Is Dead Format coming back?

rrd

2 hours ago, jhulud said:

I still use the good ol’ Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my collection. I tried to catalog in Discogs but it would a daunting task. 

I do the same for my Less Than Jake collection. Makes it a lot easier for me to keep track of what I have and am looking for compared to Discogs.

I think Dead Format was better at showing off collections. Don't remember too much of the sales/trades/community, but I don't recall any problems.

Discogs is good as a database (pressing info, variants, current "value") and the marketplace can be handy. But the collection layout is messy and cluttered... Navigating releases can be a little tedious... Adding things not in the database is a pain...

Edited by No This Is Patrick

4 minutes ago, Prestonlanes said:

I shifted to Discogs, and as much I as I preferred Dead Format, I can't see myself entering everything in manually again.  Also, one of my favorite things on Discogs is that if you shake your phone, it brings up a random record in your collection.  Record Roulette! 

I use this so, so much.  Mulligan if it’s something like a drone or ambient record in the middle of the day when I need something with some pep or percussion... but otherwise it’s really fun to abide by.

4 hours ago, Sad Heart said:

Tell me you can share the Google Sheets layout...

1 hour ago, V3XED said:

Yo if your sheets layout is that FIRE you best not be teasing.

I would love to get access to that template as well! Nice work!

I don’t know if it’s possible to share a layout?  It’d be fun to design something for public use that’s a little less manual.  The one I use has hidden fields that log and tally unique releases vs. variants, pre-orders, and stuff in transit.  I also use a PS macro to make instant icons of the album art.  It works for me but it requires upkeep, and it’s not without its faults.  Adding a new line above the “M” section or higher stalls the browser for a solid 60 seconds or more, since it has to shift 800+ thumbnails down.  It’d be completely bypassed if you could live without the album art icons, but that’s half the fun for me.

I think if DF doesn’t offer enough (clean) customization, I’d be interested in creating something slick for wide use.  Preferably with a darker, suave aesthetic.  I don’t believe I’ve seen that on any vinyl collection site.  And preferably a little more user friendly.

What would be incredible is to have a script pull sales figures from Discogs to display on the spreadsheet.  Having access to Min / Med / Max values that update in real-time would be the shit, but I don’t know enough about scripting to make that happen.  But that’s probably one of my favorite features to peruse when flipping through the collection on Discogs.

14 hours ago, mouthofinfinity said:

I hope there’s a way you can there’s a way you can import your collection from Discogs because there’s no way I’m reentering my collection to DF manually again. 

Export your Discogs collection to Excel then copy/past into DF (assuming a similar input format as from before).

10 hours ago, danyc said:

Nice to see. Wondering if Nick is still in charge of it? Maybe he got board of woodworking. 

13 minutes ago, burntwolf said:

deadformat was deadformat.net. Virgil owned deadformat.com domain, but I'm sure let it lapse. Could be old Dead Format. Could be something totally different.

If you check the Contact link at the bottom of the page it's Nick's email.

Personally, I always preferred Discogs.  The only thing Dead Format had going for it was the trading/buy/sell community.  The smart thing to do would be to focus on that rather than trying to be better than Discogs for cataloging.

2 hours ago, daegor said:

Personally, I always preferred Discogs.  The only thing Dead Format had going for it was the trading/buy/sell community.  The smart thing to do would be to focus on that rather than trying to be better than Discogs for cataloging.

This. Discogs was really overwhelming until there wasn't a better option (I still really miss the old Limited Pressing) but now I don't think I could go back to DF just to keep a catalog. 

4 hours ago, burntwolf said:

Discogs works fine for me, especially getting the correct pressing info. 

Also, deadformat was deadformat.net. Virgil owned deadformat.com domain, but I'm sure let it lapse. Could be old Dead Format. Could be something totally different.

virgil finally let the .com domain lapse and nick bought it

4 hours ago, daegor said:

Yeah Discogs 100% for me. I used Dead Format for about a year before it went away, so can't say much to it. It's quick to put stuff in my collection and assuming people care enough for the artist, the details usually get really well sorted out. The only problem I'd say is that it's difficult to add additional details or sorting to releases. For instance, you still can't filter/sort by record speed.