PO: PUP - This Place Sucks Ass (10/23/2020)

4 hours ago, Captainricebox said:

I also went with the Banquet version. I'm assuming there's no pressing info on the picture disk? 

It seems like the picture disc is the "standard" NA variant of this. It's the cheapest, it's featured in the Rot video, it's the only one being sold by both US and Canadian retailers as far as I can tell. I'm guessing there's a fair amount of these.

10 hours ago, OneThreeOneTwo said:

White dudes from Canada can't be political?

What's going on in Canada? I don't pay attention to political dissonance in other countries besides my own. Thought it was all sunshine and maple farts over there. 

5 hours ago, lostcrimes said:

Jealous?

God no lol

18 minutes ago, lostcrimes said:

Why are you racist towards Canadians?

Canadian isn't a race, 'buddy' lol

Look, before everyone gets all up in arms over nothing I just think it's kinda weird a band who can't even vote in our country would use a comment like that to hype a new record. Seems opportunistic and tone deaf given our current hostile climate, but whatever, PUP is a fine band and I'm sure this EP is going to be good. No reason to get all bent out of shape over my dumbass comment lol

"These songs aren't political"

"No, no they aren't... But you could imagine what it'd be like if they were though, right?"

11677830-4c5b-11ea-bfee-860985aa83ce.jpg

3 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Canadian isn't a race, 'buddy' lol

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 0.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement: 0:15

Look, before everyone gets all up in arms over nothing I just think it's kinda weird a band who can't even vote in our country would use a comment like that to hype a new record. Seems opportunistic and tone deaf given our current hostile climate, but whatever, PUP is a fine band and I'm sure this EP is going to be good. No reason to get all bent out of shape over my dumbass comment lol

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 0.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement

"These songs aren't political"

"No, no they aren't... But you could imagine what it'd be like if they were though, right?"

11677830-4c5b-11ea-bfee-860985aa83ce.jpg

Canadians are a race. The master race.

1. A person can be racist against ethnicities, be less of a literalist dumb-dumb about categories like racist. If I started talking in some throat-partched yokel accent and interspersed "yee haw!" that would be offensive in a racist manner against Americans with an obvious stereotyped version of a vague southern drawl by accenting the aspects that make it different than the Queen's English.

2. How is it "opportunistic"? A band can't reflect the world they live in any more??? I can't understand your standpoint. Can you even think it might have to do with stuff going on in Canada? No, I forgot: The USA is the centre of the fucking universe, so that you *automatically* assume a Canadian band is only referring to what's happening in the USA.  Get over yourself, Yankee-doodle (and if you find it triggering for me to label you that, go back to 1).

Edited by OneThreeOneTwo

3. Canadians can't worry about what happens in the USA, regardless? We're only deeply economically-tied to one another and have been since before Independence. Just because you have no clue whatsoever what's happening up here doesn't mean we don't need to track what's happening to your country.

18 minutes ago, OneThreeOneTwo said:

3. Canadians can't worry about what happens in the USA, regardless? We're only deeply economically-tied to one another and have been since before Independence. Just because you have no clue whatsoever what's happening up here doesn't mean we don't need to track what's happening to your country.

Somebody is moody today, unless this is that patented pearl clutching I hear so much about. 

I literally asked what was going on in Canada in my initial reply and got no response lol. Also do the hillbilly accent all you want, I'm " L A T I N X " it's funny to me😘

20 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Somebody is moody today, unless this is that patented pearl clutching I hear so much about. 

I literally asked what was going on in Canada in my initial reply and got no response lol. Also do the hillbilly accent all you want, I'm " L A T I N X " it's funny to me😘

The person you're talking to has "all cops are bastards" as their username. They do not want any sort of meaningful discourse, they just want to yell their opinion as loudly as possible.

4 hours ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

The person you're talking to has "all cops are bastards" as their username. They do not want any sort of meaningful discourse, they just want to yell their opinion as loudly as possible.

How's the boot taste this afternoon? Solid flavor, nice vintage?

3 hours ago, obliriovrons said:

How's the boot taste this afternoon? Solid flavor, nice vintage?

Sure, supporting police reform but not calling all cops bastards makes me a bootlicker. Makes tons of sense. Terrible things have happened and any cops who committed crimes should be prosecuted like anyone else.

Riots with no one coming to the table to talk about the issue at hand and make change doesn't do anything.

Talking to community leaders and pressing the government for change must not be as cool as changing your username to ACAB though, and chanting ACAB through the streets probably really makes people want to get on board with your cause...

10 hours ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

So do all cop-lovers forget the topic of the debate they reply in, or is it just you? Just to refresh, the claim being made is that when a Canadian band claims that their new songs are a bit more political, and mentions the current era as an explanation for why that is, they're wrong to do that. Because somehow America is none of their business, assuming US-centrism on their behalf even though the assumption itself is US-centric.

I'm pushing back against that and that's not meaningful discourse? Is your vision one where the side you agree with says its piece and the side you don't capitulates?

Edited by OneThreeOneTwo

1 hour ago, OneThreeOneTwo said:

So do all cop-lovers forget the topic of the debate they reply in, or is it just you? Just to refresh, the claim being made is that when a Canadian band claims that their new songs are a bit more political, and mentions the current era as an explanation for why that is, they're wrong to do that. Because somehow America is none of their business, assuming US-centrism on their behalf even though the assumption itself is US-centric.

I'm pushing back against that and that's not meaningful discourse? Is your vision one where the side you agree with says its piece and the side you don't capitulates?

In case you missed my reply to the last person -

4 hours ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Sure, supporting police reform but not calling all cops bastards makes me a bootlicker. Makes tons of sense. Terrible things have happened and any cops who committed crimes should be prosecuted like anyone else.

Riots with no one coming to the table to talk about the issue at hand and make change doesn't do anything.

Talking to community leaders and pressing the government for change must not be as cool as changing your username to ACAB though, and chanting ACAB through the streets probably really makes people want to get on board with your cause...

I can see where Rambo was coming from, and I understand your point as well. I live in an area that has been hard hit with riots over all this, so it's a bit of a sore spot for me. Apologies if I offended you, I should have checked myself and read more carefully before jumping straight in, the ACAB stuff bothers me because I've seen some crazy shit lately with my own eyes in regards to the riots here in the US.

That said - I don't think it's appropriate to label an entire group as bastards based on the actions of so few.

I support police reform, as I stated above. But I also value people, even if they're cops, and I think shouting ACAB from the streets (or the internet in this case) detracts from any argument you make.  Demonizing an entire group because some of them did terrible things is going to set back an entire movement by alienating people who support police reform, but who also think of police as people or possibly even have loved ones who are cops that treat all people regardless of race, religion, etc. with respect and stand up when they see something wrong happening.

You can literally choose any group of people in history and demonize them due to the behavior of a few, so why even bring ACAB into the mix at all and destroy your message for so many people who might actually listen to you if you weren't out there calling people bastards?

If people want to actually talk about police reforms and not just yell about how how they hate cops, or cops should all kill themselves or quit their jobs, I'm open to it. Whether it's a Canadian band, you, or whoever, I don't care.

TLDR - I jumped in too quick just kind of skimming things, but I still think your username is detracting from your message.

Edited by MachoHommeRandallSauvage
missed an o.

11 hours ago, OneThreeOneTwo said:

OK, Karen. 

This is the last thing I'm gonna say about this shit because it's stupid as hell anyways 😂 

I wasn't being nationalist, I treat other people/nations the way I want to be treated; I leave them the fuck alone. That wack ass hype tag line is 100% trying to piggy back off the emotions of people here in the US, PUP knows where their bread gets butter and it ain't from Canadians lol. To pretend otherwise is a lie and you know it. Who in all the fucks would promote a release by saying, "While most of our songs are not overtly political, it’s a song that sonically captures our current emotional states" if they weren't? These fools are saying the guitars have ACAB tones with UBI production? The drums mix is eating the rich?  They're selling you product, this is just capitalism/marketing 😂😂😂

I digress, collectivism is bullshit (ironic to say on the Vinyl Collective), this type of mentality is why the cops operate like a gang with a hall pass. I don't subscribe to any of that nonsense, and y'alls white fragility aside, I'm gonna point out and laugh at the goofy shit the status quo (especially within music) says and does because it's cringe and hilarious.

Oh, and one more thing...

https://i.postimg.cc/nh9P26pV/tenor-1.gif

11 hours ago, Oblivions said:

It’s been a while since an innocent and naive human joined the forum and asked for help with their vinyl-related college paper and/or vinyl-related product idea. There’s a build up of unused online angst and we’re all feeling it.

As i said in another thread reddit is just one click away.