MLB Discussion

Glad no one here is defending Braun. Man, I can't stand that guy.

Dodgers broadcasters last night mentioned how all the fans boo him when he comes up to bat and how they don't blame them.

He isn't universally hated by Milwaukie fans anymore, but pretty much everywhere else he is booed.

As for A-Rod, I think it's just a matter of how recent that wound is for the comissioner (granted it wasn't even his issue). Seems like it takes a full season of non-issue to get back to a point where it's not taboo to recognize a player for being good sans steroids.

I dont get how Braun gets in but A-Rod was never considered. Arod is having a better season and is coming from a year off and a messed up hip. I dont understand how baseball chooses which cheaters to embrace and which ones to shun. Bonds and A-Rod get shunned for tainting the game, yet Braun, Melky, Cruz and Peralta are welcomed back no problem. Yeah Bonds and A-Rod might be confrontational, but neither one of them called another person a racist and had them lose their job over a lie.

I think the Bonds and A-Rod shunning is a result of their place in history. These other guys are good players, but their historical impact isn't as big.

I think the Bonds and A-Rod shunning is a result of their place in history. These other guys are good players, but their historical impact isn't as big.

Thats my thought too.  Those players were generational players.  Both put up numbers that would have put them in the 10-15 of all time.  Basically it goes back to the bigger they are the harder they fall.

What annoys me a bit about Braun is that Braun was a generational player for the Brewers.  It looked like he was going to go down in history as equal to or greater than Robin Yount or any other Brewer great.  In the same way that Bonds and A-Rod were the face/s of their era Braun was the face of the Brewers.  When the face of the league or of an individual team gets caught cheating it's bigger than just a scandal involving the player.  Its a scandal that taints the entire league or franchise.

Why some Brewers fans are willing to forgive Braun annoys me.  Yes Braun is still a borderline elite franchise, but he's not a player that the team can build a contender around.  Rebuild, remove the cancer that is Braun, trade anyone else you can and try and start trying to rebuild the way the Brewers did in the early 2000s.  

Thats my thought too.  Those players were generational players.  Both put up numbers that would have put them in the 10-15 of all time.  Basically it goes back to the bigger they are the harder they fall.

What annoys me a bit about Braun is that Braun was a generational player for the Brewers.  It looked like he was going to go down in history as equal to or greater than Robin Yount or any other Brewer great.  In the same way that Bonds and A-Rod were the face/s of their era Braun was the face of the Brewers.  When the face of the league or of an individual team gets caught cheating it's bigger than just a scandal involving the player.  Its a scandal that taints the entire league or franchise.

Why some Brewers fans are willing to forgive Braun annoys me.  Yes Braun is still a borderline elite franchise, but he's not a player that the team can build a contender around.  Rebuild, remove the cancer that is Braun, trade anyone else you can and try and start trying to rebuild the way the Brewers did in the early 2000s.  

I hadn't thought about Braun in that sense. Thanks for the insight!

Hate that the Brewers rep for the All Star game is Ryan Braun.  Can't wait til he is long gone.  I get he's still good at the baseball but the Brewers aren't going anywhere so just do whatever it takes to trade him away.

I'd seriously be happy if he were traded for a few borderline prospects.

he's not their rep, he's an injury replacement for Holliday.  KRod is the rep.

lets not forget that there are other admitted PED users that the fans voted in.  Braun wasnt voted in, the manager selected him.  Outside of April the Brewers havent been a bad team, and I think its kind of sad to see Milwaukee fans so quickly look at burning down the house because how last season ended and what got Ron fired to start this year.  

I enjoy Braun, he's a great player still, even with a half numb hand.

I dont get how Braun gets in but A-Rod was never considered. Arod is having a better season and is coming from a year off and a messed up hip. I dont understand how baseball chooses which cheaters to embrace and which ones to shun. Bonds and A-Rod get shunned for tainting the game, yet Braun, Melky, Cruz and Peralta are welcomed back no problem. Yeah Bonds and A-Rod might be confrontational, but neither one of them called another person a racist and had them lose their job over a lie.

Managers decision.  Clearly, the AL manager didnt want to have A-Rod on his team.  

it like, blows my mind that Brewers fans would honestly embrace returning to a team like the early 2000's.  I dont know how old you are, but holy christ, those teams were AWFUL, and there is no certainty that ending up in last place, and getting top 5 picks for years in a row, will turn out like it did then.  They were awful for a decade PRIOR, and couldnt get out of that funk, theres no sure thing when it comes to the MLB draft.

I have a hard time settling for mediocrity.  Plus I think the Brewers roster is in a pretty bad shape.  Gomez needs to be traded or will be gone after next season.  I just can't see the Brewers giving him a mega contract.  With Gomez the only players that I would call core players left on the Brewers roster would be Lucroy, Braun (depending on what you think of him), and maybe Nelson / Peralta.  I'd also put Orlando Arcia in there as a core piece too, I've enjoyed watching him develop so much over the years.  That core needs a ton of help and the Brewers aren't going to be able to fill in the roster through free agency.

Which is why I'd like to see the Brewers trade off Lucroy assuming his value is extremely high.  Gomez has to go this season or in the offseason.  I'd like for Braun to go just to remove old bad blood and let the Brewers just move forward.  Guys like Nelson and Peralta I wouldn't trade but I would also listen to offers for them.  If a team blows you away, then move forward.

With the Brewers minor league system rapidly improving the high end prospects would put the Brewers in a good position to be competing in 2-3 years again.  Hopefully the Orlando Arcia turns into the stud SS that I think he will be.  The Brewers have a nice stable of lower upside prospects in the middle minors, Tyrone Taylor, Reed and a nice stable of high upside Lara, Gatewood, Harrison, etc.  

I just view the Brewers right now as a building that is falling down.  No matter how much money you spend trying to patch it up its still got a crumbling infrastructure.  I thought the Garza and Lohse additions were good moves to keep the Brewers in contention enough to try and catch lightening in a bottle.  Last year was kind of that exact scenario.  I just view it as now being the time to condemn the building and move on.  Perhaps we could keep the team intact and try and add another patch or two next offseason and maybe we could compete for a Wild Card but I'd rather just try and accelerate the rebuild that IMO has to happen at some point.

i don't know the brewers very well, so as an outsider i tend to agree with riff raff. the division is very strong at the top and it doesn't look like that is going to change. the brewers as they currently stand are not challenging the pirates or cardinals and it looks like they've got a couple guys that they could get rid of to change their image and build something new again. i could be way off.

you're right, mediocrity sucks, but you know what is worse?  flat out terrible.  .500 baseball is way more fun to watch than .350 baseball.

The team has been much better as a whole around since the Diety took over the helm, and makes me wonder what could have been had they not gone 5 - 17 in april, since 14 of those loses were to NL Central teams.

Man, I didnt realize the Derby was that much, especially when you got to sit in the outfield for any hope of catching anything. Have fun though, hell of a way to spend three days.

I'd assume they make you buy everything (right?), so it really doesn't matter if they mark the derby $50 and the game $200. It's a few hundred bucks for the package.

I've always wanted to see a stipulation added where players caught using preformance enhancing drugs or using other means of cheating being banned from any form of MLB award.  Get caught for PEDs banned from All Star games, and MVP, Cy Young contention for the rest of your careers.

This is strong punishment but nothing will have a bigger impact than nullifying contracts when a guy is caught. I'm sure there are plenty of guys who wouldn't really care if banned from the All-Star Game (3 days of vacation) if they were bringing in $25m / year. I know they aren't close but I think they will get there eventually. It is borderline fraud to sign a contract that was earned on PEDs.

Your punishment is also pretty inconsistent unless you also strip guys of previous MVPs if caught.

This is strong punishment but nothing will have a bigger impact than nullifying contracts when a guy is caught. I'm sure there are plenty of guys who wouldn't really care if banned from the All-Star Game (3 days of vacation) if they were bringing in $25m / year. I know they aren't close but I think they will get there eventually. It is borderline fraud to sign a contract that was earned on PEDs.

Your punishment is also pretty inconsistent unless you also strip guys of previous MVPs if caught.

I just don't see how the Players Association would ever agree to that.  I believe I mentioned earlier that after the initial Braun PED issue he got lucky on I was calling for the Brewers to try and void his deal.  I'd be all about enacting a voiding of contracts.  Hell I'm all for getting crazy strict with their punishments.  Void contracts would be great I just don't want to fathom what sort of concession the Players Association would want for this.

I would strip prior MVPs and such from players caught for PEDs.  When I bought up banning players from All Star appearances for PEDs it wasn't as much to punish the player.  All Star games should be to showcase everything right with the sport.  I don't want the games to be tainted by players who have made a mockery of the game.

With that said it's just sports so in reality nothing that happens there affects my life so I shouldn't spend time thinking about it.

you're right, mediocrity sucks, but you know what is worse?  flat out terrible.  .500 baseball is way more fun to watch than .350 baseball.

The team has been much better as a whole around since the Diety took over the helm, and makes me wonder what could have been had they not gone 5 - 17 in april, since 14 of those loses were to NL Central teams.

The issue isn't .500 baseball vs .350 baseball to me.  It's .500 baseball knowing that each year is only going to get worse.  I'd be all about full on rebuild depending on how confident I am in whoever takes over for Melvin at the end of the year.

The issue isn't .500 baseball vs .350 baseball to me. It's .500 baseball knowing that each year is only going to get worse. I'd be all about full on rebuild depending on how confident I am in whoever takes over for Melvin at the end of the year.

Seems like full rebuild has gotten tougher since they took away the compensatory pick incentive to trade for rental players.