MLB Discussion

Almost got that no hitter.... :'(

Yea that would have been the icing on the cake. Kicking the Red Sox's ass and picking up Teixeira was awesome but that no hitter would have been amazing.

I was in class during the game and our teacher is a huge Angels fan so he stopped the lecture to watch it. Even though we won it, he was still pretty pissed the rest of the night. BREAKING OUT THE BROOM ONCE MORE!

The age thing is a slightly moot point because most of the Angels players are right around Texiera's age if not older and you can't build around Kotchman. Plus Kotchman is cheaper for a good reason, specifically he's not as good. :)

We'll see if the Angels are able to re-sign Teixeira at the end of the year. If not, the Braves may come out ahead (if the Angels don't win the WS, that is).

Guest baseball

A little late to the party, but I liked this trade a lot for the Angels. They could have easily just looked at their record and decided they didn't need to do anything.

But their what, I think 19th in runs scored? 22nd in slugging? I think that's what they said on BBTN last night. They needed a bat and they went out and got it without giving up that much. The Braves got a good solid and cheap 1B and a prospect. That seems like a reasonable return to me on a potential 2 month rental player.

The Angels haven't typically made these kinds of trades so I have a feeling they've got their eye on opening up the bank to sign Teixiera to an extension at the end of the year. They're one of the few teams that will be able to afford him and they tried to sign Konerko a couple years ago. If the Angels can sign him to an extension this trade looks even better.

Lot of interesting trades going down this year.

We need to dump bay and get 4 high quality prospects.

The Buccos need blown up, it's the only way we'll win.

Pitching

Pitching

Pitching

ACK!

i totally disagree. i liked the nady trade, that brought some arms in right now. what we need to do is build through the system though. our 20th round pick, Miller, was projected as a low 1st round or high sandwich round pick. we need to shower him with money and get him to sign. Schepers was a top 10 pick before he got hurt. he needs to be signed too. also his teammate, the superstar from the college world series, needs to be signed. we have about $24m off the books in that one trade from what i was reading off a pirates site. use that and sign all the high ceiling high school kids we drafted and all the 1st 10 picks.

Bay is one of the best in the game currently, has been every year since he came up (minus last year with the bum knee). he said he loves playing here and only really wants around $10m a year. sign him to this long term and use him, along with Doumit and McClouth to build around. Bautista is fucking terrible and needs to go. LaRoche needs to sort his head out or leave. you can't not hit for 3 months then suddenly put up some of the nicest numbers the game has ever seen. Wilson has stated before he plans to retire in a few years anyways, so may as well trade him to the Dodgers with a terrible GM at their helm and them being desperate for a SS. give Bixler his spot and see how the kid can do. Pearce would do well at first, and Doug has been good there too. the pitching staff, heading into this season, was to be one of the best young staffs in the game. if 3 of those guys hit their potential next year, i think we'll be in decent shape. Gorezalenni i think is hurt, so that's a lot of his problem. Sanchez is also hurt, and has been all season. so hopefully this is a fluke season and not a sign of things to come.

here's how i'd like to see their lineup next season and beyond:

1- LaRoche or Pearce

2- Sanchez (if he sucks next season, cut your losses and move on)

SS- Bixler

3- Doug - to be replaced by Avalrez when he's ready

R- McClouth

C- McCutchen

L- Bay

C- Doumit

Bench:

Morgan

Duffy

Paulino

Rivas

Michaels

Staff:

Maholm

Duke

Snell

Gorezelani / Herarra

Karstens/ Ohlendorf

The age thing is a slightly moot point because most of the Angels players are right around Texiera's age if not older and you can't build around Kotchman. Plus Kotchman is cheaper for a good reason, specifically he's not as good. :)

We'll see if the Angels are able to re-sign Teixeira at the end of the year. If not, the Braves may come out ahead (if the Angels don't win the WS, that is).

I think the Angels will resign Teixeira. I think he will want to stay in So Cal. He has been on shitty teams his whole career. I think he will want to stick around for a while. If he leaves after this year and the Angels dont win the WS this is a bad trade. We shall see.

We need to dump bay and get 4 high quality prospects.

The Buccos need blown up, it's the only way we'll win.

Pitching

Pitching

Pitching

ACK!

i totally disagree. i liked the nady trade, that brought some arms in right now. what we need to do is build through the system though. our 20th round pick, Miller, was projected as a low 1st round or high sandwich round pick. we need to shower him with money and get him to sign. Schepers was a top 10 pick before he got hurt. he needs to be signed too. also his teammate, the superstar from the college world series, needs to be signed. we have about $24m off the books in that one trade from what i was reading off a pirates site. use that and sign all the high ceiling high school kids we drafted and all the 1st 10 picks.

Bay is one of the best in the game currently, has been every year since he came up (minus last year with the bum knee). he said he loves playing here and only really wants around $10m a year. sign him to this long term and use him, along with Doumit and McClouth to build around. Bautista is fucking terrible and needs to go. LaRoche needs to sort his head out or leave. you can't not hit for 3 months then suddenly put up some of the nicest numbers the game has ever seen. Wilson has stated before he plans to retire in a few years anyways, so may as well trade him to the Dodgers with a terrible GM at their helm and them being desperate for a SS. give Bixler his spot and see how the kid can do. Pearce would do well at first, and Doug has been good there too. the pitching staff, heading into this season, was to be one of the best young staffs in the game. if 3 of those guys hit their potential next year, i think we'll be in decent shape. Gorezalenni i think is hurt, so that's a lot of his problem. Sanchez is also hurt, and has been all season. so hopefully this is a fluke season and not a sign of things to come.

here's how i'd like to see their lineup next season and beyond:

1- LaRoche or Pearce

2- Sanchez (if he sucks next season, cut your losses and move on)

SS- Bixler

3- Doug - to be replaced by Avalrez when he's ready

R- McClouth

C- McCutchen

L- Bay

C- Doumit

Bench:

Morgan

Duffy

Paulino

Rivas

Michaels

Staff:

Maholm

Duke

Snell

Gorezelani / Herarra

Karstens/ Ohlendorf

By the time McCutchen, Tebata, Alvarez are in their primes Bay will be dead on those knees.

The only way we should trade Bay though is if we're blown away.

Doumit is good, but he still needs to pick it up defensively and learn better game management. I hope he's learning a thing or two from Chavez who is an incredibly defensive catcher.

If Maholm is our staff Ace we're in big trouble. He's pitching great now, but we need a true Ace if we want to compete for real.

supposedly the Dodgers want Wilson. they're now desperate for a SS. krib, how do you feel about Matt Kemp? :D

also i wouldn't trade bay. he's his own agent. he want's 10m a year. he wants to stay here. he's well worth it. lock him up long term and you can have cutch and McClouth out there for one great outfield. maybe one of the better ones in history.

We're NOT that desperate (god I hope we're not that stupid either). Kemp has the ability to be amazing and his stint as the lead-off man has seem to change his approach. He had an 8 pitch at-bat against Matt Cain and ended up one-handing a hard single right up the middle. A tear came to my eye. Trading Kemp for a dude who's slugging percentage is like .325 isn't a good idea.

I think the Angels will resign Teixeira. I think he will want to stay in So Cal. He has been on shitty teams his whole career. I think he will want to stick around for a while. If he leaves after this year and the Angels dont win the WS this is a bad trade. We shall see.

He's always made it very clear that he's tired of moving around mid-season and would like to play near his home in Baltimore. So we'll see what he does.

supposedly the Dodgers want Wilson. they're now desperate for a SS. krib, how do you feel about Matt Kemp? :D

also i wouldn't trade bay. he's his own agent. he want's 10m a year. he wants to stay here. he's well worth it. lock him up long term and you can have cutch and McClouth out there for one great outfield. maybe one of the better ones in history.

We're NOT that desperate (god I hope we're not that stupid either). Kemp has the ability to be amazing and his stint as the lead-off man has seem to change his approach. He had an 8 pitch at-bat against Matt Cain and ended up one-handing a hard single right up the middle. A tear came to my eye. Trading Kemp for a dude who's slugging percentage is like .325 isn't a good idea.

MLB article on kemp

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080729&content_id=3220423&fext=.jsp&c_id=la&vkey=news_la

MLB article on kemp

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080729&content_id=3220423&fext=.jsp&c_id=la&vkey=news_la

That's a good article. I like Kemp and Ethier. I think its the makings for a great outfield for a long time. Just have to drop the stiffs (Pierre and Jones) - or get them hitting.

He's always made it very clear that he's tired of moving around mid-season and would like to play near his home in Baltimore. So we'll see what he does.

Its possible Baltimore makes a run at him but I think that's a long shot. I do believe the Angels have the team and the money to pay him and keep him around long term. Anaheim is a nice place to play. Not too much pressure, nice climate, and good teammates not to mention a great manager.

Its possible Baltimore makes a run at him but I think that's a long shot. I do believe the Angels have the team and the money to pay him and keep him around long term. Anaheim is a nice place to play. Not too much pressure, nice climate, and good teammates not to mention a great manager.

Yea and who the fuck wants to play for Baltimore? haha They wont make the playoffs for atleast the next 15 years the way the AL East is going. The Angels got the money and are in a great place in a big market and play in a nice stadium and are a great team. I cant imagine anyone not wanting to play there.

Yea and who the fuck wants to play for Baltimore? haha They wont make the playoffs for atleast the next 15 years the way the AL East is going. The Angels got the money and are in a great place in a big market and play in a nice stadium and are a great team. I cant imagine anyone not wanting to play there.

I'm thinking the Angels will need to make a decision between Teixeira and K-Rod -- I'm not sure they can afford both, what with the other crazy contracts they've handed out lately (Matthews, Hunter, etc.).

That was the best part about Kotchman -- he was cost-controlled.

I think the Angels really need to figure something out at SS. The two-headed monster of Aybar and Izturis is horrendous.

That's a good article. I like Kemp and Ethier. I think its the makings for a great outfield for a long time. Just have to drop the stiffs (Pierre and Jones) - or get them hitting.

The Dodgers need to cut their losses with Pierre and Jones. Colletti is a moron.

Good thing Plaschke and Co. ran Depodesta out of town. I mean, who needs an intelligent GM anyway?

The Dodgers need to cut their losses with Pierre and Jones. Colletti is a moron.

Good thing Plaschke and Co. ran Depodesta out of town. I mean, who needs an intelligent GM anyway?

Plaschke is an idiot. Never really warmed to Depodesta to be honest either. Not sure what goes on in the front office at Dodger town. Dodgers make almost as much money as the Sox and the Yanks but seems to spend like they have no cash except in certain dumb situations like Kevin Brown, Andruw Jones, Juan Pierre, and Sean Green.

Guest baseball

As much as I'd like to see Teixeira come back here, I just don't see it. He's always said it, but Scott Boras is his agent and Andy MacPhail does not seem like he's going to be handing out any long-term contracts anytime soon. Angelos could always step in and say "sign him, whatever it takes" though so who knows. O's certainly have the money to do it if they want to.

I'm just stoked that the O's are finally headed in the right direction. MacPhail has turned their farm system around so much. We've got some serious impact guys like Weiters and Tillman in the minors and some other really nice prospects like Reimhold, Arrieta, Rowell and soon to be Matusz. When Reimhold comes up (.860 OPS with great plate discipline), a Markakis, Jones, Reimhold/Scott outfield is going to be really solid. When Keith Law said he thought about the O's as a top 5 farm system but not quite there yet the other day, I almost shed a tear, it's been so long.

It'd be great if we could trade Sherrill for a shortstop, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I'm thinking the Angels will need to make a decision between Teixeira and K-Rod -- I'm not sure they can afford both, what with the other crazy contracts they've handed out lately (Matthews, Hunter, etc.).

That was the best part about Kotchman -- he was cost-controlled.

I think the Angels really need to figure something out at SS. The two-headed monster of Aybar and Izturis is horrendous.

Id rather sign Teixeira than K-Rod. Shields and Arrendondo are looking like they can handle the late innings. I know Arrendondo has only been up for a short time but he looks good. I dont think Frankie is worth the money is going to be asking for at the end of the season. Yes I know he will get the saves record this year but he is anything but automatic. Hes a great closer tho.

You must be joking about Izturis and Aybar tho. They both hit and both are great on defense. I think Aybar is the shortstop/2 hitter in the Angels future. Guys got a cannon and good range, hes fast and gets on base. Izturis comes up with big hits ALL the time.

Plaschke is an idiot. Never really warmed to Depodesta to be honest either. Not sure what goes on in the front office at Dodger town. Dodgers make almost as much money as the Sox and the Yanks but seems to spend like they have no cash except in certain dumb situations like Kevin Brown, Andruw Jones, Juan Pierre, and Sean Green.

Totally. They always go for the overpriced veterans in place of their young talent.

Take the recent Casey Blake signing. Is Colletti fucking serious with that? Way to block one of your best prospects (LaRoche) with a 34-year old journeyman sporting a career .447 SLG and very mediocre defense.

Totally. They always go for the overpriced veterans in place of their young talent.

Take the recent Casey Blake signing. Is Colletti fucking serious with that? Way to block one of your best prospects (LaRoche) with a 34-year old journeyman sporting a career .447 SLG and very mediocre defense.

The problem is also management and ownership are far too scared of fans being pissed with a struggling young player. That said, people say LaRoche is the second coming of Ron Cey but I personally haven't seen it. Maybe he just needs PT, quite possible, but there's been no shining light from him at all. I doubt Blake will be around next year to be honest and watching him over the last few games his defense has actually been nice.

So Boras is saying that after this year he's gonna try and get 230 million for 10 years for Tex. Not worth it. Unless, of course, he starts juicing. Then he might be worth it.

Fuck that! Hes good but isnt THAT good. Who the fuck does he think he is? A-Rod?

A-Rod isn't that good either.