PO: NOTHING - The Great Dismal (10/30/2020) & The Great Dismal B-Sides 12" (10/8/21) - Up Next: Collab w/ Full of Hell 10/11 Midnight EST

zaoza

30 minutes ago, drewberinger said:

it fucking sucks that we don't get to experience this album (and countless others) live right now

It does, and these streams are all the more bittersweet for it. I’d have loved to see Hayley Williams, phoebe bridgers, deftones, enter shikari, touche amore, and clipping. tour on their new stuff.

After one listen, I can already say this is my favorite Nothing album. It sounds great, much much better than Dance on the Blacktop. I also think it’s more dynamic than Guilty Of Everything. The guitars sound killer too and the clean/distorted distinction packs a lot of punch. I obviously still need to dive in deeper, but so far I love it. 

The record itself and packaging looks great. I do have pretty noticeable pops in the beginning of song 1 side B. Other than that it sounds amazing. 

7 minutes ago, parkinglot said:

My /200 clear/blue half n half/black blob/white/orange splatter sounds and looks great. 

love the opening track but it feels more like a closer to me. Also Alex G is on April Ha Ha?? hell ya 

Me too. I like this album a lot but A Fabricated Life starts the record on such a whimper and it goes on for 5 long minutes. I can't shake it and honestly skip it each time. Other than that though from a sort of fair-weather fan it is a great LP.  

I have the /1000 royal blue smoke, magenta, etc..The pops on side 2 song 1 are only for about half the song maybe a little less, but are loud and consistent. The rest is great. Not a huge deal, but I think relapse may be sending a replacement. If not I can deal. I had the same thing happen on a Dino Jr. Reissue of Without a Sound. Had my local shop replace it twice and all three copies had the same issue through half of track 1 side 1. 

11 minutes ago, derek123 said:

I have the /1000 royal blue smoke, magenta, etc..The pops on side 2 song 1 are only for about half the song maybe a little less, but are loud and consistent. The rest is great. Not a huge deal, but I think relapse may be sending a replacement. If not I can deal. I had the same thing happen on a Dino Jr. Reissue of Without a Sound. Had my local shop replace it twice and all three copies had the same issue through half of track 1 side 1. 

Bet they love you and don’t talk shit about you at all at that shop

1 hour ago, thetrackt said:

Me too. I like this album a lot but A Fabricated Life starts the record on such a whimper and it goes on for 5 long minutes. I can't shake it and honestly skip it each time. Other than that though from a sort of fair-weather fan it is a great LP.  

The opener gets stronger for me with every listen. Definitely a dreary tune, but it's kind of like a feeling of "slow awakening" to the album, for me. They opened with it on their live stream last night and it was great! The harmonizing with Doyle was so good. Love the lyrics too. 

Edited by phantasmatt

1 hour ago, phantasmatt said:

The opener gets stronger for me with every listen. Definitely a dreary tune, but it's kind of like a feeling of "slow awakening" to the album, for me. They opened with it on their live stream last night and it was great! The harmonizing with Doyle was so good. Love the lyrics too. 

I'll second this. I didn't like it at first but I definitely do now.

Never really got into Nothing's other records, but this one clicked right away. I'm really enjoying this. Need to dive into the back catalogue again.

A quick opinion on Will Yip: He excels at this type of production, but he brought this style to some hardcore releases last year (Defeater and La Dispute are two that stick out to me). I really disliked the way the vocals were mixed. Two bands that rely heavily on their lyrical narratives, and you could hardly hear 'em.

• jhulud changed the title to PO: NOTHING - The Great Dismal (10/30/2020) & The Great Dismal B-Sides 12" (10/8/21) - Up Next: Collab w/ Full of Hell 10/11 Midnight EST