PO - Green Day - Insomniac 25th Anniversary 2LP

I remember being like 11 and walking into the Wherehouse having no idea Green Day had a new album and seeing a giant cardboard display for Insomniac. I thought it was an old album I hadn’t heard like Kerplunk, which I had bought a week earlier at K-Mart, so I grabbed a tape copy and listened to it for a few days before I finally saw Geek Stink Breath on MTV and realized it was new. It’s been my favorite of theirs, by far, since the moment I first heard it. Sad that I’ll never have that experience again of walking into a shop and seeing a brand new record/tape of my favorite band that I had no idea was released.

Edited by Oblivions

Yeah this one is tied to a lot of memories.  

in my highschool gym they were taking a break from rehearsing for a Christmas show.  I saw a piano, a half-stack amp and a guitar.   Not sure why there was a distortion pedal on the floor for a Christmas show but on a dare i turned the amp on and got halfway through Jaded before some teacher came in running. ...so about 60 seconds but man the acoustics sounded like i was playing a stadium 

Edited by bear801

Question for our collective consciousnesses...there was a TV doc show on either MTV or VH1 maybe 10+ years ago (OR it could have been a well produced video on YouTube within the last 10 years?) where they talked about Green Day and the talking head (who was either a magazine writer or possibly someone from LookOut records?) was throwing some shade at Insomniac and said something like “Green Day wanted to prove they were still punk after Dookie so they released an angry, mean album and I was like ‘Where is this coming from? Your band was never this hard/loud.’”

I figure if I only get one chance in my life to finally remember where this was from, it’s this thread.

38 minutes ago, Oblivions said:

Question for our collective consciousnesses...there was a TV doc show on either MTV or VH1 maybe 10+ years ago (OR it could have been a well produced video on YouTube within the last 10 years?) where they talked about Green Day and the talking head (who was either a magazine writer or possibly someone from LookOut records?) was throwing some shade at Insomniac and said something like “Green Day wanted to prove they were still punk after Dookie so they released an angry, mean album and I was like ‘Where is this coming from? Your band was never this hard/loud.’”

I figure if I only get one chance in my life to finally remember where this was from, it’s this thread.

Maybe the VH1 Behind the Music? That was released around 2000 when Warning came out I believe. 

23 hours ago, Oblivions said:

I’m not positive but it might be the documentary “one nine nine four”

On 10/9/2020 at 7:55 PM, Oblivions said:

I remember being like 11 and walking into the Wherehouse having no idea Green Day had a new album and seeing a giant cardboard display for Insomniac. I thought it was an old album I hadn’t heard like Kerplunk, which I had bought a week earlier at K-Mart, so I grabbed a tape copy and listened to it for a few days before I finally saw Geek Stink Breath on MTV and realized it was new. It’s been my favorite of theirs, by far, since the moment I first heard it. Sad that I’ll never have that experience again of walking into a shop and seeing a brand new record/tape of my favorite band that I had no idea was released.

Almost identical story! I was at the mall on a random Saturday morning and I saw Insomniac (on cassette, even) at The Wall (which eventually turned into FYE). Thought it was an older album or something. Bought it anyway and loved it.

• 2 months later...

Good to hear! I love GD but some of their represses over the years sound more like CDs pressed to vinyl. The Nimrod 2xLP was an improvement so I figured this would be as well. Plus, the orange color makes a lot more sense than the hot topic blue that came out a while back, imo. Looking forward to putting this on the platter.

5 hours ago, pushbacktosquare said:

Fairly certain stores will be getting the orange vinyl. 

That may be but I was replying to someone who was concerned about the price and I was simply pointing out there is a cheaper version out there if you don't care about the vinyl colour.

https://www.banquetrecords.com/green-day/insomniac-(25th-anniversary)/0093624884576