I bought 2,000 records when I was 18 for 40$ , My vinyl journey

36 minutes ago, maximuss said:

Nice store,  thanks for sharing. If i read some of the reactions here i understatement why Trump and biden talk like that. So unfriendly. Must be american. Happy i live in my little Holland...

National prejudice aside, I have to agree. Some of you are so negative. Guy comes on to a vinyl collective board with an enthusiastic story about collecting and gets railed.

To the OP - care to share any of the favorites that you found? Also curious of any real gems (monetary value) you may have scored.

58 minutes ago, Daiei said:

Some of you are so negative.

Come on, man.  You have 1,000+ posts.  This should be no real surprise.  I can understand why the snowflake in Holland is a little shook, but nothing in this thread has been overly "toxic" or abrasive so far.  Most of the negative replies have just critiqued OP for failing to utilize paragraphs... because, yeah, at first glance that initial post really is as dense as 2 Kallax shelves stuffed with 50¢ thrift store records.  Others were questioning the validity of the story based off time constraints.  Maybe I'm desensitized to the negativity... but I'm not exactly seeing the problem, I guess?

It's not like anyone told OP to fuck off and come back when he's got some rare variants or essential VC-core albums.  No one is discrediting their interest in vinyl.  It's no exaggeration that a lot of this board is negative, but it can also be said that a part of this community is just so... soft.  I'd get it if it were members with < 20 posts, or members who checked in once a year.  But anyone with 200+ posts, who use the forums with any sort of frequency, and still find themselves taken aback with how "nasty" people are being in this thread?  You lost me.  Straight up.

I wasn't going to chime into this topic but I've made it this far, and I'll say this much: I was expecting a little more from OP's post.  Was anyone else?  The thread title explicitly suggests that there is a vinyl journey within.  And most all journeys are a work in progress – I know this – but I guess I was anticipating a little more from that wall of text.  If there was anything worth listening to in that pile of records that was scored, and it was more than 2-3 albums, then $40 is a pretty great deal.  Was it a catalyst to explore those genres further?  Did OP start tracking down other albums by the artists he was impressed by?  What were the "gems" in the collection that were mentioned?  Did OP invest in a quality audio setup to enjoy and explore the records?  Roughly what % of the records has OP managed to listen to?  Was OP working on organizing / cataloging the collection somewhere, like Discogs, before it was put in storage?  Or will it just remain a nebulous hodgepodge of bargain bin 60s jazz?  There are so many questions worth asking and discussing, but none of it's addressed, and it ultimately just ends up feeling like a quantity flex.  There.  I said it.  I'm not definitively assuming that's what OP is going for.  But in that first post, a lot of OP's purchases of discounted vinyl were based solely on the cover art – nothing wrong with that if you're doing some exploration – and it seems like there was quite a bit of excitement at just the idea of buying 1,600+ records, regardless of what they were or could be.  That's what I interpreted from the story shared, and the way it was written.  After 11 years of accumulating vinyl, I know I don't have 2,000 pieces in my own collection.  And as a quality > quantity guy, that's just not a priority of mine.  To each their own, but it's not something I get, for me.  I can't speak for everyone else but I thoroughly enjoy tidying up the collection and pruning it down to albums I consider relevant or worthwhile for my current tastes.  I strive to keep the stray junk from accumulating here and there – I couldn't fathom staring at a full 4x4 shelf of it.

It's fine if you're all about oldies, exploring music before your time, or insisting that you were born in the wrong generation.  OP is young and I'm not trying to knock his or her tastes.  But I was hoping that there was just more to this journey.  Especially since this "haul" was scored 6 years ago.  So much of the hobby™ for me, over the last decade, hasn't been just about accruing records to stick on a shelf.  It's been sharing hype for upcoming albums with friends and members of the board.  Scrambling when surprise pre-orders drop out of the blue.  Meticulously refreshing for limited drops.  Finally tracking down a white whale on Discogs, or finding a killer deal on an album you were "late to the party" with, hoping to obtain at a fair price.  There are so many facets to it, for me.  If OP is interested in them, I wish him or her the best luck in getting to experience all of those.  But as it stands, this thread is basically "hey I bought a metric shit ton of records for cheap on Craigslist.  I found some stuff in there I like.  But most of it's in storage and one day I'll get around to digging further into it.  Pretty cool eh?"  You can tell me I'm wrong, or critique me for being overly negative if you'd like.  But that's what I walked away with, from this thread (so far).

Edited by Derek™

Just now, Sad Heart said:

I just assumed he was lying. Just some Reddit type shit spilling over into VC. 

What a weird (and boring) thing to lie about, though.  Spice it up with some valuables – pitch me a “yeah and I added it all up on Discogs and it’s worth $200k, I guess there’s some real rare stuff in there.”  It’s like bragging about buying 4 busted sofas on Craigslist for $20 total; you either ham it up and exaggerate it into the deal of a lifetime, or you’re just stuck telling us about how you got conned into paying someone else to haul away their junk.

Just now, Derek™ said:

What a weird (and boring) thing to lie about, though.  Spice it up with some valuables – pitch me a “yeah and I added it all up on Discogs and it’s worth $200k, I guess there’s some real rare stuff in there.”  It’s like bragging about buying 4 busted sofas on Craigslist for $20 total; you either ham it up and exaggerate it into the deal of a lifetime, or you’re just stuck telling us about how you got conned into paying someone else to haul away their junk.

Man, people on Reddit lie about the most boring shit. Where they live, their profession, their relationship status, etc. The boring lies tend to be the easiest to set off the detector. 

I feel like it could have been a genuine story if he gave actual details. Like you said he used the word “journey” and I felt like we got the cliff notes. Why post on a vinyl forum and not even list any details about the records, cause it’s a lie. Like the liars of Reddit, they just need attention. 

6 minutes ago, Sad Heart said:

Man, people on Reddit lie about the most boring shit. Where they live, their profession, their relationship status, etc. The boring lies tend to be the easiest to set off the detector. 

I feel like it could have been a genuine story if he gave actual details. Like you said he used the word “journey” and I felt like we got the cliff notes. Why post on a vinyl forum and not even list any details about the records, cause it’s a lie. Like the liars of Reddit, they just need attention. 

I think you’re being really negative right now.  It’s no wonder Trump was elected as your president.