The Future of Vans Warped Tour?

Today in my search around YouTube an interview with Fronzilla came recommended to me on No Jumper. Both of those things are usually not in the list of things I enjoy,  but I clicked on it anyways. It went about how I'd expect at first, talking about how he just didn't want to fake be a Christian Metal band, how he's influenced by Hip Hop, etc. However then it took a turn I did not expect.

According to him, he had slowly grown close to Kevin Lymann and on the 2018 Vans Warped Tour he offered to let Fronz buy the Tour. Fronz says it was more than he had at the time so he had to turn it down. He also claims that for legal reason that he didn't go into, Warped wouldn't be able to come back for another 3 years (2023? a 5 year blackout?) . He also claims that perhaps one of the reason it ended so abruptly is because of social media. He claims that Lymann started using things like Twitter more seriously and reading criticisms in hopes of improving the tour. However, it ended up that Lymann was just reading negative tweets too much and thought he had more to improve.

Fronz is still hopeful that he can buy it and start it up in a few years.

Thoughts? I'd be a little old for Warped Tour at that point, but I'd  welcome it back. Do I want it controlled by Fronz? Not really. Hopefully Lymann could find someone else ha.

43 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

Today in my search around YouTube an interview with Fronzilla came recommended to me on No Jumper. Both of those things are usually not in the list of things I enjoy,  but I clicked on it anyways. It went about how I'd expect at first, talking about how he just didn't want to fake be a Christian Metal band, how he's influenced by Hip Hop, etc. However then it took a turn I did not expect.

According to him, he had slowly grown close to Kevin Lymann and on the 2018 Vans Warped Tour he offered to let Fronz buy the Tour. Fronz says it was more than he had at the time so he had to turn it down. He also claims that for legal reason that he didn't go into, Warped wouldn't be able to come back for another 3 years (2023? a 5 year blackout?) . He also claims that perhaps one of the reason it ended so abruptly is because of social media. He claims that Lymann started using things like Twitter more seriously and reading criticisms in hopes of improving the tour. However, it ended up that Lymann was just reading negative tweets too much and thought he had more to improve.

Fronz is still hopeful that he can buy it and start it up in a few years.

Thoughts? I'd be a little old for Warped Tour at that point, but I'd  welcome it back. Do I want it controlled by Fronz? Not really. Hopefully Lymann could find someone else ha.

I'll gladly welcome it back. In the last several years, the only year I didn't care for was 2014 so I went to the APMA's instead. For less than $50 (some years I paid less than $30) there's always been at least 10 bands I'd enjoy seeing, usually closer to 20. Last year I donated blood and got to see Every Time I Die and Kublai Khan side stage which was sick. I know people have hated on Warped for years but I've loved going every year. You can't beat the price for what you get.

2015 might have been my favorite year because I got to see Citizen, Moose Blood, Koji, Grey Gordon, Have Mercy, Hundredth, Lee Corey Oswald, Being as an Ocean, Emarosa, Major League, Man Overboard, Night Riots, PUP, Pvris, Riff Raff, Seaway, Senses Fail, Transit, Miss May I and Crossfaith. My only regret was not seeing comedians because I'm a fan of Beth Stelling now. I also got to go twice because No Sleep gave me free tickets to one date.

But honestly 2018 was sick. I saw The Interrupters for less than it costs to see them do a headliner. Same goes for Chase Atlantic and Good Charlotte. Turnstile and August Burns Red played the Maryland date so we were very fortunate for that. They got some really big names for us.

11 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

2015 might have been my favorite year because I got to see Citizen, Moose Blood, Koji, Grey Gordon, Have Mercy, Hundredth, Lee Corey Oswald, Being as an Ocean, Emarosa, Major League, Man Overboard, Night Riots, PUP, Pvris, Riff Raff, Seaway, Senses Fail, Transit, Miss May I and Crossfaith. My only regret was not seeing comedians because I'm a fan of Beth Stelling now. I also got to go twice because No Sleep gave me free tickets to one date.

2015 was a great year on Warped. Saw Moose Blood as well, which apparently was their first show in the US. Caught the last 2/3 of the '68 set, Neck Deep, SF, Man Overboard, lots more. You can "Where's Waldo" me in most of the Main Stage YouTube recordings from that year.

Fronz sucks as a person, but I won't deny that he's a good businessman. He seems to have a knack for it, as evident in Stay Sick records and some of his other work. He MIGHT be able to pull it off, but even before the pandemic, festivals were having an extremely difficult time. So idk. Don't get me wrong, I would be stoked to have Warped Tour back! I agree 2015 was an excellent lineup because that's the year I went too. It just feels unlikely. 

Other than drinking free Yoo-hoo all day, my favorite Warped Tour memory was one of the early 2000s years when I saw Ozma and Something Corporate play to 10 people back to back at 11am and 11:30am. It was also cool to see the Aeffect with their original singer before they changed vocalists and quickly disappeared from everyone’s consciousness forever.

I don't know what people expect from Warped tour, especially moving forward. The festival was intended for teens and young adults, so that demographic should dictate who plays. I feel like most of the people who complained about the tour were older people who weren't gonna go anyways. Anybody who wanted the tour to "stuck to its roots" and only book punk, ska-punk and pop punk were clearly out of touch as to what this festival had to do to survive, which was cater to the new youth and their music tastes. I was in high school in the early 2010s, and all the "counter-culture" kids were listening to shit like Pierce the Veil, Sleeping with Sirens, Asking Alexandria, etc. as well as shit like Brokencyde and Breathe Carolina and that's who Warped was booking in the early 2010s. There was always a counter-culture aesthetic to the artist who played the tour, and in 2020 I'm not really sure what youth counter-culture is. 100 gecs? Poppy? I have no idea, I feel like most teens are listening to Travis Scott and Billie Eilish, who both have a grittier less pop aesthetic as is, yet they're both pop artists. Counter-culture went mainstream ironically, and that was the axe for Warped tour. What were they to do, do  they cater to the former 90s and 2000s demographic who's now older and want their nostalgia, or do you continue to be the festival for the youth, like its initial intentions?  I think we should just let Warped tour rest in peace and enjoy the times we had with it, whether it was in the 90s, 2000s, or 2010s.

Huh, not so much of a scoop then I guess. But honestly have not read AltPress in like 2-3 years now. Very click baitey now.

Also good points on Counter Culture stuff. I would say Lyman was actually pretty open about letting other genres in from the beginning. Breaking Eminem, Katy Perry, 30H3!, etc. I would say the rock guys didn't help nurture them at all and isolated them somewhat heavily.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but honestly can't think of any bands everyone is clammoring over for their freshman release, so can't say there's a new class of rock music to take their place either.

Edited by MCDELTAT