'New Vinyl Quality Control – I’m Running Out of Patience' - An Article

Hot take: this person is picking mainstream records which have enormous pressing sizes and are bound to be fraught with imperfections because of that. I am not totally sure but a few of the ones he mentioned may have had pressings of 10k+.

At this point what can you say? Listen to more obscure music? Buy limited editions with lower pressing numbers? Stop buying colored vinyl? Research the pressing plant before making a purchase? All of the above would probably improve buyer satisfaction. 

to be fair, a couple of the records he highlights are QRP audiophile grade pressings (Counting Crows and Norah Jones). QRP presses in smaller batches and swaps out stampers (in their most premier cases, every 1000 records). But also highlighting a RSD release at being $40 and getting that quality isn't the best example. 

I think artists and labels do need to put pressure on plants for better QC. We all know URP is the worst offender. 

EDIT: Just read his comments. he has a non-Analogue Pressing of Norah Jones. 

Edited by timsimmons

He lost all credibility with me when he bitched about the "color contamination" and the record not being pure yellow. Are you for fuckin' real?!?!

I am sure that his local store loved dealing with his insufferable ass when he went to swap it out...someone with better snark and cynicism please play out the exchange on that day. 

7 minutes ago, jhulud said:

someone with better snark and cynicism please play out the exchange on that day. 

Record Store Employees: “Fuck, it’s Marc again.” “You deal with him this time, I almost slapped him last time.”  “Ugh, HEY Marc, what’s up.”

Marc: “I’ve seen to come across a damage with this T Rex record from a couple weeks ago. See there, that little black spot. That’s not supposed to be there. It’s supposed to be ALL YELLOW.”

RSE: *slaps* “Dude seriously, don’t come

back.”

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

to be fair, a couple of the records he highlights are QRP audiophile grade pressings (Counting Crows and Norah Jones). QRP presses in smaller batches and swaps out stampers (in their most premier cases, every 1000 records). But also highlighting a RSD release at being $40 and getting that quality isn't the best example. 

I think artists and labels do need to put pressure on plants for better QC. We all know URP is the worst offender. 

EDIT: Just read his comments. he has a non-Analogue Pressing of Norah Jones. 

Tim, just so you’re aware...a set of stampers generally lasts about 800-1200 records...sometimes less even.  This doesn’t change based on the pressing size.

The color contamination argument is of course asinine, but it's definitely true that quality control is well below what it should be for the majority of current pressings. Unfortunately the only way to improve it is to raise hell until those in charge of production get the message. I also think for those of us who err on the perfectionist/OCD side of the spectrum this issue can get blown out of proportion. You have to expect imperfections from this format. But when it comes to issues like non-fill, physical damage on new records, off-center spindle holes, or poor mastering we have to call that nonsense out, it's all preventable. I do feel bad for record stores and labels who have to deal with returns due to screw ups beyond their control, it's a tough gig as is.

1 hour ago, se7enstitches said:

.....highly debatable

Are you saying that running and independent record store or label is not a tough gig? Maybe you have experience that I don't, but I wouldn't assume it's a cake walk.

9 minutes ago, OU818 said:

Soon I will be able to say I collected CDs before, after, and before they were cool

I've slowly started moving back in that direction. They're not half bad.