[PO] The Avalanches — We Will Always Love You

angryalan

9 minutes ago, Charles Barkley said:

What’s so special about the “deluxe”?

Looks like 8 panel double gatefold vs gatefold sleeve, can't see anything else (colour variants only on deluxe?)

It also specifically lists " A SIDE / B SIDE Configuration" for the deluxe. Whatever the hell that means! 

Edited by craigeduk

WWALY has 25 tracks

https://www.amazon.com/Will-Always-Love-You-Explicit/dp/B08H21SPDB

1     Track 1     
2     Track 2     
3     We Will Always Love You [feat. Blood Orange]     2:52
4     Track 4     
5     Track 5     
6     Track 6     
7     Track 7     
8     Reflecting Light [feat. Sananda Maitreya & Vashti Bunyan] [Explicit]     4:21
9     Track 9     
10     Track 10     
11     Track 11     
12     Track 12     
13     Track 13     
14     Wherever You Go [feat. Jamie xx & Neneh Cherry & CLYPSO]     5:50
15     Music Makes Me High     3:21
16     Track 16     
17     Take Care In Your Dreaming [feat. Denzel Curry & Tricky & Sampa The Great] [Explicit]     5:00
18     Track 18     
19     Track 19     
20     Track 20     
21     Track 21     
22     Running Red Lights [feat. Rivers Cuomo & Pink Siifu]     4:39
23     Track 23     
24     Track 24     
25     Track 25

2 hours ago, craigeduk said:

Yeah Modular are now defunct (lawsuits and all sorts with the founder i think) and was subsumed in to Universal , however that happened before 2017 and the previous standard reissues, so that can't be the issue either. Maybe the remixes themselves contain troublesome samples that just can't be cleared! Whatever the issue its certainly annoying!

So that's why we can't get a Les Rythmes Digitales box-set! 😡

2 minutes ago, ethereal said:

every follow up since SILY to be SILY #2

So the 1 followup, then?

A long time had passed between SILY and Wildflower.  Of course they’re going to sound different.  Some people were on board with a lot more direct features, frontline vocals, and hip-hop aesthetic.  Others... not so much.  They lost a lot of fans and gained a lot of fans.  I’d wager to say there’s plenty of people who were won over by Wildflower without having ever heard SILY.  For them, I think this album will continue to deliver.  For me, I’m basing my early impressions off the 6 tracks (quarter of the album) available at the moment.  They feel very aligned with Wildflower which isn’t a shock.  I still prefer the sound they captured on SILY and I don’t think it’s unfair to have that opinion, while still being very aware that they’ll never sound like that again.

On 9/14/2020 at 10:49 AM, angryalan said:

A select few of those 4xLP SILY box sets were released into the wild. Some ended up on eBay. I'm pissed I missed out on snagging one.

https://www.popsike.com/The-Avalanches-Since-I-Left-You-4LP-DELUXE-VERY-RARE-COLLECTABLE-33-TRACKS/114154577294.html

Wow I’ve never seen this before. New grail!

1 minute ago, ethereal said:

They are now signed with one of the biggest major labels so I doubt they had any sample issues this time around - Modular was a much smaller entity back then which is why they had as many issues as they did - including bankruptcy.

You suspect some bigger label clout will free up all the red tape and gunk around clearing every SILY sample?  Doesn’t seem far-fetched to me.  I really hope you’re right.  What a bizarre release.

It comes down to: Are big labels big enough to deem it worth the cost of clearing a couple fairly expensive samples for the OG Aussie mix? For the Beastie Boys, Massive Attack and Chemical Brothers, the answer to clearing expensive samples has been yes.

In any case, I'm still holding on to my import CD copy until I'm absolutely sure I have that mix on vinyl. The clear blue reissue isn't it.

Edited by OneThreeOneTwo

16 minutes ago, OneThreeOneTwo said:

It comes down to: Are big labels big enough to deem it worth the cost of clearing a couple fairly expensive samples for the OG Aussie mix? For the Beastie Boys, Massive Attack and Chemical Brothers, the answer to clearing expensive samples has been yes.

In any case, I'm still holding on to my import CD copy until I'm absolutely sure I have that mix on vinyl. The clear blue reissue isn't it.

Considering this was probably manufactured at the same time as the previous 2lp versions its unlikely to contain the original mix either

13 minutes ago, OneThreeOneTwo said:

Yeah I unloaded my 2016 UK reissue for the blue pressing and I seriously regret it. Will probs switch back if I can find a store that's still selling it

2 hours ago, craigeduk said:

Considering this was probably manufactured at the same time as the previous 2lp versions its unlikely to contain the original mix either

the first version of the UK reissues has the correct mix - I have a copy. The US blue and black pressings have the samples substituted 

1 hour ago, ethereal said:

the first version of the UK reissues has the correct mix - I have a copy. The US blue and black pressings have the samples substituted 

I've got the same uk version, according to Discogs thats still not the actual full original mix though, so I guess it all depends whats considered the "original":

Sample notes:
-Uses the ORIGINAL SAMPLES version of "Frontier Psychiatrist"

FOOTNOTE
The following is true for every vinyl pressing of "Since I Left You" (except the Rex Records test pressing):
"Since I Left You" and "Live At Dominoes" do not contain the "younger than springtime" sample from Rodgers/Hammerstein.
"Summer Crane" and "Extra Kings" do not contain the flute sample from War's "H2Overture"
"Radio" does not contain the "Johnny!" dialogue at the beginning
"Diners Only" does not contain the "good evening gentlemen" dialogue at the beginning

23 hours ago, ethereal said:

It will most likely be released for the true 20th anniversary - in a month or two 

Sure hope so!

Re the samples: the XL repress (included the color version) are prob the best available right now aside from the test press. Sure it's missing some of the samples of the original mix (same on Spotify or anywhere else really unless you find a download or whatever), but at least the Frontier samples are the originals. Also a solid pressing dynamically.

• 2 months later...