Saosin - Translating The Name (A "Dark Mode" Theme Appreciation Thread)

On 9/8/2020 at 1:12 PM, angryalan said:

Story time.

Back in the early 2000s I was a manager of several indie movie theaters in the Philly suburb area. I randomly came across Translating The Name  in 2004 and was floored. Played it on repeat all the time and got a fellow co-worker hooked on it too. In 2005 I saw that Saosin was playing at the Trocadero, a fairly small music venue in Philly. At this point I knew the band had a new singer, so I didn't expect the same vocal style, but I was still stoked to see the band live. I went with the same co-worker mentioned above. The set was pretty decent, but lacked the same vocal presence that the former singer Anthony could bring.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement

After Saosin played my co-worker and I went to the upper part of the venue to grab a beer. He lit up a cigarette and we stood there chatting. A minute later some kid walks up to us and asks for a light from my friend. He hands over the lighter, the two look at each other, and the interaction went as such...

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement

Kid: "Brian?"
Co-worker: "Oh hey... Anthony!"
Co-worker (to me): "Do you remember Mike Green who used to work at the theater in Doylestown? This is his little brother Anthony."
Me: "Oh, yeah. Hey man, nice to meet you" (shakes hands)

At this point the two of them continued chatting and I stood there for a solid 2 minutes repeating in my head... "Anthony. Anthony. Anthony Green. Anthony Green? ANTHONY FUCKING GREEN!"
Me: "HOLY SHIT! YOU'RE ANTHONY GREEN!"
Brian: "Uhhh, so what?"
Me to Brian: "Dude, this is Anthony Green, formerly of SAOSIN and now Circa Survive. We've played Translating The Name non-stop. That's his fucking voice!"

Brian: "Oh shit."

The three of us chatted for a good hour about his brother, his time in Saosin, and new band Circa Survive. Turns out Anthony grew up in the same town as us and we knew his older brother without even realizing it. Over the years we would grab drinks with Anthony here and there in town and he often hooked us up with the Circa Survive show guest list or photo passes. I miss those days.

I’ve actually had a few run-ins with Anthony and he’s a total nice guy. I’m sure he’s toned down now, too, but that dude sure knew how to party.

• 4 months later...
9 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

But the variant color he said.... why???? White with silver lyrics for the B-Side? Will you even be able to read that? And of course, the white vinyl curse.

At least it's being pressed to vinyl. 🤷‍♂️

I would take a picture disc of Anthony's taint at this point.

15 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

But the variant color he said.... why???? White with silver lyrics for the B-Side? Will you even be able to read that? And of course, the white vinyl curse.

the original cd cover is white with silver text, i guess he wants it matchy matchy. i think a clear with white/silver splatter would've been sick.

3 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

bEcAuSe It mAtChEs tHe Cd, DUH!

But for real, that is not a winning combo right there 😕 

Edit... mostly because I assume side B implies it is going to be picture disc style?
If not, I dont mind a plain white Side A with good sounding music on it. 

Edited by V3XED

17 hours ago, corey. said:

Lot of whining in here lol. Don't buy it if you don't want it, I dunno.

I'm stoked this is seeing any press at all.

I mean I'll be happy to have it as well. However, this very well could be the one time they press it, given that it's done by the band. Why not go for something big as opposed to the very 5 seconds of thought "just make it match the artwork." A clear + anything would have taken 5 more seconds of thought and likely will come out better. A clear + white/silver splatter. A clear + white blob. Heck, I might take a black with black etching like that test pressing over white w/ silver.

They couldn't have gone any better than white vinyl. This EP is connected with white color. Period. 

Also and this is just personal and maybe boomer, but I'm so tired of fancy splatter, wax mage etc extravaganza, all my favorite records are plain and simple colored records. 

• mitchard changed the title to Saosin - Translating The Name (A "Dark Mode" Theme Appreciation Thread)