Josh Caterer Solo band (Smoking Popes, NRBQ) Live Record

Not sure if there's any interest in this around here, but...

"A live stream of Josh Caterer (lead singer and songwriter of The Smoking Popes) and his new solo band featuring John Perrin (drummer of NRBQ) an John San Juan (singer and songwriter of The Hushdrops) will take place from The Hideout in Chicago, IL on October 28th. A whole new show from Josh - Smoking Popes fans will not be disappointed. The entire show is being multi-tracked for release as a live LP with bonus tracks later on down the road."

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody!

Just wanted to follow up! The stream was live about 8 hours ago and will be available to view (for the $15 charge) for the next two days! It went swimmingly and I think the LP's going to really be fantastic - there's quite a few surprises in the set. The $15 goes towards getting everything mixed and mastered for a mid-2021 release! I'll post vinyl updates when I get them! The link to the stream is below!

https://noonchorus.com/hideout/

(By the way, I'm the member of NRBQ playing drums with Josh on this project!)

Edited by jpearin

10 hours ago, scottheisel said:

What's the music sound like? I wasn't super into Josh's most recent band, Jackson Mud, but I'm a longtime Popes fan.

Fans of the Smoking Popes will be very pleased! I'll elaborate...

I'm a lurker on here, full-time musician, past drummer for the Parasites, and current drummer for NRBQ and Josh Caterer (of the Smoking Popes). We performed and made an entire record of only first takes LIVE on stream last night via the Hideout in Chicago to be released on vinyl in 2021. The band features Josh, John San Juan (of The Hushdrops), and I. Now that the time of me trying to keep any secrets about the stream has passed, I can reveal a little bit more about it. This project was 60/40 - 60% songs that we considered classics of American Songwriting from the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s and 40% Josh’s own compositions from The Smoking Popes catalogue given new arrangements (some including Max Crawford of Poi Dog Pondering performing Flugelhorn and Trumpet - thanks, Max!). I’m a huge fan of both of those categories of songs! We also threw in a relentlessly unrehearsed rendition of a Nick Lowe tune made prominent by Elvis Costello that will NOT be on the record/final product. SO, if you forgot about the stream or are just now finding out, you can STILL PURCHASE A TICKET AND VIEW TODAY AND TOMORROW! Looking forward to this record! Vinyl will be coming in 2021! Tune in while ya still can!

https://noonchorus.com/hideout/

• 6 months later...

Heads up! We're making another new live record with all new material! Will be available on vinyl via Pravda Records later this year! Here's some more info and a link to the first one below!

Watch Josh Caterer (The Smoking Popes), John San Juan (The Hushdrops) and I make a new record via livestream this Thursday on May 13th! Here’s a clip from our last album ‘The Hideout Sessions’ which was released just a month and a half ago. We’re already ready for volume 2! This next record will be filmed at ‘Space’ in Evanston, IL featuring all new songs and even more special guests (such as Max Crawford (Poi Dog Pondering), Phoebe Caterer (Josh’s daughter), and more surprises)! The album will be released later this year on CD and Vinyl by Pravda Records! Really proud to get to play drums and make records with one of my favorite songwriters of all time and 2 of my favorite musicians. Watch me play with crossed fingers as I hope nothing goes wrong! Get a virtual ticket in the link below for the low, low price of $15! You can rewatch it unlimited times for a full 72 hours after!

https://noonchorus.com/josh-caterer/

• 9 months later...

resurrecting an old thread to tip folks off that, quietly, with minimal fanfare, the follow up to Hideout Sessions, The Space Sessions LP went up for pre-order this week (This has been out digitally for a while now)...

https://joshcaterer.bandcamp.com/

The SPACE Sessions follows in the footsteps of his critically-acclaimed early 2021 release The Hideout Sessions, which was recorded at the beloved small Chicago venue that album took its title from. Caterer reunites with bassist John San Juan (Hushdrops) and drummer John Perrin (NRBQ) for another electrifying performance, this time recorded at SPACE, an intimate concert hall on the city’s north side.

In keeping with the format of The Hideout Sessions, this powerful, poppy trio performed to empty house, live-streaming as a virtual concert event. Josh and his cohorts played with all the inspired intensity of the performance at the Hideout, but with an even more tangible sense of self-assurance. The band tears through an ambitious setlist including visionary arrangements of standards like the Etta James’ classic “At Last”, Frank & Nancy Sinatra’s “Somethin’ Stupid” (delivered here as a stirring duet between Josh and his daughter Phoebe) and a handful of original compositions, spanning the breadth of Caterer’s impressive songwriting catalog.
Caterer first burst onto the Chicago punk scene in 1991 with Smoking Popes who he formed with his brothers Eli and Matt. From their early indie releases to their critically acclaimed major label albums, Smoking Popes developed a unique blend of buzzsaw guitars, caffeinated rhythms and heartfelt crooning vocals.