Distorted sounds on a record after ~10 plays

Hello, I was wondering about something that happened to a record (https://www.discogs.com/FFF-Coco-Bryce-Double-Dragon-EP/master/1189338) of mine. I got it a few months ago and have probably played the songs on it around 10 times, 20 maximum. The past few times I've played it I've noticed that some of the sounds on it (synthesizers?) have begun to sound warbly and distorted, unlike my first plays of the record and uploads of the music. I noticed this on my stereo setup, not the recording device, so it's not the recording device. If this means anything, which it may, the tracks are A2 and B2, so they're closer to the label. I also noticed in my recording that the distorted part is distorted only when other sounds are playing, i.e. when the sound is playing by itself there's no distortion. Am I:

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Replay
Unmute

Current Time 0:19
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 100.00%

0:19
Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:00

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

doing something seriously wrong, like having too heavy a tracking force or too much anti-skating? (I accidentally messed up the anti-skating a little while ago; I think it was before I noticed this)

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Replay
Unmute

/

Stream Type LIVE

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Pause
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/

Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement

playing the record with a broken cartridge / stylus?

being ripped off by the seller? (The record was supposed to be in mint condition except with a generic sleeve; the record was out for a few years before I got it)

making a mountain out of a molehill over a normal-for-this-kind-of-music problem?

I also acquired a noise record (a record that has been mutilated by someone to sound like, well, noise) from a friend and have tried to play it a few times. I also have a tendency to drop the tonearm onto the record; could either of these break my stylus to the point where it plays a record wrong? I don't think that it's the stylus because I don't hear this on other records.

(Also, you can hear the distortion on A2 (it also occurs on B2) in this audio file: https://sndup.net/7726)

2 hours ago, dracodrago1330 said:

Hello, I was wondering about something that happened to a record (https://www.discogs.com/FFF-Coco-Bryce-Double-Dragon-EP/master/1189338) of mine. I got it a few months ago and have probably played the songs on it around 10 times, 20 maximum. The past few times I've played it I've noticed that some of the sounds on it (synthesizers?) have begun to sound warbly and distorted, unlike my first plays of the record and uploads of the music. I noticed this on my stereo setup, not the recording device, so it's not the recording device. If this means anything, which it may, the tracks are A2 and B2, so they're closer to the label. I also noticed in my recording that the distorted part is distorted only when other sounds are playing, i.e. when the sound is playing by itself there's no distortion. Am I:

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Replay
Unmute

/

Stream Type LIVE

Playback Rate

1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track

Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

doing something seriously wrong, like having too heavy a tracking force or too much anti-skating? (I accidentally messed up the anti-skating a little while ago; I think it was before I noticed this)

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Replay
Unmute

/

Stream Type LIVE

Playback Rate

1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track

Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Pause
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/

Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate

1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track

Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement

playing the record with a broken cartridge / stylus?

being ripped off by the seller? (The record was supposed to be in mint condition except with a generic sleeve; the record was out for a few years before I got it)

making a mountain out of a molehill over a normal-for-this-kind-of-music problem?

I also acquired a noise record (a record that has been mutilated by someone to sound like, well, noise) from a friend and have tried to play it a few times. I also have a tendency to drop the tonearm onto the record; could either of these break my stylus to the point where it plays a record wrong? I don't think that it's the stylus because I don't hear this on other records.

(Also, you can hear the distortion on A2 (it also occurs on B2) in this audio file: https://sndup.net/7726)

What the fuck is a "noise record" and please never fucking put it on a living turntable again you monster. 

4 hours ago, dracodrago1330 said:

Noise record

)

cq0rswj3_main_0_2000x1333.png
Understand your customers
Plug and play with your current sta

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Replay
Unmute

/

Stream Type LIVE

Playback Rate

1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track

Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Clos also acquired a noise record (a record that has been mutilated by someone to sound like, well, noise) from a friend and have tried to play it a few times. 

Can we merge this with the last Death Grips thread? Probably Year of the Snitch. 

12 hours ago, Shelby American said:

Can you please record the noise record? I have a hunch about what it could be but need to hear that first.

I would record it / send pictures of it but I'm afraid of belittlement by all the people who think it's their job to call out the people who do what they want to do with their record player.

1 minute ago, dracodrago1330 said:

I would record it / send pictures of it but I'm afraid of belittlement by all the people who think it's their job to call out the people who do what they want to do with their record player.

There’s no need to get snooty.  You’re the one who joined the boards to ask this question.  If you’re not trolling and you legitimately played a physically scuffed record, it’s like joining an appliance forum to ask why your washing machine sounds a little rattly after its 10th use, and speculating that it could have something to do with the occasional heavy cycle of cedar bricks and nails.  And then getting defensive when others question if you’re for real?  Come on.

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

There’s no need to get snooty.  You’re the one who joined the boards to ask this question.  If you’re not trolling and you legitimately played a physically scuffed record, it’s like joining an appliance forum to ask why your washing machine sounds a little rattly after its 10th use, and speculating that it could have something to do with the occasional heavy cycle of cedar bricks and nails.  And then getting defensive when others question if you’re for real?  Come on.

Well I'm somewhat new to vinyl and I had no clue if playing a noise record could cause damage.

Anyways, should I play the record on another turntable with a different cartridge to see if it's my main turntable's cartridge? I don't hear distortion like this on any other records; I have around twenty others and got a new record recently (I listened to it a lot; this was after i noticed the distortion)

It was so much more fun and enticing when there was the plausibility that OP was sincere and not just trolling.  Like the little bit of “what if...” magic in the air around Christmas time, as a toddler.

A firm 4/10 bait thread for me.

Well, it's not bait, and there's actually a problem! "There's no need to get snooty."

spacer.png

You see the stylus? It's over ~15 degrees from where it should be.

spacer.png

A horrible illustration of the stylus, but it gets the job done: red is where it is, green is where it should be.

Now, changing the topic to something that I hope people can actually answer and not go "Troll!! Troll!!" even though it's a real question: how do I fix this crooked stylus without permanent damage? I tried pushing it gently over, but it didn't move and I didn't push harder in fear that the stylus might break.

13 minutes ago, dracodrago1330 said:

You see the stylus? It's over ~15 degrees from where it should be.

Yeahh, that might be your problem. Never had this happen to me but all I can think of is taking, like, a set of pliers or something and slowly forming it back into its place. If that doesn't work you might have to replace that part?

And be careful about playing any damaged or dirty records. That can seriously wreck your needle or, in this case, the tonearm. 

3 minutes ago, ghost said:

Yeahh, that might be your problem. Never had this happen to me but all I can think of is taking, like, a set of pliers or something and slowly forming it back into its place. If that doesn't work you might have to replace that part?

And be careful about playing any damaged or dirty records. That can seriously wreck your needle or, in this case, the tonearm. 

The tonearm??? Oof.

Anyways, I think before I just go at it with a pair of pliers I'll look it up a bit, now that I know what the problem is... thank you for the input! I will be more careful, especially if I have to replace the cartridge.

EDIT: A quick bit of research says "Your stylus is really bent" and "Use a toothpick, not pliers".

Edited by dracodrago1330

3 minutes ago, dracodrago1330 said:

The tonearm??? Oof.

Anyways, I think before I just go at it with a pair of pliers I'll look it up a bit, now that I know what the problem is... thank you for the input! I will be more careful, especially if I have to replace the cartridge.

EDIT: A quick bit of research says "Your stylus is really bent" and "Use a toothpick, not pliers".

Sorry, not tonearm, not sure why I said that haha. I was watching something while writing this.

Good luck!