Po : Dashboard Confessional - The Swiss Army Romance

gazzo

16 hours ago, tape said:

got mine and it got bent to shit in the mail.

sigh.

Mine came from Second City and had some nice jacket damage. Pretty sure it didn’t happen in transit. This has happened a few times lately, where I’m getting damages sent out to me that are “unsuitable for retail” type shit and I know they couldn’t have been caused by shipping.

27 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Wanna trade jackets? Nah? Aight, no one cares.

Don't be a turd, dude.

It's fine for someone to point out they've had no issues with a company if you talk about having problems. It helps people see if it is worth the risk ordering from a company or not.

27 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Don't be a turd, dude.

It's fine for someone to point out they've had no issues with a company if you talk about having problems. It helps people see if it is worth the risk ordering from a company or not.

That comment was as unwarranted as this. So let’s say you REALLY want a record, go to buy it, get all the emails and see that Second City is in charge of fulfillment. Are you going to cancel the order based on that and go to your local record store to buy the less disable variant, because you heard that they send out damaged records or don’t ship properly? I’m not being a turd I just don’t see how helpful it is that someone comments on something that should be expected from someone like that. Yes records should always get to you without any damages. In this day and age, it’s not hard for that to happen. You shouldn’t send out any records that have any damages that would constitute “retail denial”. Seam splits and dog ears are some of the ways you can split hairs about neglectful shipping procedures or USPS fault, but in reality, it’s 90% on how someone ships a record. You’re in charge of so much shit, pertaining to the music world, let’s do a good job. If people complain about you not doing your job, you’ll wise up and start doing it correctly. Or you’re MerchNOW and keep doing the same shit because you know people will keep coming back no matter what. 

50 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

So let’s say you REALLY want a record, go to buy it, get all the emails and see that Second City is in charge of fulfillment.

If they have a significant history of shipping out damaged items? Sure.

51 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

I’m not being a turd I just don’t see how helpful it is that someone comments on something that should be expected from someone like that.

Maybe reread your response to that person. It came off as unnecessarily combative and self-pitying. Kind of turdish.

52 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Yes records should always get to you without any damages. In this day and age, it’s not hard for that to happen. You shouldn’t send out any records that have any damages that would constitute “retail denial”. Seam splits and dog ears are some of the ways you can split hairs about neglectful shipping procedures or USPS fault, but in reality, it’s 90% on how someone ships a record. You’re in charge of so much shit, pertaining to the music world, let’s do a good job. If people complain about you not doing your job, you’ll wise up and start doing it correctly. Or you’re MerchNOW and keep doing the same shit because you know people will keep coming back no matter what. 

Of course no one should be shipping out damaged records, that’s a given. I’ve received records that seem like they were packed damaged and I typically contact the seller to let them know and get a replacement. I may even have boo-hooed about it a little bit on here, but I can’t imagine essentially telling someone that their experience doesn’t matter because it is different from mine.

Anywho, I’m not looking to get into a protracted argument or discussion about this, so I’m done at this point. Feel free to express your opinion, but if you out of hand dismiss another person’s experience, expect to get called a turd.

5 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

Wanna trade jackets? Nah? Aight, no one cares.

No thank you, I'm pleased with my sleeve. Thanks for asking though, that is very kind of you. 

I think it is important to provide a contrast to the negative experiences, especially since the tone of this thread has turned to "Second City orders will arrive damaged". Like others have said, others will benefit from having access to a multitude of experiences.

The community SHOULD care for robust discourse. I'm sorry if my reply rubbed a sore spot, if it came off as if I was bragging about not having any damaged sleeves and minimizing you pain. I regret any harm I have caused you. 

30 minutes ago, bridley said:

The community SHOULD care for robust discourse. I'm sorry if my reply rubbed a sore spot, if it came off as if I was bragging about not having any damaged sleeves and minimizing you pain. I regret any harm I have caused you. 

Definitely no pain or harm, just me being hung over and, in the last week, receiving 25-30 records and a good deal of them having jacket damage because of improper packing or jackets obviously damaged before shipment. It’s a tale as old as mail order itself. Just annoyed. Second City and other fulfillment companies should know how to ship, and if you’re hearing more bad things than good, there’s a problem. That’s all. None of this is going to change anything, so whatever. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by MyEnemy

On 9/6/2020 at 8:52 PM, MyEnemy said:

Second City and other fulfillment companies should know how to ship, and if you’re hearing more bad things than good, there’s a problem. That’s all.

Yup. I received 3 separate orders from them in the past month and all 3 had pretty legit jacket damage. Regardless if others may have had theirs arrive fine.. the amount of orders that have not arrived fine means Second City is fucking up. It's not just a fluke.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my replacement copy from Zia and the mailer was bent in almost exactly the same way as the first, just to a lesser extent. (My exact quote when I saw it was "oh look, someone dropped the exact same bowling ball on this one".) The record seems fine this time though.

If I were the speculating type, I'd probably think that something was happening at the LA USPS distro center, the only common link in the two shipments besides my local distro center through which I have received hundreds of other albums with no problem. The Zia shipments came from different stores in different cities, then took slightly different routes from LA to Boston, but it's almost uncanny how exactly the same the damage to the mailer looked.

Edited by tape

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...