PO: Bob Mould - Distortion 1989 - 1995 8LP Retrospective

Pretty cool box set here, first of four. Signed edition of 750 available through indie retailers via this link:

https://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/bob-mould-distortion/

Available to order now, Distortion: 1989-2019, a chronicle of the solo career of Bob Mould and his band Sugar released on the 2nd October 2020. Presented as a 12” x 12” hardbound book, this massive anthology compiles — for the first time — Bob Mould’s recorded work from 1989 onwards: 18 studio albums, plus 4 live albums and 2 albums of rarities and collaborations. Assembled with Bob Mould’s full involvement, featuring new sleeve notes from UK music critic Keith Cameron, and exclusive new artwork by Simon Marchner, this is the definitive portrayal of an American rock icon.

“It’s called Distortion because it describes the music and it fits the world we live in,” says Mould himself. “In this new age, everybody shares their life in real time. But I’m not done yet. If I didn’t have a constantly active career, this anthology might feel like the proverbial dirt landing on top of my coffin — though somehow I seem to be able to crawl my way out of the dirt every time!”

As Mould’s musical trajectory enters its fifth decade, now is the perfect moment to reflect on the journey so far. Distortion’s 24CD box set features 295 tracks, mastered by Jeff Lipton and Maria Rice at Peerless Mastering in Boston, and includes every solo album from 1989’s Workbook to 2019’s Sunshine Rock, the entire Sugar catalogue, Mould’s long out-of-print electronica projects LoudBomb and Blowoff, and 4 live albums spanning the period 1989-2008.

Also included is Distortion Plus: 1989-2019, a new and exclusive collection of rarities and collaborations, featuring such highlights as ‘Dear Rosemary’, Mould’s 2011 collaboration with Foo Fighters, his fabled Golden Palominos contribution ‘Dying From The Inside Out’, plus a previously unreleased demo version of ‘Dog On Fire’, his theme tune for Comedy Central’s The Daily Show.

The 72-page booklet features sleeve notes by Cameron, new interviews with Bob, a foreword by writer and actor Fred Armisen, testimonials by Richard Thompson, Shirley Manson and Best Coast’s Bethany Cosentino, plus lyrics and unseen memorabilia.

The Amazon exclusive CD box, strictly limited to 1000 units worldwide, features the box and an exclusive 12”x 12” print hand-signed by Bob Mould.

24CD Box set – 1989-2019 – https://smarturl.it/Bob_Mould_Distortion

Also released on the 2nd October 2020 is the first in a series of 4 vinyl box sets spanning the same 30-year period. Distortion: 1989-1995, an 8LP box set, contains Workbook through Sugar’s final studio album File Under: Easy Listening, plus Besides, a compilation of Sugar B-sides and non-album tracks, as well as Distortion Plus: 1989-1995 — a new and exclusive collection of rarities and collaborations.

Each album is mastered by Jeff Lipton and Maria Rice, pressed on 140g clear splattered vinyl, and features new Simon Marchner sleeve artwork plus a 28-page companion booklet with new sleeve notes, lyrics and memorabilia.

The indie exclusive 8LP vinyl box edition — strictly limited to 750 copies worldwide — includes a 12”x12” screen-print of the new Copper Blue album cover, hand signed by illustrator Simon Marchner and Bob Mould.

Edited by pepperonigin
added press release

I have finally given up on the possibility of their being a studio version of After All The Roads Have Led To Nowhere. The full electric live version does the song no justice at all. They used to play it with Bob on acoustic guitar, David on bass and Malcolm on tambourine and it is one of the best things the band ever did. I once had it on a cassette bootleg that I lost 20 years ago. Have been looking for it online ever since.

Still getting this, mind. Bob rocked in those days. Would've liked a Modulate vinyl press for completion though.

1 minute ago, ExtraFox said:

I have finally given up on the possibility of their being a studio version of After All The Roads Have Led To Nowhere. The full electric live version does the song no justice at all. They used to play it with Bob on acoustic guitar, David on bass and Malcolm on tambourine and it is one of the best things the band ever did. I once had it on a cassette bootleg that I lost 20 years ago. Have been looking for it online ever since.

Still getting this, mind. Bob rocked in those days. Would've liked a Modulate vinyl press for completion though.

As stated this is only the first of four. There's a 24 CD compilation that has, what I assume, what will be included in the next three vinyl sets. You can check the rest of what's to come on that link. No studio version of After All The Roads Have Led to Nowhere listed though.

9 minutes ago, pepperonigin said:

As stated this is only the first of four. 

So it does - I didn't read anything but the tracklist before I went into a 'buy but get it cheapest' frenzy. So far, Norman have the best price that I've found for people in the UK. 

Not sure I'll buy a boxed set just for Modulate and a bunch of other so-so albums that are already out on vinyl.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ExtraFox said:

2nd vinyl box is out - Hubcap, LD&PS, Modulate, Blowoff, Long Playing Grooves, Body Of Song and another rarities disc. Signed and unsigned.

Yah probably gonna have to get this too. Love his solo stuff. I believe the vinyl is supposed to be across 4 boxes.