Spiritbox Thread: PO Now Eternal Blue

1 hour ago, V3XED said:

I feel you m8.   I mean the band said they wanted to move away from being Tesseract 2.0 after their first EP. (which I absolutely loved)

But if their singles collection proved anything its that they can nail a ton of different sounds.

So heres to hoping these aren't all just dead simple radio song structure tracks!

Yeah I'm hoping these two singles are just to grab attention. They're both actually really solid, just hope some of the songs are in a more interesting direction. 

1 hour ago, daegor said:

Love the two new singles.  Spiritbox has been really clear that Rise has not interfered and that they wouldn't allow it anyway.

I feel like being signed to a label has to limit your artistic freedom to a certain extent. While yes, Rise may not have interfered in their sound, being on a label must set a certain level of expectation that you will be popular. Which in turn leads bands to "dumb" down their sound to better appeal to a wider audience. While it seems like Spiritbox can pull off a variety of different sounds, I have a feeling a good half of the album, if not more, will be more in line with these two latest singles than anything they have put out previously. 

Edited by dapeebs

1 minute ago, dapeebs said:

Yeah I'm hoping these two singles are just to grab attention. They're both actually really solid, just hope some of the songs are in a more interesting direction. 

I feel like being signed to a label has to limit your artistic freedom to a certain extent. While yes, Rise may not have interfered in their sound, being on a label must set a certain level of expectation that you will be popular. Which in turn leads bands to "dumb" down their sound to better appeal to a wider audience. While it seems like Spiritbox can pull off a variety of different sounds, I have a feeling a good half of the album, if not more, will be more in line with these two latest singles than anything they have put out previously. 

Man, I got to say I like the last two a lot more than song like Holy Roller, haha.

Haven't heard anything "dumbed down" from them yet.  If they wanted to just rake in fans they'd keep making Holy Rollers, that was by far their most popular song to date.

53 minutes ago, dapeebs said:

42 minutes ago, daegor said:

Man, I got to say I like the last two a lot more than song like Holy Roller, haha.

Haven't heard anything "dumbed down" from them yet.  If they wanted to just rake in fans they'd keep making Holy Rollers, that was by far their most popular song to date.

I mean if were going to kill some time and wildly speculate... here is my guess.

To me the sort of 'label shenanigans' are clearly at play here... in the following ways

- Holy Roller getting that sort of wack 'remix' and new music video version with Ryo Kinoshita.   Weird grab for crossover appeal .

- The super generic (but expensive looking) music video for 'circle with me' .  Just seems very try hard on 'cool guy vibes' instead of the super thought provoking and artistic video style they have used in all their past videos. 

- All their new band photos where they are once again 'cool guy vibing' and wearing all matching black outfits. Just doesn't seem to align or gel with their previous aesthetic.   

AKA, just marketing stuff.  Which is probably really good for them as a band.

AND.... if they as a band didn't want to actively try and grow their audience and appeal they probably wouldn't have signed with rise records in the first place.  That is a tacitical move by the band for sure.

What band wouldn't want to grow their audience, explore new sounds, and get popular? 
Especially when they can so easily write and crush in a bunch of different niche's and styles. 

So my guess is those 'radio' tracks are very much songs the band wanted to write, not label influence. 

(woo speculation)

I mean, I loved the Ryo remix, haha.

But something to consider is that the vast majority of the songs you've heard since signing were written BEFORE signing.  IIRC the only thing written since singing (that we've heard so far) is Circle With Me, and they said even then some of the riffs were written beforehand.

This is always what the band wanted to do.

9 hours ago, cautionthieves said:

Nabbed the three band exclusives when they first went live this morning. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

Gotta say, I feel like the blue smoke/cloud/galaxy variants might end up looking fairly similar.

Yeah and they added the smoke after the galaxy was sold out.... yawn.

I mean really though all of these are 'matchy matchy' variants so its hard to complain.

Will be interested to see how the impericon one comes out, looks almost like a 'ghostly' type.

Also just WOW at these numbers.

Their self titled EP got one run of 500 copies.
Some quick mental math is saying this is close to 12,000 total!

(webstore now shows the 'retail' at x/6000)

Edited by V3XED

• 1 month later...