MLB Discussion

No talk about Petit setting the consecutive hitless innings streak? I think that is more impressive than Kershaw's scoring run he had this year.

Kershaw is dominant. Petit is a serviceable reliever who had a lucky streak.

Some records are also just not considered as important. I don't remember people making a gigantic deal about Buehrle either. Scoreless innings streak is much, much more coveted.

Kershaw is dominant. Petit is a serviceable reliever who had a lucky streak.

Some records are also just not considered as important. I don't remember people making a gigantic deal about Buehrle either. Scoreless innings streak is much, much more coveted.

Considering he did it both in relief and in starts and was able to bounce back and forth between the two and still keep teams from getting a hit Id say it is pretty damn impressive.

It is impressive, but it's like Charlie Blackmon going 6 for 6 or Fernando Tatis hitting 2 grand slams in an inning -- when a nothing player does it, it's assumed to just be a stroke of luck and no one is going to dwell on it for a long time. Nice story for a day or two. That's it.

It is impressive, but it's like Charlie Blackmon going 6 for 6 or Fernando Tatis hitting 2 grand slams in an inning -- when a nothing player does it, it's assumed to just be a stroke of luck and no one is going to dwell on it for a long time. Nice story for a day or two. That's it.

Well said. I agree with everything you've said about Petit's streak. Great examples by the way. I remember earlier this year people were getting excited and a hard on for Chisenhall after his 3 home run 9 RBI game. Sure, it was an impressive game, but I have never thought that he was anything more than a journeyman infielder. He just just a had really hot game and a nice couple of weeks, ie Domonic Brown to name another.

i've been welcomed to the big apple with tickets for the sox/yanks tomorrow. only problem is that i have to go straight from work.. anyone know if they're cool with backpacks?

i read the stadium's policy on bags, and it kind of side steps addressing backpacks.

• Each Guest is welcome to bring one bag into Yankee Stadium provided the bag is soft-sided (e.g., diaper bags or small purses) and its dimensions do not exceed 16 inches by 16 inches by 8 inches as stipulated by Major League Baseball security regulations. Briefcases, coolers and hard-sided bags and containers are not permitted. All bags will be thoroughly inspected before they are permitted into the Stadium. Bag- size bins will be used at inspection points, and bags and their contents must fit without assistance, modification or adjustment. There is no storage area for any items that do not meet security requirements.

i'll definitely be taking a trip to citi soon. it's only 20 minutes away, and i got all sorts of giddy when i drove by today.

the only bummer about tomorrow is that i can't watch football!

nevermind.. somehow, it's a 90 minute train ride from me. can't even begin to wrap my head around the bronx being 40 minutes quicker by subway than queens.

Kershaw has gotta be the NL MVP, right?

Maybe Stanton but the team.

If not Clayton, who? Hunter pence?

If it ends up being a position player, and the Marlins make a run then it's definitely Stanton. Depending on the same for how their teams do, I think Posey, McCutchen, Freeman have slim outside chances.

and just for comparison sake because I don't think Freeman has been brought up a lot, here are his stats side by side with Pence (through today). He has about 40 less at bats and doesn't really compete in the speed categories.

R      H      2B   3B   HR   RBI    SB   AVG    OBP    SLG    OPS

Pence                 101   172   29    10   19    69     12   .297     .349    .479     .828

Freeman              89    156   38     4    18    70      2    .289     .387    .475     .862

Funny how things change -- Detroit not a lock to even take a wildcard spot

Not sure if this is supposed to be a zinger or something, but it's been obvious for a while. Tigers were the best team in baseball a quarter of the way into the year but the remainder has not been good at all (May be below .500)