MLB Discussion

Michael Young is old and may have hit the wall but he also had one of the best seasons of his career the year before last (.380 obp, .474 slg, 106 RBIs). It's a big gamble on what they are going to get this year. It could work out for them.

i like the gamble. he registered his lowest BAbip last year since his rookie year in 2001 and put a ton of balls in play, with career lows in walks and strikeouts and 26 GIDPs. if he shows more patience i wouldn't be surprised to see him contending for comeback player of the year

I don't understand why the D-Backs were so willing to get rid of Justin Upton.  What was wrong with him.  Especially him hitting his prime.

He's a good player but he's not incredible.

I wouldn't project anymore improvement for him. 5 big league seasons. I think he is what he is -- 20 homers, 20 steals, .285 average. No holes in his game, nothing that really jumps out. If you can still get that shiny prospect luster on him and turn him into 4 guys to restock, I think it's a good move.

I remember when the Durham Bulls had Delmon Young, B.J Upton, and Elijah Dukes.  Those three supposedly being the next big thing in the majors.

Then they all got in trouble.

got to see them all play back in the day. one perk of living in durham haha. is dukes even signed to a team? like anywhere?

edit: just looked him up. holy hell, what a fuckin waste.

yeah, LOL

Records from an anti-aging clinic in Miami list the names of prominent baseball players -- including Alex Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera and Gio Gonzalez -- and detail performance-enhancing drugs administered to them and others, according to a report Tuesday by the Miami New Times.

The names were on records Miami New Times said were given to them by an employee who worked at Biogenesis of America before it closed last month. Miami New Times reported that the records show the firm sold performance-enhancing drugs, including human growth hormone, testosterone and anabolic steroids.

Anthony Bosch, the 49-year-old head of the clinic, was connected to Manny Ramirez when the former MLB star was suspended for 50 games for violating baseball's drug policy in 2009. Bosch has never been charged by local or federal officials.

Miami New Times said it conducted a three-month investigation before releasing its 5,400-word story online on Tuesday.

Saturday, ESPN's Outside The Lines reported that Major League Baseball was investigating multiple wellness clinics in South Florida, as well as individuals with potential ties to players. The report said that the area from Boca Raton to Miami is "ground zero" for performance-enhancing drugs still filtering into the game.

Rodriguez, the New York Yankees slugger who ended 2012 injured and on the bench during the playoffs, has admitted to using steroids from 2001-03, but he has said he has not used PEDs since. The New Times report said that Rodriguez's name shows up 16 times in the records it reviewed. One record, which the newspaper reported was part of Bosch's private notebooks, indicated Rodriguez paid Bosch $3,500 for "1.5/1.5 HGH (sports perf.), creams test., glut., MIC, supplement, sports perf. Diet." HGH is banned by MLB.

There are other notations for Rodriguez as well, beginning in 2009 and continuing through last season. The New Times reports that other drugs listed for Rodriguez include IGF-1, a banned substance that stimulates insulin production and muscle growth, GHRP, a substance that releases growth hormones and testosterone creams.

Rodriguez had hip surgery last month and is expected to miss some or all of the 2013 season.

Miami New Times reported that Cabrera, who signed a $16 million free agent contract with the Toronto Blue Jays during the offseason, is mentioned 14 times in the report. He was suspended last August for violating baseball's performance enhancing drugs policy while a member of the San Francisco Giants. The paper cited entries last April indicating Cabrera "has enough meds until May 4" and indicating what the paper terms a "cocktail of drugs including IGF-1."

According to the report, Bosch openly bragged of supplying drugs to Rodriguez.

Major League Baseball issued a lengthy statement Tuesday in response to the New Times story.

"We are always extremely disappointed to learn of potential links between players and the use of performance-enhancing substances," the statement begins. "These developments, however, provide evidence of the comprehensive nature of our anti-drug efforts.  Through our Department of Investigations, we have been actively involved in the issues in South Florida.  It is also important to note that three of the players allegedly involved have already been disciplined under the Joint Drug Program."

The statement added that MLB has implemented many recommendations of the Mitchell report and feels that it's Department of Investigations in conjunction with local and federal law enforcement has made great strides in policing the game.

Before adding that the investigation is ongoing and the league won't comment further, the statement did say: "We remain fully committed to following all leads and seeking the appropriate outcomes for all those who use, purchase and are involved in the distribution of banned substances, which have no place in our game."

Nelson Cruz of the Texas Rangers has not been disciplined for PED use by the league; however, he is listed on a July 2012 record, with a notation from Bosch that "need to call him, go Thur. to Texas, take meds from April 5-May 5, will owe him troches and∧ will infuse them in May." Troches, according to Bosch's notes, are a type of drug lozenge which Miami New Times said includes testosterone.

The Rangers issued a statement Tuesday, saying: "The Texas Rangers were contacted late last week by Miami New Times regarding the story posted this morning. At that time, the Rangers contacted Major League Baseball on that inquiry. The team has no further comment."

Gio Gonzalez, the Washington Nationals left-hander who led the league with 21 wins last season and was third in Cy Young voting, appears five times, including one charge for $1,000.

His father also appears, but he told Miami New Times that he was there to lose weight and that his son is "as clean as apple pie."

"And if I knew he was doing these things with steroids, do you think I'd be dumb enough to go there?" he said, according to the New Times.

Pitcher Bartolo Colon was suspended last season for violating baseball's performance-enhancing drug rules. Bosch, in his notes, says Colon's monthly fee was $3,000, according to Miami New Times.

Other names listed in the records obtained by Miami New Times include Cesar Carrillo, a former University of Miami pitcher, Jimmy Goins, the strength and conditioning coach at Miami for nine seasons, Cuban boxer Yuriorkis Gamboa and professional tennis player Wayne Odesnik, who was banned from tennis for two years in 2010 for allegedly trying to bring HGH into Australia.

The New Times reported that it sent detailed letters to all of the people to be named in its story asking for comment, but none responded.

On Jan. 27, Bosch told the New Times: "I can't really say anything to you," and added that his attorney would be in touch.

According to the report, the former secretary for Biogenesis said there shouldn't be any question as to what athletes were looking for from Bosch.

"He sold HGH and steroids," the person said, according to the New Times. "Everyone who worked there knew that was what our business was."

Pujols won't get busted for roids, he'll get busted for his age

I'm not sure this will really matter in terms of things like the Hall of Fame and records. There's no minimum age in baseball. Joe Nuxhall pitched at 15 years old.

It might be used to void later years in his contract if it could be definitively proven but it wouldn't put an asterisk next to any of his stats.