PO: Maxwell Stern (Signals Midwest) - Impossible Sum

https://www.lauren-records.com/categories/maxwell-stern

First 100 orders will be mailed a personalized postcard from Max with a download of “I Reached Out,” an exclusive b-side from the record. Every domestic order comes with a free Stern MFG book of matches. Out Sept. 25.

First Pressing

/400 Turquoise LPs

/100 Surprise Color LP (Record Club / Retail Exclusive)

Bullmoose has a "colored vinyl" variant available, which I assume is apart of the /100 surprise colored records. Cost $2 - $3 more than the Lauren PO, but you don't pay till it ships so that's always nice. I'm wondering if this will be random colored records or those mashy purple/brown/grey recycled lookin' records. 

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/34717512/maxwell-stern-impossible-sum-colored-vinyl-w-download-card

43 minutes ago, Oblivions said:

This went out to Lauren Records Record Club subscribers a week or two ago. I’m not that into Signals Midwest but I really dug his songs on this, I recommend taking a listen even if you’re not already an existing SM head.

What'd your record look like it? 

42 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

What'd your record look like it? 

Edit: I just saw the description after I posted. Is it supposed to be a secret? I wouldn’t want to let the cat out of the purposeful bag if Aaron/Maxwell are keeping it on the down low. 

Double edit: I don’t know if it’s a random color dealio but I’ll say mine wasn’t a transition/mixed brown blob thing. It looked like a real variant related to the bonus item that retail people are getting along with the purchase.

Edited by Oblivions

2 hours ago, Oblivions said:

Edit: I just saw the description after I posted. Is it supposed to be a secret? I wouldn’t want to let the cat out of the purposeful bag if Aaron/Maxwell are keeping it on the down low. 

Double edit: I don’t know if it’s a random color dealio but I’ll say mine wasn’t a transition/mixed brown blob thing. It looked like a real variant related to the bonus item that retail people are getting along with the purchase.

So it matches the gold/black matchbook, gotcha.

Hi y'all, thanks for posting this. Appreciate the support.

For the vinyl heads - we have had really good luck with the random colors this time around. I've done a ton of random pressings and sometimes I've gotten the "transition/mixed brown blob thing" as someone else mentioned. Most of the "transition colors" that I've seen for this pressing have been varying levels of translucent yellow. They look really nice, especially alongside the shiny gold matchbooks that come with every record.

The main records (/400) are a nice opaque turquoise and they sound really good. One of the better quality / thicker pressings I've ever had for my own music (other than the time when the plant accidentally pressed all of the first pressing of the first Signals LP on 180 gram. Really lucked out on that one!). The jackets have a nice rough matte finish on 'em, too.

And thank you to anybody reading this, whether you know my work with Signals or any other projects or not. A lot of these songs were inspired by time spent listening to stuff that we listen to on the road. Tom Petty, Neil Young, Jets to Brazil, Weakerthans, Laura Stevenson (who sings with me on a song here), Magnolia Electric Co. (whose lap steel player Mike Brenner plays on about half this record).

spacer.png

Super proud of it, hope y'all like it.

- Max

Now that it’s been described above and doesn’t seem to be a secret secret, I’ll share that mine is clear with a few whisps of black smoke. I didn’t get a match book with mine but it is a cool random connection between the matches and the smoke effect on my copy. Again, very rad album. ✌🏽

7 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Got my turquoise copy today. No postcard though 😕

Will try and get my hands on a /100 copy. 

Records are getting mailed out from California at Lauren Records HQ. Postcards are coming from me here in Philly and I'm still writing them. Will get there soon if you're in the first 100!