PO: NOTHING - The Great Dismal (10/30/2020) & The Great Dismal B-Sides 12" (10/8/21) - Up Next: Collab w/ Full of Hell 10/11 Midnight EST

zaoza

7 minutes ago, The Fuck Whisperer said:

It also sounds like y'all don't have the final say in where spending goes lol 

Even if I didn't have a wife who of (obviously) gets a say in where our money goes, I can't imagine having $1000-2000+ in outstanding orders of records alone.

I'm serious though, folks that have those kinds of ordering habits, are y'all just loaded? Or are you not saving any money for an emergency/the future? I'm not trying to shame anyone here, but I worry a little bit about some of you guys. I've been here a long time and gotten to know some of you, so there is a level of care/friendship there. I'm also just curious.

8 minutes ago, The Fuck Whisperer said:

So yeah, no wife/gf there's your answer Randy lol. I don't personally think 1-2k in preorders is that big of a deal when you've got a $100,000+ collection like I'm sure he does. 

I donno... My collection is nearing the $100k mark too at this point, and I can't imagine having a mortgage payment and a half tied up in record orders. Different strokes I guess.

2 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I donno... My collection is nearing the $100k mark too at this point, and I can't imagine having a mortgage payment and a half tied up in record orders. Different strokes I guess.

Gotta get into Crypto. Money is meaningless now.

1 hour ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

As someone who makes a pretty decent living...how are you guys ordering so many records and still surviving/saving any money for the future?

IMO don't be me. I keep telling myself to stop ha. I honestly probably will stop buying new stuff here soon. But realistically, that 35 was between February and now, so it's only like 5 records a month, or like ~$120 a month (prices have gone up lol).

Currently make $60K a year, but just got a new job that's $140K a year. It's been hard telling myself to not adjust my spending limit up. I want to keep it at $100/month max.

Edited by MCDELTAT

Yeah, it's actually not too absurd when you consider the production time and delays with vinyl these days.  I had 50+ open orders about a month or two ago, and now I think I'm "down" to 40.  Should be in the 30s by this weekend.  I'm not going to make assumptions for people who have 7 open pre-orders, or those who have 70.  All I'll say is that for myself, personally, I listen to a fair bit of genres across a decent amount of labels, so it adds up quick.  I'm also swayed with the occasional reissue or better variant to double-dip, but I'm not pre-ordering 4+ copies of the same album these days.  And like @The Fuck Whisperer said, the hobby™ kind of sustains itself anyway, if you've been collecting for more than 5 years.  It's become commonplace to jump on a nicer variant or reissue and sell the OG to cover that purchase, as well as 1-3 more records in the near future.  Or I'll find out that some nostalgia-core record on my shelf is worth $200, and decide that it's worth selling over keeping around for the annual listen.

Covid is also a bit of a factor.  I'm not buying tickets or traveling near as much as I was for live shows, 2-3 years back.  I do live on my own – and don't exactly disclose every purchase to my girlfriend – and even without going hog-wild on POs, it's still been a huge struggle to get the number of open orders down.  Those 8-month turnarounds don't help.

36 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

IMO don't be me. I keep telling myself to stop ha. I honestly probably will stop buying new stuff here soon. But realistically, that 35 was between February and now, so it's only like 5 records a month, or like ~$120 a month (prices have gone up lol).

Currently make $60K a year, but just got a new job that's $140K a year. It's been hard telling myself to not adjust my spending limit up. I want to keep it at $100/month max.

Congrats, dude! That's a huge upgrade. :)

4 hours ago, glass realms said:

It's pretty silly that nothing now have put up orders for 3 records that have yet to be released.

I just realised I have actually 4(!) pre ordered nothing vinyl- great dismal b-sides, ToT 5th anniversary version, nothing/integrity splitsville and don't look for light in tunnels...this is crazy...;)

2 hours ago, qula said:

I just realised I have actually 4(!) pre ordered nothing vinyl- great dismal b-sides, ToT 5th anniversary version, nothing/integrity splitsville and don't look for light in tunnels...this is crazy...;)

And does anyone have a better idea what that Don’t Look For Light in Tunnels release will be?

3 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

Wow, awesome increase. I was promoted back in January and I thought my 25K raise was good! I don't even look at my record budget, as long as I continue to pay my bills and stash money away in my 401K, I'm good. With that said, I'm putting my foot down on this Nothing record since the Don't Look For Light... release was already crazy expensive.

3 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

More so what will be on the LP not the release date.  New album?  Live album?  

Oh right, the actual recording, sorry.

Just read it again, and still no fucking idea. I think a kind of livish session on the A side like a demo of some tracks. And fuck knows what on the B.

5 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

That's one hell of a promotion. Congrats! 

The FOMO is what made me spring for Don’t Look For Light in Tunnels more than anything. If it is just a live album, I'll probably end up getting rid of it at some point, unless it is absolutely stellar. But on the off-chance that it has new stuff or is 'something more than', I had to go for it. 
Plus, that black on black on black...

• jhulud changed the title to PO: NOTHING - The Great Dismal (10/30/2020) & The Great Dismal B-Sides 12" (10/8/21) - Up Next: Collab w/ Full of Hell 10/11 Midnight EST