Sumiko Moonstone vs. The Vessel A3SE cartridge

I recently upgraded an 80s model Yamaha turntable with a Pro-Ject X2. Love the X2. 

My questions relates to the stylus. 

I was running a Vessel AS3SE cartridge in my former turntable. Sure, some records (particularly stuff from the CTI label for some reason) left a lot of room for improvement sound-wise. The thing is, nothing skipped. Ever. 

Now I'm running this Sumiko Moonstone with the Pro-Ject. Yes, it sounds excellent. The thing is, it's finding skips on records that I never heard before. I have an old record club copy of Monk's Dream that used to play straight through on each side and now it skips like mad. Ditto my German pressing of Miles Smiles. I would like to add that I don't not play junky records. I always try to buy stuff in VG+ or above condition and keep it clean. I keep the stylus clean (Onzow) and use anti-static storage and an anti-static brush, etc. 

I've gone so far as to check out the grooves with a microscope and in some cases I feel like the Sumiko is catching on what can only be described as otherwise unnoticeable minor stamper defects. I mean there's not much there in the way of evidence and the records aren't dirty. What's more is I'm running at suggested tracking speed, with everything checking out and I've tried a slightly heavier tracking speed which can help but still meets its match. 

1) Are more expensive stylus typically more sensitive in this way? (I know the price difference here is relatively small: $100 for the Vessel vs. $300 for the Sumiko)

2) Can anyone recommend a stylus that sounds great but can also power through ever-so-slightly imperfect grooves? 

Thanks.