PO: NOTHING - The Great Dismal (10/30/2020) & The Great Dismal B-Sides 12" (10/8/21) - Up Next: Collab w/ Full of Hell 10/11 Midnight EST

zaoza

49 minutes ago, ntslash said:

Anyone else have a ton of pops and clicks on their copy? Mine is the Pinwheel version limited to 100. Looks awesome and sounds good other than the pops. But when I turn it up loud enough, I barely notice! 

My deluxe is pretty poppy towards the end of each side. To be fair I haven’t done shit but run an anti static brush over it though.

10 hours ago, dantheriver said:

My deluxe is pretty poppy towards the end of each side. To be fair I haven’t done shit but run an anti static brush over it though.

Do you ever do anything more than that? Genuinely curious, because that’s all I do with new records. 

On the topic, my record was supposed to be here today but is “Arriving late”. Very ready to jam this. Might break down and listen to it tomorrow before it gets here. 

Edited by derek123

4 hours ago, derek123 said:

Do you ever do anything more than that? Genuinely curious, because that’s all I do with new records. 

On the topic, my record was supposed to be here today but is “Arriving late”. Very ready to jam this. Might break down and listen to it tomorrow before it gets here. 

Nah not really. I have a spin clean or whatever but rarely use it. I just pump a ton of money into the hobby and then don’t even take it seriously. I’m pretty weak.

Unbiased opinion from someone who has only listened to Nothing here and there:

This album is good. I like it a bunch. The last half is better than the first. But it builds and I think that's the point. If you like this band, you'll enjoy this LP. If you've never listened to them, ever, this could be a good starting point.

I don't regret the deluxe purchase, but the mylar bag is unnecessary to me. The booklet is fantastic! No squinting at a tiny printed insert.

Overall, 8/10 package & 8/10 record. 

I would have been content with any decent sounding colorway, but the "black in half clear/ half blue with splatter /200" is very nice looking with almost no noise.

My /100 pinwheel sounds flawless. I sort of expected the bag to have a ziplock seal instead of adhesive. I ended up taking the LP sleeve out and won't store it in the bag, to avoid wearing out the adhesive/possibly tearing.

Excited for the live stream tonight, and I have some of the Tired Hands x Nothing beer coming this weekend as well!

Not that anyone asked, but I'll piggyback on Fowty's 8/10 vote.  That seems super solid from early impressions, anyway.  I feel like this is maybe their most mature record to date.  Out of the gates, I get the impression that they had a very specific atmosphere and sound in mind, and I think they really nailed it.  The record is super cohesive and I dig it.  As much as I enjoy Tired of Tomorrow, there were moments of it – and Dance on the Blacktop – that did not [and still do not] jive with me all that much.  Not enough to skip tracks, but there are definitely oh yeah, this song... eh moments.  I get none of those this time around, which is great.  And the production is right where I need it.  A huge return to form from DOTB.  I still think there are some intricacies and enjoyable moments to uncover with repeated listens, but I'm pretty damn pleased with it so far.

1 hour ago, dantheriver said:

Nah not really. I have a spin clean or whatever but rarely use it. I just pump a ton of money into the hobby and then don’t even take it seriously. I’m pretty weak.

I guess I am too. Those spin cleans look sweet, but for old, dirty records I pick up, I just use dawn and water. It works well enough if the record is just slammed with dirt. 

Apparently my copy is out for delivery and is not arriving late. Pumped! 

1 minute ago, CatsNJazz said:

How do you feel about the production on this? I think it's up there with Peripheral Vision and Floral Green for Will's work

It’s good.  In a couple of posts up, I actually praised the production.  The songs have a lot more oomph than they did on DOTB and I’m a big fan of that.  I’ve stopped heckling Yip in recent years, especially after he proved himself with Caspian’s last album. I have no beef with his latest trend of production choices.

• jhulud changed the title to PO: NOTHING - The Great Dismal (10/30/2020) & The Great Dismal B-Sides 12" (10/8/21) - Up Next: Collab w/ Full of Hell 10/11 Midnight EST