Distorted sounds on a record after ~10 plays

Buy a new cartridge, set the tone arm weight appropriately (set it to 0 flat center, use a balanced pencil for reference), and don't drop your tone arm onto records or the table anymore, aka don't operate your turntable when you're drunk. Trust me. I've learned this the hard way myself lol. 

4 hours ago, Shelby American said:

You need a new stylus, once you adjust that one it'll probably just snap off.

Can I still try to adjust it in case it decides to... cooperate? All I know is that new, decent quality styli are more expensive than I want to be, at least I think the one on this turntable is. Should I look up what the cartridge is in the manual (or appropriate resource) and just buy a replacement, or go full circle and get a totally different cartridge?

Now that makes me think, "Are there cartridges made specifically for this bass-heavy type of music?"... I'll have to look that up, too. Wow, I really suck at looking things up!

On 9/3/2020 at 4:51 PM, dracodrago1330 said:

Can I still try to adjust it in case it decides to... cooperate? All I know is that new, decent quality styli are more expensive than I want to be, at least I think the one on this turntable is. Should I look up what the cartridge is in the manual (or appropriate resource) and just buy a replacement, or go full circle and get a totally different cartridge?

Now that makes me think, "Are there cartridges made specifically for this bass-heavy type of music?"... I'll have to look that up, too. Wow, I really suck at looking things up!

Styli are disposable, and are engineered to be replaced after a certain amount of time.

Even when the sound gets a “little fuzzy,” and does not go back after you clean your stylus, (With a brush or ZeroDust, NEVER your finger)

REPLACE the stylus.

Your stylus/cartridge can be easily replaced. Some records, not so easy.

Get a second, cheap stylus for just your noise records, unless the “noise” is recorded into the mix, (Ex: Merzbow) and not being made from sandpapering the record.

Edited by Plarocks

So, I'm just checking to make sure: a replacement stylus, not a replacement cartridge? Like https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATN95E-Replacement-Stylus-Cartridge/dp/B001IEPNN6? It's just a replacement stylus (the same type that came with the turntable). Should I stick to that or upgrade to something better (and more expensive)?

15 hours ago, dracodrago1330 said:

So, I'm just checking to make sure: a replacement stylus, not a replacement cartridge? Like https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATN95E-Replacement-Stylus-Cartridge/dp/B001IEPNN6? It's just a replacement stylus (the same type that came with the turntable). Should I stick to that or upgrade to something better (and more expensive)?

That, my friend, is up to you.

Since you seem to be looking for economy, I would just replace the stylus.

If you want to use this issue to pay more and upgrade the cartridge, go for it.

1 minute ago, vinyl addict said:

Looks like an AT95e.

Just buy a new one and snap it in there. No need to use pliers(wtf?) to try to fix it, its broken.

AT95e stylus is about $30

Yep, found that out. I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw up and waste $30 (the price of two good records).