MLB Discussion

Laird just signed a two year deal so he won't be getting traded this season.

So what? I believe Crawford was in year 2 of a 7 year deal. Isn't that a little "crazier"?

I like G-Money. He's a solid dude. But I'm pretty sure he still wants to be at a minimum a backup major league catcher so if Gattis sticks around, I could see him wanting out.

Unless your point is that Gattis will stick around, Mccann will go, and Laird will stick around to be the backup next year (or something like that).

Then again, I'm not sure you could get anything for Laird anyways. An A-ball prospect? A backup OF? Not even sure it is worth it to try and trade him. 

I don't know. So much still has to happen. But I guess my point was that I don't think any decision is made around Laird. He'll stick around if needed or could be sent away for a long reliever if that is needed more.

Unless your point is that Gattis will stick around, Mccann will go, and Laird will stick around to be the backup next year (or something like that).

this is what i think will happen. i don't think it'll do the braves much good to have two solid catchers, especially when there's no space on the field to try to convert gattis. either one will make good trade bait, or mccann will stay for the season until he hits free agency.

I don't see the Braves trading or sending Gattis off at this point, they suffered so much from a lack of offense last year they will keep him around. So either McCann is okay with a 50/50 job or he goes and Laird stays or goes based on that.

but their offense this year is outstanding (so far). gattis is good but he's not as impactful relative to the rest of the lineup, hitting between/behind two uptons, freeman and heyward... and uggla, very infrequently

Yeah fuck Quenten. When you fucking stand on top of the plate pretty much, dont be a bitch when you get hit by a pitch. They're up by a run and the dude honestly thinks Greinke wants to hit him with that pitch? Give me a break. Such garbage. Matt Kemp wanted to fuck him up in the worst way after the game and I wish he did. 

Yeah fuck Quenten. When you fucking stand on top of the plate pretty much, dont be a bitch when you get hit by a pitch. They're up by a run and the dude honestly thinks Greinke wants to hit him with that pitch? Give me a break. Such garbage. Matt Kemp wanted to fuck him up in the worst way after the game and I wish he did. 

amen dude.  fuck him.  what a fucking troll. 

Quentin got hit by a 3-2 pitch in a one run game in the 6th inning. He is one of if not the top people in the Hit By Pitch category. Yeah thats a real reason to charge the mound. He is going to get headhunted this season. The Dodgers are going to have their most accurate pitcher on the mound when they hit him in the head. MLB better do Quentin a favor and find a way to suspend him 60 games because thats about how long Grienke is going to be out. Thats assuming Quentin doesn't get DL'd before then.

I don't believe any major leaguers today would throw at the head of another player intentionally. If they did, they would miss well above to "send the message" but it's still just a game. One thing to give them a stinger on their ass or maybe even break a bone in their arm, a whole nother level to potentially kill a player with a headshot.

I still haven't seen the game either but I'm not convinced that just because it is a close game, doesn't mean a player getting plunked cannot be intentional.

Not sure if it was or wasn't, but the only time I think you could for sure say "look at the situation...he wouldn't mean to hit him" would be in the playoffs or a team in the stretch run who really needs that game. I believe there are players / managers / teams who would intentionally hit a guy even if it meant the loss of 1 game out of 162 if they felt that he REALLY deserved it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-mlb-pays-gain-access-045018263--mlb.html

Also, apparently Grienke hitting Quentin may have been a response to Marquis throwing "high and tight" at Kemp in the first inning which he got out of the way of.. I was wondering where the drama started. Seems like a good fit.

^ That exactly

I'm not advocating headhunting but it didn't make sense that Grienke would hit him in that situation with that count. If he just plunked him on the first pitch I'd understand but not a 3-2 count. I think he'll get headhunted because of the injury, because in this case it would not be simple retaliation. Just my opinion. Who knows maybe they'll take the high road (probably not.)