MLB Discussion

Its not like they will be competitive any time soon being in the same division as the Rangers and Angels. I dont see why Seattle wouldnt trade King Felix either, they are absolutely horrible and, like the A's, wont be competitive for a while. Id rather they keep Felix though just so teams like the Red Sox and Yankees dont get him.

Have to have just enough hope to sell some tickets?

True. Just imagine the haul they could get for King Felix though, especially from a team like the Yankees.

Do you guys think that Felix could handle pitching in NY though? He has been great on a team where they arent expected to win 81 games let alone win 100 every year. Could he handle the pressure put on him from the media when he has a bad outing? I think would play alot into a pitcher.

Billy Beane is being out moneyballed by Tampa. I think thats great.

Billy Beane was just being dumb for a couple of years. They needed to do a complete rebuild but they thought that they could patch together an offense. They were wrong. PLUS, I wouldn't put it past them to trade all their good players in the hope that MLB realizes that a team in Oakland isn't working and they get to move to San Jose.

I see the Bailey trade as a positive for both sides. Reddick has shown talent at times and could develop into a major league player. Not a ton of power but a good hitter. Plus they got two prospects.

Sox get Bailey. An injury risk with great stuff at times in the past.

Seemed like a pretty fair deal.

at the same time.. think of how deadly that guy would be with an offense like the yanks behind him?

But how exactly would a good offense make him a better pitcher? He's a good pitcher regardless. A good offense would only help bolster his W-L record, which is pretty meaningless anyway (in terms of evaluating a pitcher's effectiveness).

at the same time.. think of how deadly that guy would be with an offense like the yanks behind him?

But how exactly would a good offense make him a better pitcher? He's a good pitcher regardless. A good offense would only help bolster his W-L record, which is pretty meaningless anyway (in terms of evaluating a pitcher's effectiveness).

You could make a case that a guy like Felix has to press to be perfect in order to win games. So if he does get into trouble (say, bases loaded, no outs) on the Mariners he has to try and get out of it himself (possibly giving up a big inning in the process), on the Yanks he just accepts he is going to give up a run or two and focuses on getting the guy at the plate out.

Not saying it's a rock solid theory, but I think it's possible that having an offense changes the way someone pitches. I'm sure the effect of leaving safeco would be a much bigger impact, though (if he ever does leave).

The Angles will not win the World Series this year. This is fact. Adding one bat and a decent pitcher does not make a shit team a contender.

Wilson's stats are overblown because he pitches in the West. Yes he'll still pitch in the West this year. But when (or if) it comes to play off time he goes from being an ace to a mediocre pitcher.

He was talking shit on the Angels for whatever reason in the NBA thread so I asked him to move it over here to continue the discussion.

He seems to just dislike the Angels which is fine but he's completely incorrect in calling them a shit team. In the last 10 years the Angels have been in the playoffs 6 times, won their division 5 times and won the World Series once. They have a great owner and an all around great franchise.

They now have the best, or at least top 2 or 3 rotation in all of baseball as well as possibly the best all around player in the game. They were already a pretty good team who just had a couple of down seasons the past 2 years.

They have a legit line-up this year and can compete with any team in the league. I fully expect Wells to get back to his career averages on the offensive side this year and guys like Trout, Trumbo, Bourjos all have more MLB experience under their belt going into this season. If Morales is healthy thats just another big bat they can add into their line up as well. My only concern is 3B but if Trumbo can handle that decently on the defensive side then they will be set at all positions. The pen is a little weak but adding guys like LaTroy Hawkins will help. Hopefully they can sign Madson as well to closer for a year or 2 til Walden is ready.

1B - Pujols

2B - Kendrick

3B - Trumbo

SS - Aybar

LF - Wells

CF - Bourjos

RF - Hunter

C - Ianetta

DH - Morales/Abreu

SP - Weaver, Haren, Wilson, Santana, Williams/Richards

Thats without having the #1 propect in all of baseball (Trout) from last year not in the line up.

So yea, not a shit team but if you'd like to offer any facts to counter that Im listening. Not saying they will for sure win the World Series but to say they arent even a contender to win it all is just stupid.

By the way, what team are you a fan of?

I think the Angels still need a few more players to make a run for the WS. Wasnt Ianetta demoted to the minors early in 2011? Their OF is weak, and Wells will never get back to his numbers. The rotation is really solid, not best rotation in the league, but many are saying it is in the top 5. The Angels remind me alot of the Braves in the 90's. Got a good team, can make the playoffs, but cant seem to do shit in the playoffs.

I'm a Red Sox fan, and before you jump on them I know and fully expect them to have a shit season.

So much to add here, but I don't have the time right now. So I'll just start with Trout. A #1 prospect means nothing if he can't make the transition to the big league. It's happened countless times before. Trout only batted .219 when he was up and he was striking out once every four at bats. He also only had 5 HRs and 16 RBIs in 123 at bats. None of those numbers are terribly impressive.

Im in no way saying they are the best team around now but at the same time, they can compete with any team in either league. I would put the Angels up against any other team and be completely confident they could beat them in the regular season or playoffs. I dont think the Rangers, Tigers, Red Sox or Yankees or that much better than the Angels, if at all.

Wells will be better than he was last year. Will he get back to the numbers he put up a few years ago, probably not but he was HORRIBLE last year. He will be better this year. Bourjos is going to be one of the best defensive OF players this year, or very soon and should be better at the plate as well. He needs to take some more walks cause he is insanely fast. Hunter can still play and this is the last year of his contract. Next year Trout will be playing full time and be a nice upgrade, I suspect. They have a lot of young talent right now.

Their weakest position is Catcher. I doubt Ianetta will be amazing but anyone's an upgrade from Mathis. Plus Conger is in the minors and he could turn out to be decent, we'll see.

Hopefully they can play Trumbo at 3B cause the rest of the IF is set.

The rotation is great, other than the Phillies I cant think of anyone who's got a better starting 5.

I'm a Red Sox fan, and before you jump on them I know and fully expect them to have a shit season.

So much to add here, but I don't have the time right now. So I'll just start with Trout. A #1 prospect means nothing if he can't make the transition to the big league. It's happened countless times before. Trout only batted .219 when he was up and he was striking out once every four at bats. He also only had 5 HRs and 16 RBIs in 123 at bats. None of those numbers are terribly impressive.

Trout hardly got any playing time. His numbers werent stellar but he looked good a lot of the time. Dude can flat out fly and having him and Boujos in the OF will really help an already great starting staff. Also not sure if you're aware but Trout is only 20 years old now. Dude is still super young so Im not worried about him at all. Most guys his age arent even close to being MLB ready.

Nationals are in the bid for Prince Fielder. That would be pretty sweet if they got him. I am just hoping that if they end up picking him up that the deal isn't longer than 5 years.

Everything Ive been reading says they are the front runner for Fielder. Would like to see him sign with a NL team and Washington seems like a perfect fit for him.