PO: Smashing Pumpkins - CYR

I'm actually happy that this is clearly not going to be a throwback record, and I'm also quite fond of theFutureEmbrace. I think I'm mostly just puzzled by the choices being made in the tracks I've heard so far. I was hoping the synthier songs would be placed on the album as a counterpoint to something showcasing the drumming and multiple guitarists in the band, but based on what's been released that probably won't be the case. I don't hate any of the songs, they just seem to be much more fitting for another BC solo album. Either way I'm looking forward to hearing the whole thing.

1 hour ago, bjorn said:

I'm actually happy that this is clearly not going to be a throwback record, and I'm also quite fond of theFutureEmbrace. I think I'm mostly just puzzled by the choices being made in the tracks I've heard so far. I was hoping the synthier songs would be placed on the album as a counterpoint to something showcasing the drumming and multiple guitarists in the band, but based on what's been released that probably won't be the case. I don't hate any of the songs, they just seem to be much more fitting for another BC solo album. Either way I'm looking forward to hearing the whole thing.

I'm not looking for a throwback record. I just want good songs. I loved the evolution to Adore and Machina. Songs like Eye are great too. These songs don't hold up as songs. Not even thinking in terms of synth or throwback.

Edited by deftbarley

I’ve loved the Smashing Pumpkins for a long, long time. If I absolutely had to say, I guess they’re my favorite band and have been for 26 years. I’ve been very optimistic with all of their recent releases and have found some good in all of them. I thought Silvery Sometimes off Shiny and Oh So Bright was pretty good and a couple others weren’t bad. I also listened to Oceania again for the first time in years and enjoyed that and will have to spin Monuments as well, but the 4 songs they’ve released for this new record have been a big bummer for me. I completely agree with everyone’s confusion on such a synth heavy sound with 3 guitars and programmed drums when Jimmy fucking Chamberlain is in your band. I’ll give it a chance, but so far The Colour of Love is just palatable.  The others Ill do without. Hopefully we’ll get some rockers. 

Edited by derek123

2 minutes ago, derek123 said:

I’ve loved the Smashing Pumpkins for a long, long time. If I absolutely had to say, I guess they’re my favorite band and have been for 26 years. I’ve been very optimistic with all of their recent releases and have found some good in all of them. I thought Silvery Sometimes off Shiny and Oh So Bright was pretty good and a couple others weren’t bad. I also listened to Oceania again for the first time in years and enjoyed that and will have to spin Monuments as well, but the 4 songs they’ve released for this new record have been a big bummer for me. I completely agree with everyone’s confusion on such a synth heavy sound with 3 guitars and programmed drums when Jimmy fucking Chamberlain is in your band. I’ll give it a chance, but so far The Colour of Love is just palatable.  The others Ill do without. Hopefully we’ll get some rockers. 

Totally agree.  My all time favorite band and Billy is my favorite songwriter ever.  But these new songs fucking suck.  I'll keep giving them chances, and I still pre-ordered the record, but goddamn, I'm bummed.

48 minutes ago, skidroje said:

Totally agree.  My all time favorite band and Billy is my favorite songwriter ever.  But these new songs fucking suck.  I'll keep giving them chances, and I still pre-ordered the record, but goddamn, I'm bummed.

Yep. Especially from a band that used to have b-sides better than their peers' albums.

I feel like LP1 of this record will be all synth driven.  There might be some acoustic-laden tracks with electro elements similar to Adore throughout it, but I think this is the vibe for the first half of the record.

I’m hoping LP2 is going to get darker and heavier, maybe something like the love Adore stuff.

I think the biggest issue I have with these new songs, and BC in general, is how wordy every song is.  There are so many words in each verse and chorus, so much that there aren’t even hooks anymore.  There’s no room for anything because BC won’t shut up.  And that wouldn’t be so terrible if the words weren’t so empty and goddamn pretentious.  It’s like a know-it-all is trying to flex their vocabulary over a melody.

This is coming from a lifelong SP fan, like legit my favorite all-time band and guitarist and drummer.  I have an old Strat, had a Marshall 800, buncha Big Muffs, etc...  

And still, I’m gonna be hopeful, wait for each release, and buy at least one copy.  

Wow, interesting. I can relate strongly to lots of these comments. SP is also still my favorite band... somehow. I think the magic they've been able to create has nothing to do with how heavy they were or how many guitars you could hear, but everything to do with this idea of endless creativity they were able to evoke. The heavy songs were amazing partly because they could be bookended with something completely different and the whole thing just worked in this beautifully weird way. The dynamic between this maniacal vocalist/guitarist and this titan of a drummer is just the most fascinating single ingredient they had at their disposal, and that seems to be nonexistent now. But, I think that feeling of experiencing such a spectrum of ideas from a band, and Mellon Collie is of course the ultimate example of this, is what I miss the most. No band since has offered anything close, partly because no one has had the gall to try to throw so many ideas together. Instead we've really only had bands obsessed with finding a niche or developing a formula. And now SP just sounds more like one of them.

12 minutes ago, kramer73 said:

I posted this elsewhere, but this week Billy posted, not everything on Siamese Dream sounds like Disarm.  We still have 16 tracks we haven't heard yet.

I saw him post that on Instagram.  I agree and am in the wait and see camp as far as what the overall record has in store.  I don’t think the entire thing will sound like the first 4 songs released.

10 hours ago, highfives said:

I saw him post that on Instagram.  I agree and am in the wait and see camp as far as what the overall record has in store.  I don’t think the entire thing will sound like the first 4 songs released.

I'm not concerned with what the songs sound like. I want good songs. Disarm is a good song, Rocket is a good song. To Sheila is a good song. I don't want songs just like those or an album of songs that sound the same. I want good songs.

Edited by deftbarley

• 2 weeks later...

With the two new songs released last night, I realized we've only heard tracks from the first disc. I wonder if side C/D is a different vibe. I'm really digging the TFE sound so far. The two songs released last night might be my favorite yet, but maybe because they're the freshest. 

Released songs in bold

01 “The Colour Of Love”
02 “Confessions Of A Dopamine Addict”
03 “Cyr”
04 “Dulcet In E”
05 “Wrath”
06 “Ramona”
07 “Anno Satana”
08 “Birch Grove”

09 “Wyttch”

10 “Starrcraft”
11 “Purple Blood”
12 “Save Your Tears”
13 “Telegenix”
14 “Black Forest, Black Hills”
15 “Adrennalynne”
16 “Haunted”
17 “The Hidden Sun”
18 “Schaudenfreud”
19 “Tyger, Tyger”
20 “Minerva”

Edited by dreamover

On 10/10/2020 at 2:43 AM, dreamover said:

With the two new songs released last night, I realized we've only heard tracks from the first disc. I wonder if side C/D is a different vibe. I'm really digging the TFE sound so far. The two songs released last night might be my favorite yet, but maybe because they're the freshest. 

I definitely would be happy enough if this is the style of the entire double album. Hearing "Colour of Love" the first time gave me something I genuinely haven't felt since Machina. The subsequent releases haven't hit that height for me, but they're all infinitely better than anything on SaOSB.

• 2 weeks later...

I’d put off ordering this so far, but finally decided I was going to give in and pull the trigger, but it looks like they’ve pulled everything from their official site. 

Oh well, I’ll just pick up a copy locally once it comes out. I’ve really like all of the songs they’ve released so far. 

I don't mind the synthier direction of this new stuff. However what is starting to drive me nuts is the way he pinches off a vowel in almost every word, anyone else notice that? Started doing it a ton I think in Monuments or Oceania... For example, confessions of a dopamine addict chorus - "Caanyou f-lll the same". The airflow completely stops right in the middle rather than having a nice glossy singsongy sound. I don't get it... If he's trying to give his vocals flavor it sounds to me more like he's singing while taking a sturdy poo.

1 hour ago, achillesstand7 said:

I’d put off ordering this so far, but finally decided I was going to give in and pull the trigger, but it looks like they’ve pulled everything from their official site. 

Oh well, I’ll just pick up a copy locally once it comes out. I’ve really like all of the songs they’ve released so far. 

It's still up there they just rearranged everything and made it harder to find (probably not by design but nothing Billy does has to be easy, does it?):

https://store.smashingpumpkins.com/music.html

On 10/23/2020 at 11:43 AM, pepperonigin said:

It's still up there they just rearranged everything and made it harder to find (probably not by design but nothing Billy does has to be easy, does it?):

https://store.smashingpumpkins.com/music.html

It does look like the deluxe box is off the site.  I have a feeling those are going to come in autographed by the band, but I could be wrong.

Edit:  nevermind, it's back on there.

Edited by highfives

• 8 months later...