PO - Coheed & Cambria - The Second Stage Turbine Blade (Rollin Records Bootleg)

Got my record today. Looks amazing. Can’t even tell it’s a boot. 
I’m currently on side B right now... so far, Everything Evil sounded real fuzzy. I assume it’s because it’s the last song on side A. The next thing that I noticed was on the first song of side B, Delerium Trigger, when it gets to the part where Claudio says “it’s coming up and out of your chest. Remember when we were young?”

my copy goes “it’s coming up and out of your chest. Remember when... *skip* ...est. Remember when we were young?” Hopefully I explained it well. It’s not a skip. It’s the music. 

I’ll keep listening to see if I notice anything else. 

I got mine in today as well. This thing was packed like a pro and even sent in a Frustration Free mailer. This thing came in immaculate shape. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but it looks like there is two different color combos out there for it. Looks like one set are both the Lime Green color and the ones I got are Clear Lime Green With Dark Green Swirl And Clear Dark Green With Black Swirl. Would have preferred both the same color but not that big of a deal. Pretty nice package for being an unofficial release.

1 hour ago, Kjm23 said:

I got mine in today as well. This thing was packed like a pro and even sent in a Frustration Free mailer. This thing came in immaculate shape. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but it looks like there is two different color combos out there for it. Looks like one set are both the Lime Green color and the ones I got are Clear Lime Green With Dark Green Swirl And Clear Dark Green With Black Swirl. Would have preferred both the same color but not that big of a deal. Pretty nice package for being an unofficial release.

Both of mine are light green but lp1 has a little bit of a light swirl to it. I didn’t notice any other issues after listening to the whole thing. The inner tracks on both LPs sound like shit. 

5 minutes ago, Scruffy...the janitor said:

Before I dive in, I wanna hear from someone else about the weird skipping and other issues.

Doesn’t really matter. Actually gives it a little more “Swap Meet Mix Tape” charm. But curious.

47 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Before I dive in, I wanna hear from someone else about the weird skipping and other issues.

Doesn’t really matter. Actually gives it a little more “Swap Meet Mix Tape” charm. But curious.

Same as the last guy, kind of fuzzy, weird backtrack on Delerium Trigger. It's actually super frustrating.

If I wanted "swapmeet mixtape charm" I'd have just made a mixtape, not paid $40 for defective product. 😒

4 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Same as the last guy, kind of fuzzy, weird backtrack on Delerium Trigger. It's actually super frustrating.

If I wanted "swapmeet mixtape charm" I'd have just made a mixtape, not paid $40 for defective product. 😒

I mean, you do realize you are/were buying a bootleg, right? 

And, you know, I wasn't referring to an actual cassette with a mixture of artists. Have you never bought a mixtape/boot from the swap meet or indoor bazaar? 

Damn.  It’s almost like bootlegs are synonymous with inferior quality or something. 🤔

I’m just being shitty, relax.  I understand that boots can sound great and can contain zero skips or distortion.  But generally speaking, I would call that “lucky” and wouldn’t expect an incredible press from them.  Which sucks, because as Randy pointed out, this thing was $40.  If you’re dropping $40 on anything, it should hopefully play start to finish without any noticeable distortion or recording skips.  For a bootleg I think the MSRP was pretty high to begin with but maybe that’s an argument for another time.

Totally, I get it. Not that the price is too too high, from what I've seen 2xLP boots go for(ala Kanye, Frank Ocean, blah de blee), but it does suck when it's this cherished of an album and something like that happens. "You'd" be understandably bummed. Thank you @MachoHommeRandallSauvage for clearing it up and answering my question.

But, yes, it is a bootleg and somethings are to be, not necessarily expected, but to be accepted. That's why I brought up the Swap Meet Mixtapes. The shit I've bought over the years that's garbage. REAL shitty bootleg of Stankiona in 2000 months before it came out. Mixtapes, before the internet was really a thing, were almost all crap. But you'd pay $20 to have a CD before anyone else, or to have that crazy C Murder shit no one else in High School had, unless you knew. I wasn't bummed, because I knew what I was getting myself into, and that's the charm. It was really more of a joke than anything, but it does, sort of, pertain to the topic of bootleg vinyl and quality and what's expected of it. 

Edited by MyEnemy

2 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Totally, I get it. Not that the price is too too high, from what I've seen 2xLP boots go for(ala Kanye, Frank Ocean, blah de blee), but it does suck when it's this cherished of an album and something like that happens. "You'd" be understandably bummed. Thank you for clearing it up and answering my question. 

But, yes, it is a bootleg and somethings are to be, not necessarily expected, but to be accepted. That's why I brought up the Swap Meet Mixtapes. The shit I've bought over the years that's garbage. REAL shitty bootleg of Stankiona in 2000 months before it came out. Mixtapes, before the internet was really a thing, were almost all crap. But you'd pay $20 to have a CD before anyone else, or to have that crazy C Murder shit no one else in High School had, unless you knew. I wasn't bummed, because I knew what I was getting myself into, and that's the charm. It was really more of a joke than anything, but it does, sort of, pertain to the topic of bootleg vinyl and quality and what's expected of it. 

As a heads-up, you snuck your reply in < 1 minute before mine.  My post above wasn't directed at you – or anyone, specifically – but just an observation that it sounds like you're on the same page with, either way.  I also didn't provide any answers or clarification, if you're still waiting on some.  I didn't buy this bootleg, and I own 0 bootlegs, so I'm just chiming in 2¢ that no one wants, per usual.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

As a heads-up, you snuck your reply in < 1 minute before mine.  My post above wasn't directed at you – or anyone, specifically – but just an observation that it sounds like you're on the same page with, either way.  I also didn't provide any answers or clarification, if you're still waiting on some.  I didn't buy this bootleg, and I own 0 bootlegs, so I'm just chiming in 2¢ that no one wants, per usual.

Sorry that was a little confusing, on my part. Having two conversations in one paragraph. Forgot to tag Randy, when I initially posted, but edited it. He answered the question I asked earlier today. Anyways, I'm still on the fence, as something like that probably wouldn't bother me. I just don't need to spend $50 on this right now. 

Same, no one cares what I have to say. 

For sure I expected inferior quality overall, but this is the first time I've ever had an egregious error like backtracking that actually messes up the flow of a song on a counterfeit record. @MyEnemy

In the grand scheme of things, sure it isn't a huge deal, just a bummer.

2 hours ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Aw, man. I'm pretty bummed now. Sorry yours is "meh". Did you contact Rollin and see if you can get a replacement hoping that it's a noisey copy?

1 hour ago, tetsuodaironman said:

I’d trade someone for one of these low quality boots. Slide in my DMs...

Actually... Would much rather trade than pay the $50.

If there are two people bummed enough of these, hit me up too.

Edited by MyEnemy

Bootlegs are supposed to sound like shit thats why the term "bootleg" is synonymous with "inferior". I remember 3 years ago back before the hobby was ruined by people that need to have something pressed no matter the cost or quality bootlegs were CHEAPER than regular pressings.... because they were accepted to sound like shit. Y'all dug this hole lol 

Edit: some proof im not crazy

Screenshot-20200929-212149-Gmail.jpg

Edited by Shelby American

I could be wrong as I haven't looked at sites like Vinyl Digital in awhile but I think most bootlegs are still fairly cheap to buy (around $20.00). The problem is finding those sites that are overseas that have these in stock and the cost of shipping to the states keeps most of these boots around the $40.00+ mark. I am assuming these U.S. sites are paying close to that number (unless they're getting a nice discount in price and shipping by buying in bulk) and only making $8.00-$10.00 per record in markup. That $8.00-$10.00 markup is almost a convenience fee for not having to hunt these down or worry about the terrible international packing and shipping.

Edited by Kjm23

55 minutes ago, superpeephole said:

I finally got my copy in. One LP is transparent green and the other is black... 

Hold the Black one up to the light and I bet it’s the Clear Dark Green with Black Swirl. Mine looked Black coming out of the Inner Sleeve but it was definitely Clear Dark Green.

2 hours ago, superpeephole said:

You're right! This is like the opposite of glow in the dark haha.

Mine is opaque neon green and LP2 is that same black/ green. 

Honestly, so far, other than that aforementioned backtracking thing, it's not bad. It definitely a 2005-CD-sourced copy, and BY FAR, the worst boot I've heard (out of like 5!!), but it's gonna be SOME collectible 🙄