Thursday - Signals v3 - May 14th - Waiting Repress May 27th

2 minutes ago, mitchard said:

spacer.png

“Geoff… this statement seems really fair and should go over well on social media.  Is there anything else we can do to maybe soften the sting for fans that feel they’ve been wronged?”

🤔 Can we somehow post it in comic sans?”

I understand their statement and that’s fine, but that doesn’t answer why they weren’t transparent from the beginning. Why not preface the reissue with that statement and be like “hey we’re doing two special limited live stream bundles, then 7 other variants broken up to make up the rest of the total run. So don’t worry if you don’t get the first / don’t want a bundle, cause they’ll be X more variants to choose from - with more than enough to be able to grab one. Thanks!”  — how hard is that? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but they’ve been a band longer than I’ve been buying band merch with my own money. Again, not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, by why not just avoid anger / confusion from the beginning — ah, cause you didn’t think people would actually call you out (and I say this more directed towards Velocity than Thursday, but both are to blame). 

8 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Blaming their strategy on flippers is pretty hilarious. At least they said they will refund anyone who isn’t happy.

the only people who are REALLY mad in this situation - enough to send an email to get a refund -  are those that are trying to flip, so fuck em. 

Edited by tokimedo

42 minutes ago, tokimedo said:

the only people who are REALLY mad in this situation - enough to send an email to get a refund -  are those that are trying to flip, so fuck em. 

Maybe,  but what if one of the next 7 variants just looks way cooler to someone? I don’t think that’s the case here, but there have been other examples recently (also with Equal Vision). Edit: Case in point below. Transparency was key if this wasn’t about profiting off the fomo.

To quote Mitch Hedberg for no reason: “…because I did not know that there was a second part to the question.”

Edited by iDealélan

Imagine someone having to buy another ticket to see them with no option of media shipping just to get the vinyl. Only for more to be announced shortly after they sell out with better variants and potential media option during shipping :(  Fucking bundles I swear. If it makes y’all feel better I got swindled by GJ for $99 and 6 songs.

Edited by januarytwenty

6 hours ago, tokimedo said:

i dont think i can agree with that. I bought the bundle only because I thought it will be the only way to get this LP. I dont care about the streaming ticket as I feel no excitement at all watching a band perform on my laptop, I dont care for a signed setlist that much either. The bundle cost me 70$ with shipping to Europe, and it looks like there will be so much other variants that some of them will probably find their way to European distros and will cost me half of that price tops. So yeach, scalpers are probably mad but I'm a little bit mad too as I dont remember when was the last time I paid 70$ for a single LP. The only thing that keeps me from canceling order is the sentence from their post "The Waiting packages sold today are vastly different than the singular Vinyl coming at the end of the month." I wonder if this two variants will differ in terms of packing or sth else from the other 7, that would maybe justify a little bit spending more money on it (maybe not ca 100% more, but a little bit at least)

8 hours ago, iDealélan said:

Maybe,  but what if one of the next 7 variants just looks way cooler to someone? I don’t think that’s the case here, but there have been other examples recently (also with Equal Vision). Edit: Case in point below. Transparency was key if this wasn’t about profiting off the fomo.

To quote Mitch Hedberg for no reason: “…because I did not know that there was a second part to the question.”

I used to do drugs 

9 hours ago, mitchard said:

spacer.png

This is a contender for the stupidest thing I have ever read. Are they really going to design an entire variant scheme, drop schedule and sneaky sales practice around the possibility that one person is going to spend 3 seconds of his personal time to post a for sale ad online, for an imaginary price that no one is even going to buy? If they really cared about that shit, they’d have pressed the entire run on “boring black.” Pressing nine variants of 300 each is probably making their so-called concern more of a reality. They’re trying to sucker fans into buying more than one copy directly from them as opposed to buying any secondhand. No one is going to fall victim to The Flipper on this record. It’s not fucking Ocean Avenue. 
Which reminds me, my yellow OA is for sale - $18,000.  Because it feels so right.

5 hours ago, Boaty McBoatface said:

This is a contender for the stupidest thing I have ever read. Are they really going to design an entire variant scheme, drop schedule and sneaky sales practice around the possibility that one person is going to spend 3 seconds of his personal time to post a for sale ad online, for an imaginary price that no one is even going to buy? If they really cared about that shit, they’d have pressed the entire run on “boring black.” Pressing nine variants of 300 each is probably making their so-called concern more of a reality. They’re trying to sucker fans into buying more than one copy directly from them as opposed to buying any secondhand. No one is going to fall victim to The Flipper on this record. It’s not fucking Ocean Avenue. 
Which reminds me, my yellow OA is for sale - $18,000.  Because it feels so right.

I agree. Why do they have to be held hostage by some nebulous "demand" by "fans" for all their records to stay "limited." They're a band. They should manufacturer in the numbers that they think they can sell, regardless of how plentiful that makes their records. Only insufferable whiners bitch about maintaining the scarcity of their precious variant. They could also undercut flipping by making a large quantity uniform pressing of "boring black" and that would drive down the incentive to flip specific variants in a set of 9 on the steam of how scarce and sold out they are.

Their logic is backwards.

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

I agree. Why do they have to be held hostage by some nebulous "demand" by "fans" for all their records to stay "limited." They're a band. They should manufacturer in the numbers that they think they can sell, regardless of how plentiful that makes their records. Only insufferable whiners bitch about maintaining the scarcity of their precious variant. They could also undercut flipping by making a large quantity uniform pressing of "boring black" and that would drive down the incentive to flip specific variants in a set of 9 on the steam of how scarce and sold out they are.

Their logic is backwards.

Yes - I agree and think the logic is backwards here.

9 minutes ago, danmpie7 said:

So I didn't end up watching the first two of these and I'm just curious as to what the set is. Are they going to play this full album front to back or do they just have a random setlist heavily influenced by this album or how does it go. Watching it either way but I was just curious.

This was asked to Geoff during his zoom session a couple of weeks ago. Didn't get a straight answer, so I'm assuming it's not just going to be each album back to back.

17 minutes ago, danmpie7 said:

So I didn't end up watching the first two of these and I'm just curious as to what the set is. Are they going to play this full album front to back or do they just have a random setlist heavily influenced by this album or how does it go. Watching it either way but I was just curious.

I wouldn’t mind the mockup setlist in the bundle.

2 hours ago, hookups96 said:

Bummed I never got a code for the live stream and they never wrote back. Wonder if they will before it disappears. 

Here’s the extra I got from the vinyl bundle: 9ab0bc080d