Cake- 'Fashion Nugget' Unofficial Yellow Pressing

I ordered it from here:

https://earcandymusic.biz/cake-fashion-nugget-lp-vinyl/

Seems to also be available on Rollin Records, and potentially elsewhere. Got my copy this week, but have yet to spin it. Good packaging for an UO press, can comment on sound quality later as I plan on listening to it at some point this weekend.

Now someone just needs to release 'Prolonging the Magic' and I will be a happy man...

21 hours ago, Sad Heart said:

Love this album. Grabbed a copy from Rollin. Thanks for posting. Maybe one day we’ll get a box set repress... 

I'm still mad that I ordered one of those sets and there were a handful that they printed shipping labels for and never attached them. So after waiting a couple weeks to ask why tracking hadn't updated they told me they messed up and didn't have any left. Considering they sell for like a grand now I'd be happy if they repressed that too.

3 hours ago, fish said:

I'm still mad that I ordered one of those sets and there were a handful that they printed shipping labels for and never attached them. So after waiting a couple weeks to ask why tracking hadn't updated they told me they messed up and didn't have any left. Considering they sell for like a grand now I'd be happy if they repressed that too.

Oh, man. That hurts. Sorry to hear that. I've got my fingers crossed for a repress for you.

Finally listened to this. Sounds pretty good overall, but has some small crackling on quieter parts, especially the B side for me.  'Sad Songs and Waltzes' suffers from it the most, imo, as it is one of the mellower songs on the album. Hard to notice once the songs get moving on most tracks beyond that. I only have a brush and liquid at the moment, so it may benefit from a good wash. No skips for me, just that sweet, crackly "warmth".  

Small tick sound on every rotation ONLY on the intro of 'I Will Survive'; didn't notice it as the song picked up or elsewhere on the album. Some sibilance on my copy during 'Stickshifts and Safetybelts', but in all fairness John Mcrea enunciates the hell out of those S sounds in the recording anyways. Only noticed issues with it in that one song 🤷‍♂️

Low end sounds excellent to me, which is essential for Cake; the bass really stands out. Stays true to the stellar production on this album. Disc is sturdy and flat with a quality jacket as well.

Not a perfect press, but the sound is pretty darn good in it's entirety. Very happy with the purchase, even at $30 for a frill-less unofficial press. Compared to some hip hop uo I have, looking at you 'Yeezus' 🙄, this is leaps and bounds better and is closer to the quality of a lazy pressing from the label.

Edited by kjkenney