delayed.

As soon as your order does leave our warehouse, you will receive a dispatch confirmation.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience or disappointment caused.

Please enjoy a free download of the Ohms album from us to you as a thank you for your continued support and patience."

Edited by strangers

26 minutes ago, strangers said:

Just had notification from Deftones' UK store that the Silver + Zine edition  has been delayed. 

------

"Dear,

Unfortunately, we have been informed by our supplier that stock for your order  has been delayed.

As soon as your order does leave our warehouse, you will receive a dispatch confirmation.

Please enjoy a free download of the Ohms album from us to you as a thank you for your continued support and patience."

Got that too :(

1 hour ago, strangers said:

------

"Dear,

Did they have a silver variant? I though it was clear like the US one. Thanks!!