MLB Discussion

The Pirates have a couple of key young players, and they play in a terrible division, sadly they still wont finish near the top this year. Also, Im so pumped that douchbag Braun is a DTD, cant wait for him to hit the DL.

who are the key young players you're talking about? i'll just wait to hear, living here in pittsburgh probably paints a different picture than someone who lives in maine.

also, braun wont hit the DL, he'll be back tomorrow. why do you think Braun is a douchbag?

who are the key young players you're talking about? i'll just wait to hear, living here in pittsburgh probably paints a different picture than someone who lives in maine.

also, braun wont hit the DL, he'll be back tomorrow. why do you think Braun is a douchbag?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing? Why exactly is he a douchebag?

Braun is a douchebag for saying he is "vindicated" and didnt use PEDs because he won on a technicality. He didnt offer any evidence or reason as to why he tested so extremely high (highest anyone has ever tested in MLB or MILB) and just sticks with the guy didnt ship it fast enough.

As far as Pirates go they have Mccutchen, Mcdonald, Harrison, and got Cole, Bell, and Taillon in the minors.

Top 7 picks done so far

1. Houston Astros - Carlos Correa
  2. Minnesota Twins - Byron Buxton
  3. Seattle Mariners - Mike Zunino
  4. Baltimore Orioles - Kevin Gausman
  5. Kansas City Royals - Kyle Zimmer
  6. Chicago Cubs - Albert Almora
  7. San Diego Padres - Max Fried

Crazy that Apple still hasnt been picked. Dude's probably pissed right now haha.

Also the last time the Astro's picked 1st overall, they took Phil Nevin over Derek Jeter.

they were over .500 in july last year. dont start to congrat them until august or september. they wont stay over .500 if they're hitting .220 as a team

Trust me... i remember last year. They melted down in the second half of the season. It all went downhill after the ump blew the call at home plate against the Braves.

I'm just happy to have something to be optimistic about. I've been a Bucco fan for almost 20 years now. I was 7 years old when they last had a winning season.

They have a solid rotation and bullpen, just no power in the lineup. Cutch can only do so much.

Braun is a douchebag for saying he is "vindicated" and didnt use PEDs because he won on a technicality. He didnt offer any evidence or reason as to why he tested so extremely high (highest anyone has ever tested in MLB or MILB) and just sticks with the guy didnt ship it fast enough.

As far as Pirates go they have Mccutchen, Mcdonald, Harrison, and got Cole, Bell, and Taillon in the minors.

his privacy was violated during the entire PED testing process, none of this should have been known, and we will never know the results of the arbitration hearing because its a sealed closed case. we would have only known about any of this had the arbitration hearing found him guilty, which they didnt, and no one will know why because its a sealed closed case. He doesnt need to offer the general public any evidence or reason other than his performance this season, which is identical to his season last year so far. He must have had some compelling argument in his hearing to win, like how he took another independent test right after he got the results and showed no elevated testosterone, but he used the system set up in the CBA by the MLB and MLBPA to give players a chance to voice their case to a 3rd party "independent" arbitrator, and won. its bullshit anyone knows about this, but all he can do is go out and perform, and he has.

Cole and Taillon will probably factor in to the buccos rotation in a year or two, they're solid, but I dont know about Bell. it'll be awhile, they've got quiet a logjam in the OF in AAA/AAAA. they really have no offensive "threats" in their system at all, which makes me wonder why they drafted Appel last night (other than that he was the best player available at #8).. I could see them trading off one of these arms in a year or so as a key piece for an offensive player... but thats if they dont mismanage them like they did with Stetson Allie.

Trust me... i remember last year. They melted down in the second half of the season. It all went downhill after the ump blew the call at home plate against the Braves.

I'm just happy to have something to be optimistic about. I've been a Bucco fan for almost 20 years now. I was 7 years old when they last had a winning season.

They have a solid rotation and bullpen, just no power in the lineup. Cutch can only do so much.

last year was awesome living here, i grew up a brewers fan and rooted for the pirates since they were AL/NL teams and all of my friends growing up were pirates fans, and i still root for the buccos now, when they're not in the brewers way on the field.

McDonald looks legit, but, just like last year, I worry that Hurdle is going to overwork the entire pitching system and regression is going to hit hard in july/august again. But its the same story year after year, regardless of who the coach is. last year they came out of the all star game flat, i think they only had one or two games with more than 4 runs last year and I dont see how that could change with such a struggling offense this year. would love to see them succeed again, going to three rivers in the late 80s and 90s with my family was so much fun (as much as I remember), and when the fans are into it at PNC its incredible.

Do any of you guys subscribe to MLB.tv to watch out of market games? I went ahead and did it at the start of the season...I watch the Braves on my iPad and the Rangers on the TV. Baseball overload? Never.

I used to subscribe back in '06-'08... been thinking about getting back into it, or getting MLB extra innings through Fios.

his privacy was violated during the entire PED testing process, none of this should have been known, and we will never know the results of the arbitration hearing because its a sealed closed case. we would have only known about any of this had the arbitration hearing found him guilty, which they didnt, and no one will know why because its a sealed closed case. He doesnt need to offer the general public any evidence or reason other than his performance this season, which is identical to his season last year so far. He must have had some compelling argument in his hearing to win, like how he took another independent test right after he got the results and showed no elevated testosterone, but he used the system set up in the CBA by the MLB and MLBPA to give players a chance to voice their case to a 3rd party "independent" arbitrator, and won. its bullshit anyone knows about this, but all he can do is go out and perform, and he has.

This is my exact thought, we were never supposed to even know anything was going down. As far as I'm concerned something just got really messed up and its not just a technicality situation. I feel like he's handled the whole situation as best as he can, and I don't feel like he got away with anything because people will forever just believe that he got away with it because some guy had it in his house over night. I'm sure it will go away sooner or later, but I've not seen much to really call him a douchebag, and that's not just me speaking from a Brewer Fan stand point. I believe I would say the same for any player in the game of baseball that this happened to.

Also when I'm not rooting for the Brewers I wind up rooting for the Reds(its completely a family thing Cincinnati is just home), but in terms of this season the Reds might be a good one to be rooting for. I find myself extremely conflicted since they're both in the NL Central but I deal with it. I'm happy when both are doing well or one is doing well.

if I were an NL pitcher, and I knew that I was 100% clean, I would throw at Ryan Braun's head. It would be hard to miss as all the HGH he's done inflating his head size.

On the topic of PEDs, I wish that all players had to submit blood samples to at least make the process a little more honest. Sure, some guys will still find ways and cycles to beat the system. The problem with blood tests becomes the supplemental information that is available with blood tests.

All of this aside, baseball has been fun to watch this year: some no-hitters, some almost no-hitters, and some good rivalries brewing. I feel that the addition of the second wildcard team will make the playoff race that much more fun down the stretch.

My issue with the Braun situation doesnt come from him not having to say anything, it comes from him saying he had a reason and would have the truth come out, and then says he is vindicated because of the technicality. Nevermind that the 3 seals on the container were all intact and showed no tamperment with them. Had he just said from day one that he cant discuss it and it shouldnt be made public then I would feel for him, but him acting like he is 100% clean and has good reasons for it to test postitive and that we dont know the whole case, then act like getting off on a technicality makes him 100% innocent is stupid. Also throw in the fact that MLB itself doesnt believe him and wants to still punish him, and I am leary.

As far as the Pirates drafting Appel, baseball teams usually draft the best talent available opposed to filling a need, as it can take so long to get to the majors, if at all, and get traded so often, that it doesnt make sense to try to fill a hole out of the draft.

if I were an NL pitcher, and I knew that I was 100% clean, I would throw at Ryan Braun's head. It would be hard to miss as all the HGH he's done inflating his head size.

On the topic of PEDs, I wish that all players had to submit blood samples to at least make the process a little more honest. Sure, some guys will still find ways and cycles to beat the system. The problem with blood tests becomes the supplemental information that is available with blood tests.

All of this aside, baseball has been fun to watch this year: some no-hitters, some almost no-hitters, and some good rivalries brewing. I feel that the addition of the second wildcard team will make the playoff race that much more fun down the stretch.

I think you're some how mistaking Barry Bonds with Ryan Braun. not sure how you did that...

MLB started testing for HGH back in February for the first time, they cannot test during season, but during off season and spring traning they can test. Its apart of the new CBA and Joint Drug testing agreement.

My issue with the Braun situation doesnt come from him not having to say anything, it comes from him saying he had a reason and would have the truth come out, and then says he is vindicated because of the technicality. Nevermind that the 3 seals on the container were all intact and showed no tamperment with them. Had he just said from day one that he cant discuss it and it shouldnt be made public then I would feel for him, but him acting like he is 100% clean and has good reasons for it to test postitive and that we dont know the whole case, then act like getting off on a technicality makes him 100% innocent is stupid. Also throw in the fact that MLB itself doesnt believe him and wants to still punish him, and I am leary.

As far as the Pirates drafting Appel, baseball teams usually draft the best talent available opposed to filling a need, as it can take so long to get to the majors, if at all, and get traded so often, that it doesnt make sense to try to fill a hole out of the draft.

MLB believes they have a 100% perfect system in place, and they believe all arbitrators should, in terms of deciding on suspensions due to PED/Steroid use, side with MLB. the fact that MLB fired Das makes MLB look foolish. He did his job, he made his decision after the facts were laid out by both the MLB and Brauns parties, and they fired him for not agreeing with them.

from december 2011, in brauns initial statement to the press, read the bold.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2011/12/ryan-braun-steroids-50-game-suspension-appeal/1

Braun, 28, who was aware of ESPN's forthcoming report, issued a statement via his agency:

"There are highly unusual circumstances surrounding this case which will support Ryan's complete innocence and demonstrate there was absolutely no intentional violation of the program. While Ryan has impeccable character and no previous history, unfortunately, because of the process
we have to maintain confidentiality and are not able to discuss it any further, but we are confident he will ultimately be exonerated
."

MLB believes they have a 100% perfect system in place, and they believe all arbitrators should, in terms of deciding on suspensions due to PED/Steroid use, side with MLB. the fact that MLB fired Das makes MLB look foolish. He did his job, he made his decision after the facts were laid out by both the MLB and Brauns parties, and they fired him for not agreeing with them.

from december 2011, in brauns initial statement to the press, read the bold.

http://content.usato...ension-appeal/1

Braun, 28, who was aware of ESPN's forthcoming report, issued a statement via his agency:

"There are highly unusual circumstances surrounding this case which will support Ryan's complete innocence and demonstrate there was absolutely no intentional violation of the program. While Ryan has impeccable character and no previous history, unfortunately, because of the process
we have to maintain confidentiality and are not able to discuss it any further, but we are confident he will ultimately be exonerated
."

Yeah, I mean what's the point of having an arbitration meeting if the MLB is just going to want the arbitrators to side with them. Just seems a little bit unprofessional to be like "oh you tested positive, and if you want to appeal you can, but the cards are stacked we only have people in the room who will side with us..so you might as well just say you're guilty now" I'm glad the guy stood up with what he felt was right.

No one knows the actual reason they fired him, but Im sure it is because he made the sport look bad. In the public eye they see Bruan as a cheater, and that this arbitrator let him off the hook based on it not being mailed over the weekend in a city he wasnt familiar with. The test was still positive for PEDs, the container wasnt tampered with and now MLB looks bad for letting a cheater get away with it. So they fire the guy that made the decision happen since they cant get their hands on Braun.

No one knows the actual reason they fired him, but Im sure it is because he made the sport look bad. In the public eye they see Bruan as a cheater, and that this arbitrator let him off the hook based on it not being mailed over the weekend in a city he wasnt familiar with. The test was still positive for PEDs, the container wasnt tampered with and now MLB looks bad for letting a cheater get away with it. So they fire the guy that made the decision happen since they cant get their hands on Braun.

to each their own, i guess. what do you say about the fact he took another test, done at an independent testing site, a week after getting the results back that came back negative? the two tests were a week and a half/two weeks apart

on a different note, this draft is definitely going to be interesting. kids being quoted they want $7 million signin bonus when they're a 3rd rd pick, teams drafting players more likely to sign for cheap v. players that could potentially be higher on the charts... the Appel pick will probably be a litmus test for future Boras draft clients... #8 spot gets $2.9, the most the pirates could get him if they sign everyone for below slot is $4.4, and he was slotted to be the #1 overall and get over $6mil from the Astros.

also, I love how they have to be signed or not by July 13th now instead of mid august. gets these kids a chance to get into the minors earlier

Possible Bruan knew he tested positive on the first test and used a masking agent on the second test? I dont know much about the second test at all (how the first one SHOULD have been handled, but cant change the past now).

I think it is great that picks need to be signed earlier, teams can get a better read on the talent and get them through the minors a bit faster. I think it is great that teams are taking the most signable ones, its letting the talent slip further down the line making them sign for less. In a sport like baseball where so many kids never make it to the majors, its good they arent signing them for top dollar. Hell, Homer Bush was a cant miss number one pick at SS who was called Arod but better and he is now floundering in Tampa's minors as a relief pitcher after getting washed out of baseball as a hitter and fielder.

I need to start checking in with this thread more often. There is a solid discussion going on here.

I'm with selfreliable about Braun - I wanted to vomit when he started tossing around "vindicated" and talking down the tester.

Michael is correct as well however that this is a sealed case and a lot has been left to speculation as to why the suspension was overturned.