Jump to content

PO: Coheed and Cambria - Jesse's Girl 2


Recommended Posts

https://shopnow.coheedandcambria.com/

 

MODERN ROCK STORYTELLERS COHEED AND CAMBRIA HAVE TEAMED UP WITH GRAMMY AWARD-WINNING SINGER RICK SPRINGFIELD IN THE SEQUEL TO ONE OF THE MOST ICONIC STORIES IN ROCK ‘N’ ROLL HISTORY WITH “JESSIE’S GIRL 2.” THE TRACK, WHICH FINDS THE TWO EXTENDING THE NARRATIVE OF “JESSIE’S GIRL” WITH SOME UNEXPECTED TWISTS.

“HAS ANYONE EVER WRITTEN A SEQUEL TO ANOTHER ARTIST’S SONG?” WONDERS COHEED AND CAMBRIA VOCALIST / GUITARIST CLAUDIO SANCHEZ. “I DON’T THINK SO. AS A FAN OF MOVIES, IT JUST SEEMED LIKE A REALLY INTERESTING IDEA.” THE SONG’S CONCEPT EVOLVES AROUND THE PREMISE THAT ‘HE GOT THE GIRL’ AND ASKS, ‘WHERE ARE THEY NOW?’ LET’S JUST SAY IT’S NOT A FAIRYTALE ENDING, AS SANCHEZ SURMISES, “IT’S KIND OF LIKE A NATIONAL LAMPOON’S MOVIE MEETS SO I MARRIED AN AXE MURDERER.”

LIMITED EDITION 7” VINYL RELEASE OF JESSIE’S GIRL 2!

INCLUDES TWO DIGITAL TRACKS:

IG 1: JESSIE’S GIRL 2 (FEAT. RICK SPRINGFIELD) - RELEASED ON AUGUST 21, 2020

IG 2: JESSIE’S GIRL 2 (DIRECTOR'S CUT) - RELEASED ON SEPTEMBER 4, 2020

SHOPPING FROM THE EU, UK, OR AUSTRALIA? VISIT HTTPS://COHEEDANDCAMBRIA.LNK.TO/CACJESSIESGIRL2.

VINYL SOLD FROM THE US STORE IS SCHEDULED TO RELEASE ON SEPTEMBER 4, 2020.

**LIMIT OF 2 vinyl (PER COLOR) PER CUSTOMER**

 

spacer.png

Edited by Justinadamk
edited title
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, dantheriver said:

Are you implying that all of the coheeds are cheesy as hell?!?! How dare you!

My kindred VC spirit.  You know me too well.

I won’t beat a dead horse with how I feel about Coheed, especially in a Coheed thread of all places.  I will say that any band that plays with “prog” as a genre or sub genre of their sound is a little cheesy to me.  Ditto for conceptual albums.  Double ditto for any artists that double down on it.  Coheed, Mars Volta, Dream Theater... just not my cup of tea.

 

That being said, at least the first 3 Coheed albums are still incredibly solid in my books.  Maybe it’s the nostalgia, or maybe the songwriting transcends the cheese.  Whatever the case, I consider them classics and will back them hard.  A lot of this later space opera with spoken sample is not my bag and I’m just gonna’ leave it at that instead of shitting all over them.  Different strokes, different folks, etc.

 

With all that out of the way... this 7” is such a crazy concept to me.  I don’t think I know of any other artists in my library who’ve done anything similar.  I haven’t checked out the track yet but I plan to, just for kicks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

My kindred VC spirit.  You know me too well.

I won’t beat a dead horse with how I feel about Coheed, especially in a Coheed thread of all places.  I will say that any band that plays with “prog” as a genre or sub genre of their sound is a little cheesy to me.  Ditto for conceptual albums.  Double ditto for any artists that double down on it.  Coheed, Mars Volta, Dream Theater... just not my cup of tea.

 

That being said, at least the first 3 Coheed albums are still incredibly solid in my books.  Maybe it’s the nostalgia, or maybe the songwriting transcends the cheese.  Whatever the case, I consider them classics and will back them hard.  A lot of this later space opera with spoken sample is not my bag and I’m just gonna’ leave it at that instead of shitting all over them.  Different strokes, different folks, etc.

 

With all that out of the way... this 7” is such a crazy concept to me.  I don’t think I know of any other artists in my library who’ve done anything similar.  I haven’t checked out the track yet but I plan to, just for kicks.

The song is fine. I was just doing a joke anyways though, Coheed is silly as fuck. First 3 albums do still rule, I agree. 
Don’t mewithoutYou do sequels to other band’s songs? It’s definitely more of a bit than this... but I’m gonna count it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

The song is fine. I was just doing a joke anyways though, Coheed is silly as fuck. First 3 albums do still rule, I agree. 
Don’t mewithoutYou do sequels to other band’s songs? It’s definitely more of a bit than this... but I’m gonna count it.

Did mwY do any sequel other than that Doors “expansion”, to close out their final album?  If they did I’m drawing a blank.  And while that’s maybe not unnecessarily heard of, I meant to say that it’s especially rare to get the original artist to contribute or collaborate.  That’s where I struggle to decide if it’s ridiculous or impressive, or both.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

Did mwY do any sequel other than that Doors “expansion”, to close out their final album?  If they did I’m drawing a blank.  And while that’s maybe not unnecessarily heard of, I meant to say that it’s especially rare to get the original artist to contribute or collaborate.  That’s where I struggle to decide if it’s ridiculous or impressive, or both.

Sometimes in my brain I think some other band has a song called Nice and Blue but you’re right I think, just the Break on Through pt2. For sure got your drift with the whole sequel to an ancient song with the original songwriter included. It’s for sure ridiculous and impressive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

My kindred VC spirit.  You know me too well.

I won’t beat a dead horse with how I feel about Coheed, especially in a Coheed thread of all places.  I will say that any band that plays with “prog” as a genre or sub genre of their sound is a little cheesy to me.  Ditto for conceptual albums.  Double ditto for any artists that double down on it.  Coheed, Mars Volta, Dream Theater... just not my cup of tea.

 

That being said, at least the first 3 Coheed albums are still incredibly solid in my books.  Maybe it’s the nostalgia, or maybe the songwriting transcends the cheese.  Whatever the case, I consider them classics and will back them hard.  A lot of this later space opera with spoken sample is not my bag and I’m just gonna’ leave it at that instead of shitting all over them.  Different strokes, different folks, etc.

 

With all that out of the way... this 7” is such a crazy concept to me.  I don’t think I know of any other artists in my library who’ve done anything similar.  I haven’t checked out the track yet but I plan to, just for kicks.

Does that apply to BTBAM too? (I really disliked Coma Ecliptic because it went to prog for my taste. More so talking the Parallax story/concept spread across multiple albums, less of the prog element.)

 

I dropped off after the first 4. Everything after that I was like “meh”. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Derek™ said:

That being said, at least the first 3 Coheed albums are still incredibly solid in my books.  Maybe it’s the nostalgia, or maybe the songwriting transcends the cheese.  Whatever the case, I consider them classics and will back them hard.  A lot of this later space opera with spoken sample is not my bag and I’m just gonna’ leave it at that instead of shitting all over them.  Different strokes, different folks, etc.

  Same, except its really just the first 2 for me. After that, they got too grandiose in concept and production. I like the more raw sound, especially that of SSTB. I still like a lot of songs off of the rest of their catalog, but I don't love any of the albums.

 

15 hours ago, Derek™ said:

With all that out of the way... this 7” is such a crazy concept to me.  I don’t think I know of any other artists in my library who’ve done anything similar.  I haven’t checked out the track yet but I plan to, just for kicks.

I wasn't expecting anything out of the track, and I absolutely love it. It's stupid and sugary, but it's a total earworm. I don't want to admit the number of times I've listened to the song in the last 24 hours.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sad Heart said:

Does that apply to BTBAM too? (I really disliked Coma Ecliptic because it went to prog for my taste. More so talking the Parallax story/concept spread across multiple albums, less of the prog element.)

Yeah, great example.  I have a lot of friends who were shitting bricks over any of the Parallax albums being released... but they – and everything after – just struck me as a little too theatrical.  Proggy space opera metal.  Just not my bag though I can see the appeal for some folks.  Ironically enough I had just listened to Colors yesterday morning for the first time in a bit, and I think it still holds up so well.  Moments of it are definitely a little “grandiose” but all in all I just enjoy that aesthetic (or lack of such a deliberate one) way more.  I think TGM is the last BTBAM release I can still enjoy.
 

6 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

 Same, except its really just the first 2 for me. After that, they got too grandiose in concept and production. I like the more raw sound, especially that of SSTB. I still like a lot of songs off of the rest of their catalog, but I don't love any of the albums.

 

I wasn't expecting anything out of the track, and I absolutely love it. It's stupid and sugary, but it's a total earworm. I don't want to admit the number of times I've listened to the song in the last 24 hours.

That’s definitely fair.  On all accounts.  Good Apollo ramped up their production and cinematic elements.  I was obsessed with it at the time of release but I wouldn’t say every element still resonates with me.  I spent a lot of time with albums that followed it, and there are certainly some good cuts, like you said.  Even in the latest albums I think there are some really solid ear-worms, like you said.

 

Except that Color Before the Sun album.  I listened to that one out of pure curiosity and with a fairly open mind, and thought it was completely forgettable drivel with zero redeemable tracks or moments that made my ears perk up.  (Which are sprinkled generously throughout those Afterman albums.  I’ll revisit one or both of those every once in a great while to get my Coheed pop fix.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×

oh my wow GIF by ESPN Deportes

 

Please disable AdBlock OR sign-in in order to be able to access our website...

I Understand, I'll disable it for this website