MLB Discussion

I think the thing that they have going for them is that they are in that "already have a $125 million payroll. Can't go back. Might as well go for $150 and try and compete" area. At least that is what I would think. Could easily see them going out next year and getting 2 new starting pitchers and a 3rd basemen, maybe $20 million a year between the three players.

They will certainly do something about the pitching but might have to wait for the offseason cause they have nothing to trade now from that farm system and not really much they can afford to give up from the MLB team that anyone would actually want. Unless someone is looking to just dump salary I dont see how they fix the pitching situation on this team mid-season.

They signed Callaspo on a 2 year extension which runs thru next year just to bridge the gap til Kaleb Cowart is ready which will proably be sometime next year (hopefully). So they should be ok at 3B if that pans out, even though Cowarts numbers are down a little this year. He's still really young though.

They desperately need starting pitching right now. Their staff is an embarrassment. They have to score 10 runs every nite to win. Luckily they have some deep pockets and should be able to shell out for some pitching but they also have this Trout guy they need to work on locking up soon and he could end up in the $300M range if the contract is for long enough. I dont see how they can give him any less than what Pujols is getting and he should get more considering his age.

The $300 million for Trout talk might be high now that he is having a good season but has taken a step back. If he keeps it up this year, he will go about 30 / 30 with a .280 average, around 100 runs and 100 rbis. It's really, really good. But it's not "holy shit, this guy is the best player in baseball at 21" good.

Trout's age / skill combination might get him the biggest contract in MLB history due to the length of the contract but right at the moment, I'd say Cabrera and Braun both deserve to be paid more (at least, per year). Neither of those guys are THAT old either.

So that's a long way of saying -- If we are betting over / under on Trout's first big deal topping $300 million, I'll take the under.

And Kaleb Cowart has a career average of .265 in the lower minors with modest power. That's a guy you hope things turn out for but you don't structure your big league team to create a spot for him. Probably just as likely to never bat in the big leagues as to be a starting 3B at this point in his career. MLB had him as 62 prospect this year. Can't see the 62nd prospect of the 2011 year but look at how many even in the 30-50 range are even in the majors this year:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2011/

I think the days of paying players insane amounts of money are over, especially with all these busts like A-Rod, Mauer, Hamilton, Pujols, Zito, Santana, Crawford, etc.

I do sorta agree with you. I think that the 7 year contract is going to be the norm for the Mega-Star with the per year salaries continuing on the current path.

But you could also just as easily have pointed to contracts like Mike Hampton, Mo Vaughn, and a whole bunch of others in mid-2000s and said the same thing. Teams are owned by billionaires and they don't know how to spend their money smartly. Sometimes they act like a woman with a gift card to a shoe store.

machado has almost identical stats as trout did through their first 95 games respectively (courtesy of espn). they also both had lackluster debuts when they were first called up. perhaps profar already got his lackluster debut out of the way with last year's brief stint! not saying he'll make a big impact, but if he does, it'll make a strong team even stronger.

Hats of to Scherzer last night. Fucking A, we couldnt do anything against him. lets just hope we have Verlanders number like we did last time. Actually for it being Verlander, we dont do that bad against him. In 30 career starts against us he is 14-14 with a 4.57 ERA

Somewhat related -- Luke Scott might not be in the league anymore but he was a legit tiger-killer for a while.

We have also lost a lot more games to the Mariners over this regime (say, since the trade for Cabrera) than we should have based on their general record against other teams. Olivo got us a bunch.

Hats of to Scherzer last night. Fucking A, we couldnt do anything against him. lets just hope we have Verlanders number like we did last time. Actually for it being Verlander, we dont do that bad against him. In 30 career starts against us he is 14-14 with a 4.57 ERA

verlander has been historically mediocre versus cleveland, and i like them to win tonight with this reborn ubaldo jimenez guy!