PO: NOTHING - The Great Dismal (10/30/2020) & The Great Dismal B-Sides 12" (10/8/21) - Up Next: Collab w/ Full of Hell 10/11 Midnight EST

zaoza

3 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

Never really got into Nothing's other records, but this one clicked right away. I'm really enjoying this. Need to dive into the back catalogue again.

A quick opinion on Will Yip: He excels at this type of production, but he brought this style to some hardcore releases last year (Defeater and La Dispute are two that stick out to me). I really disliked the way the vocals were mixed. Two bands that rely heavily on their lyrical narratives, and you could hardly hear 'em.

With you there on that La Dispute album—I can barely hear the lyrics, really confusing why that was given the go-ahead. Ruins the album completely for me. Couldn't get through it. The same choices made on albums like this (those floaty, ethereal vocals that occasionally get lost in the noise really do a lot for me with Nothing) will let down stuff like La Dispute.

Edited by deer

21 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Surprised no one has mentioned it, but the last minute or so of April Ha Ha is so good.

Early on, back when all we had were those little Apple Music sample snippets, I guessed my favorite tracks would be April Ha Ha, Famine Asylum and Ask the Rust. I think I would only swap out Famine Asylum with In Blueberry Memories having heard the whole thing now. Ask the Rust closes out the record so perfectly, imo.

1 hour ago, NoWorthyIcons said:

Early on, back when all we had were those little Apple Music sample snippets, I guessed my favorite tracks would be April Ha Ha, Famine Asylum and Ask the Rust. I think I would only swap out Famine Asylum with In Blueberry Memories having heard the whole thing now. Ask the Rust closes out the record so perfectly, imo.

All four are my favorites. With In Blueberry Memories being the top.

1 hour ago, rlfugat said:

Yo,

Does anyone know what track they closed the livesteam set with? I'm thinking it was a b-side from this new record, but holy shit. It's so fuuuuuuuuucking good. 

Track is called “The Great Dismal” and Nothing tweeted we will hear it soon. 

59 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

If that’s a bonus track, where the hell is that title track mentioned a few posts up?  Did they save it for a b-side?

Might be on the inevitable 12" single. They did one for ToT and DotB.

https://www.discogs.com/Nothing-ACD/release/8363082

https://www.discogs.com/Nothing-Blue-Line-Baby/release/12779491

• jhulud changed the title to PO: NOTHING - The Great Dismal (10/30/2020) & The Great Dismal B-Sides 12" (10/8/21) - Up Next: Collab w/ Full of Hell 10/11 Midnight EST