PO Now: Thou and Emma Ruth Rundle - May Our Chambers Be Full (10/30/20)

rooks

sba007-thouemma-LP-r0_1024x1024.jpg?v=15

https://thou.bandcamp.com/album/may-our-chambers-be-full

https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/collections/releases/products/sba007-emma-ruth-rundle-thou-may-our-chambers-be-full

Ultra Die-Hard /150 Clear with Silver + Purple splatter - exclusive to Sacred Bones Society Sub - $175

Die Hard Purple + Silver - $32

Die Hard Black - $28

Standard Purple - $19

Standard Black - $17

Edited by rooks

19 minutes ago, Prestonlanes said:

Wish I would have thought about that.  Oh well.

Yeah, I just found this out last week when I got the new Black Marble EP direct from Sacred Bones, they're using a totally different digital fulfillment system now

Edited by BeerMonger
a word

8 minutes ago, JRHews said:

Love Emma Ruth, not a fan of Thou; liked the songs well enough, but fuck those prices. Charging an extra $11 from 'standard' black to 'die-hard black' when there is actually no difference? And an extra $13 from one color to two...

Agreed the price jumps seem dramatic (and unusual for Thou, so I'm guessing SB did the pricing). Also really odd there are no details about what separates the Ultra Die Hard, Die Hard, and Standard editions. It cannot just be variant color, because like you said there is a black standard and a black Die Hard. 

The Magus "Die Hard" edition came with some silk or wax outer sleeve sealed with a wax SB stamp, but I don't know if that's all that set it apart and I also don't know what the original prices were on that one.

9 minutes ago, JRHews said:

Love Emma Ruth, not a fan of Thou; liked the song well enough, but fuck those prices. Charging an extra $11 from 'standard' black to 'die-hard black' when there is actually no difference? And an extra $13 from one color to two...

They’re typically a lot more transparent with their releases and mockups, but historically speaking, “die hard” editions just mean that the record comes wrapped in a custom silkscreen jacket — usually with a variation of the album art — and sealed with a wax stamp.  Sometimes additional goodies are thrown in.  Over the years they’ve felt less and less “worth it” to me.

9 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I think the Ultra Die Hard is what they’re calling that sub edition /500.  Assuming it’s the Die Hard (silkscreen jacket, etc.) but /150, splatter vinyl, and apparently includes a mixtape?

Right, which according to Discogs and their previous releases - the mixtape is just a cassette mixtape of other bands' tracks called "A Mixed Tape by bandname"

Which, maybe some people are into but to me it's a glorified Spotify playlist of other artists' music in cassette format... I don't see the appeal personally. It's like paying extra for the label-sampler CD that gets thrown in with regular orders from labels.

Edited by rooks

11 minutes ago, rooks said:

Agreed the price jumps seem dramatic (and unusual for Thou, so I'm guessing SB did the pricing). Also really odd there are no details about what separates the Ultra Die Hard, Die Hard, and Standard editions. It cannot just be variant color, because like you said there is a black standard and a black Die Hard. 

The Magus "Die Hard" edition came with some silk or wax outer sleeve sealed with a wax SB stamp, but I don't know if that's all that set it apart and I also don't know what the original prices were on that one.

11 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

They’re typically a lot more transparent with their releases and mockups, but historically speaking, “die hard” editions just mean that the record comes wrapped in a custom silkscreen jacket — usually with a variation of the album art — and sealed with a wax stamp.  Sometimes additional goodies are thrown in.  Over the years they’ve felt less and less “worth it” to me.

Exactly. If there is going to be such a drastic price difference, at lest tell me why and what I'm paying for. If its just the packaging, with no other definitive difference in vinyl, then that is definitely not worth. 

6 minutes ago, JRHews said:

Exactly. If there is going to be such a drastic price difference, at lest tell me why and what I'm paying for. If its just the packaging, with no other definitive difference in vinyl, then that is definitely not worth. 

That’s exactly what they did for the Die Hard edition of the last Thou record and several others since.  But even in those instances, they showed the silkscreen art, the vinyl variant, and mentioned how big the edition was.  It’s pretty lame they’re doing none of that this time around, outside of describing the colorway.  I wouldn’t be surprised if SB become more withholding about their editions — I often wonder if more people are starting to realize that a silkscreen print and wax stamp don’t really constitute an increase of 50% to the MSRP.

3 minutes ago, rooks said:

Stop the regret :( - We can all reconvene in 2.5 months and agree that the Standard Purple would have been the better choice all along.

For now I'll ride the hype wave and hold out hope that the Silver/Purple diehard somehow comes out feeling "worth" the price.

Not trying to instill buyers remorse!  It's just not my cup of tea today. I was so hyped when I saw ERR tweet yesterday about a release, then it happened to be this collab and vinyl mess, I'm just a bit disappointed. 

1 minute ago, JRHews said:

Not trying to instill buyers remorse!  It's just not my cup of tea today. I was so hyped when I saw ERR tweet yesterday about a release, then it happened to be this collab and vinyl mess, I'm just a bit disappointed. 

Ah, I can understand that. From the flip perspective, I've only been into Thou for a few weeks/months (but I've been /really/ into them) and I've been reading rumblings of this Thou/ERR collaboration coming down the line "soon-ish". So where it being a collab you didn't expect brought the hype down for you, on my side I'm glad it's finally fully announced and up for PO so that the next Thou tease isn't this one :D

Hah, yeah, despite everything I’ve said above, ERR and Thou are both super solid in my books.  While it’s not a “dream collab” - or even a collab I knew I wanted? - I’m still intrigued by the potential.  The single is really solid and exceeded what I was imagining, to be honest.  Pricy for a single LP but I’d rather deal with selling it at cost if need be vs. prowling for an even pricier copy later on.

3 minutes ago, rooks said:

I'm glad it's finally fully announced and up for PO so that the next Thou tease isn't this one :D

Gotta’ make room for the next covers compilation announcement.

16 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Hah, yeah, despite everything I’ve said above, ERR and Thou are both super solid in my books.  While it’s not a “dream collab” - or even a collab I knew I wanted? - I’m still intrigued by the potential.  The single is really solid and exceeded what I was imagining, to be honest.  Pricy for a single LP but I’d rather deal with selling it at cost if need be vs. prowling for an even pricier copy later on.

Gotta’ make room for the next covers compilation announcement.

Hey. That album of Nirvana covers might be the best thing released so far this year.

3 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

I'm tired of collecting Thou records, haha. I think one of my cubbies on my shelf is just fucking them. I don't even have mutliple variants. Just one of damn near everything 12".

If you're looking to offload ;)

I've only got the 5 main albums and the 2 compilation LPs and it still takes up about 1\3rd of a full cubby. Thou is thick and heavy in more ways than one. 

Edited by rooks

12 minutes ago, rooks said:

Thou is thick and heavy in more ways than one. 

Jumping off this to say that I get why people like Thou, but they are just not for me. I should preface and say that sludge has and always will be one of my favorite genres, and I was super into doom in the last 00's/early 10's, but damn I just think they are so boring. Summit and Heather were average at best for me, but everything else has been a snooze fest, and I can't understand why. I suppose I'm more into the atmospheric side of sludge, and the funeral/death side of doom, so it just doesn't click with me? 

Edited by JRHews